Star-Bulletin to End Neighbor Island Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star-Bulletin to End Neighbor Island Distribution

I did see it at the 7-Eleven. So maybe that store and a few others will still carry it. Craig, is it still at the Wiki Wiki in Keaau?

Comment

It's sporadic there. Some days there's a delivery of SB, somedays it's only the Tribune and the Advertiser. The cashier tells me sometimes they get nothing or it comes late. I get the feeling that whoever drops off the papers to the air cargo shipper either can't or won't do it or is either late or has higher priorities. Either way as of now delivery of the SB to the Wiki Wiki Mart in Kea'au is not consistant.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

From Burl Burlingame's Check6 Honolulu:

Here's a note from Maui: Just thought I should let you know despite the newspaper ceasing home deliveries, some residents are choosing to take the Honolulu Star-Bulletin by second-class mail, rather than subscribe to the Honolulu Advertiser. Eleanor Watanabe of Wailuku Heights who turned down an offer to have the Honolulu Advertiser for free said the Honolulu Star-Bulletin had "class." Second-class mail delivery enables readers to receive the newspaper either same day or next day -- the monthly subscription is $19.95 weekdays or $31 for seven days.

This could be an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
          From Burl Burlingame's Check6 Honolulu:

Here's a note from Maui: Just thought I should let you know despite the newspaper ceasing home deliveries, some residents are choosing to take the Honolulu Star-Bulletin by second-class mail, rather than subscribe to the Honolulu Advertiser. Eleanor Watanabe of Wailuku Heights who turned down an offer to have the Honolulu Advertiser for free said the Honolulu Star-Bulletin had "class." Second-class mail delivery enables readers to receive the newspaper either same day or next day -- the monthly subscription is $19.95 weekdays or $31 for seven days.

This could be an alternative.

That's ironic because the SB told me that they would not deliver via mail to the Big Island period. I told them too bad because I wanted to continue my subscription when I left Honolulu.

Comment

They brought a vending machine back to the Downtown Hilo post office (on the mauka side)!

Comment

That's good however there's a lot of ex-Honoluluans (?) moving into the Puna area primarily the Pahoa and Keaau districts. Keaau is the fastest growing district in Hawaii because housing prices are still relatively low.

Everywhere I go in Keaau, people tell me they moved from Honolulu within the year. SB really needs to transact here in this district.

Comment

I was at the Downtown Hilo Tesoro service station across the bay and went in for a Pepsi Vanilla (I know some people think it tastes like puke but hey I guess I like puke right?) and alongside the Hilo Tribune was today's issue of SB! Yeah amazing. I just drove past the Downtown Hilo Post Office and saw the SB vending machine there and was debating whether to double park and quickly get a paper but then I figured that paper would cost me a ticket if I stopped traffic there.

So SB is still availabe at some locations however none in Kea'au. Too bad cuz they going lose 75-cents for everyday I no can buy em. Eh 75-cents may not be big bucks, but you wait jus when da tax man comes knocking on SB's door asking for payment or default on their operations, the grim reaper will tell SB, "Braddah wassup with dis? How come you no can cough up one measly 75-cents? Too bad shut em down guys, shoulda sold one papah to brudda Craig in Kea'au.

Yeah right den I wen wake up! But stay true! SB available at Tesoro gas station in Downtown Hilo too! Goin cost me dallah for gas to get em plus da 75-cents. Mo betta stay with Advertiser which is still available in Kea'au.

Wassup wit da pidgin? Ho man being in Kea'au is taking it's toll on my good engrish.

Comment

Not only is the Bulletin available at those places but today I saw a machine at McDonald's (on Ululani St.) and it's never been there before (at least for as long as I can remember), and the one at Long's (on Kilauea Avenue) has been brought back.

Comment

Hmmm maybe SB is reading these posts!

One thing I have noticed lately is the Hilo Tribune's new print look. Wow is all I can say! It definately has the look and feel of a big city paper now. I picked up a copy and was reading it and for a moment I thought I was reading the Advertiser!

Comment

The latest on the Star-Bulletin's availablity:

vending machines gone outside Prince Kuhio Safeway and Long's, though still available in Safeway

available at the Hilo 7-Elevens, as well as the Wiki Wiki Mart by Waiakea High and UH-Hilo

available at McDonald's (the Ululani branch is the one I most often visit) both by vending machine and, beginning November 1, at the drive-up window. (Before then, only the Tribune-Herald and Advertiser were sold at the drive-up.)

To Craig and other Big Island residents, What's the availability like where you live?

Comment

Nothing in Keaau so far as I know, used to be the Wiki Wiki Mart in Orchardland but it was increasingly sporadic to the point where getting it there became too inconsistant to go look for it. I just read it online now and buy my Advertiser at McDonalds in Keaau 10-miles away. Too bad because the Wiki Wiki Mart lost my patronage as a result.

Comment

Another paper back in town, at least at 7-Eleven, is USA Today. Ironically, the nation's largest-circulation newspaper hasn't been regularly available in Hilo since mid-2001, when the vending machines were removed and even Borders stopped selling it. An ad in the Gannett-owned Advertiser yesterday bragged that USA Today is printed on Oahu, thus eliminating the one-day delay some places had. That could also be a factor in its sudden reappearance in Hilo.

Comment

Working...
                          X