Christmas gift question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas gift question

[quote=zff;216952]Ok, so let's say you bought your close friend a $20 gift, but you haven't given it to him/her yet. You and your friend both make about the same amount of money and have about the same expenses. Later, you find out this friend bought you a $250 gift. Would you still give your friend the $20 gift, or would you try to find him/her something more expensive? (Assume your friend would enjoy either gift equally.)quote]

I haven't been lucky enough to have such a friend, but I think it's a rather "cuckoo" situation to be in. Perhaps you can make it up by taking that person out to an expensive dinner, or something, afterward. Then, make some sort of comment later on during the year prior to the following christmas not to go nutz on your xmas gift. Also, not buying them another, more expensive gift, in place of your original one will help deliver the message that you're saving for retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      I went to Walmart today...
      bought many $20 gift cards and Xmas cards for them.
      I'm done! Phew, that was hard. HaHa!

I spend as much time weekly with friends and loved ones thoughout the year.
      Being as good a friend or loved one as I can. By being helpful, etc.
      That is much more important than presents. IMO
      Gift cards "were" always a good backup plan for me until a warning was issued these last few days that some of these big box retailers could go under by this Xmas. Macy's, Nordstrom, Walmart and BestBuy were some that were mentioned. I wouldn't put Sears anywhere out of the picture. They were in trouble a few years ago. I'd reckon things are pretty shakey for them as well. If they file bankruptcy, no one can collect on their gift cards.

I would be very cautious about gift cards this year.

Comment

Christmas is just another recent hypocritical 'holiday' celebration of the 'great forgetting' of all our real and continuous cultural heritage. I'm referring to the heritage we can trace back 20,000 to a couple million years ago, before we imagined the 'one God' in whose image we were supposedly made, before we imagined that that 'one God' gave us the world to conquer and rule over, before that 'one God' supposedly told us to be fruitful and multiply, before we imagined that we are born broken (original sin) and need to be 'fixed' (saved). Yada, yada, yada...
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

That is why for those who don't believe in Christ, Christmas has been renamed and celebrated as "The Holiday Season" so people can go on giving gifts to one another for no apparent reason and buy Christmas Trees to decorate them for no apparent reason, etc.

The celebration of Christmas is for those who believe. Like I said before, for everyone else...it's just another day.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            That is why for those who don't believe in Christ, Christmas has been renamed and celebrated as "The Holiday Season" so people can go on giving gifts to one another for no apparent reason and buy Christmas Trees to decorate them for no apparent reason, etc.

The celebration of Christmas is for those who believe. Like I said before, for everyone else...it's just another day.
            Yes, the just another day syndrome that is shown by the school system, which years ago renamed "Christmas Break" to "Winter Break". And renamed the "Christmas Show" with children singing Chrismas songs, to the "Winter Festival" with children singing "Jingle Bells" about riding thru the snow in Hawaii. No more "Silent Night", "We Wish You a Merry Christmas", and "Do You Hear What I Hear".
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              Yes, the just another day syndrome that is shown by the school system, which years ago renamed "Christmas Break" to "Winter Break". And renamed the "Christmas Show" with children singing Chrismas songs, to the "Winter Festival" with children singing "Jingle Bells" about riding thru the snow in Hawaii. No more "Silent Night", "We Wish You a Merry Christmas", and "Do You Hear What I Hear".
              My neighbor invites all of us over to her house every Christmas for "Non-Secular" holiday singing. She basically takes traditional Christmas songs (some very holy) and rewrites the lyrics to appease the non-secular crowd.

Talk about cultural insensitivity!
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
              X