Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Noisy Neighbors

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
    i nicely replied....."um i wanted to find out if everything is okay.....no party tonight?" she answered "no moa kala---why da kine our music ste loud?" of course i replied "DUH" and i walked off
    I'm surprised. I thought you're a party kind of guy. Maybe because there's a local chick, it wasn't a sausage party.
    Oh No, You Didn't. (in a Rosie Perez voice)

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to turtlegirl,in our neighborhood,i have somewhat of the same problem and our neighbor's younger son rev's up his modified moped and then finally one day,the local authoritie's caught up with him and he had to sing some paper's for him even not to drive his father's truck or car without a adult present and he's a wild youth.

then last week,a new couple who moved in to our neighborhood, that one day the couple.the husband and wife started to fight and then one of our loyal neighbor's called our local authoritie's and then they came in minutes and then the local authoritie's told them both to cool off and then while they were headed possibly to the local authoritie's station, the husband told his wife to s.u. the h.c.k up and she did and so our younger neighbor's father's car also has his alarm go off in the middle of the night and this annoy's me so i feel how you feel is we also have noisy neighbor's only now our neighborhood we have a citizen's watch program which was started by our nice lady neighbor and we all watch one another's home's and people who wouldnt belong here.maybe this is something you and your neighbor's could start and it could help you to get better sleep.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
        the husband told his wife to s.u. the h.c.k up
        Euphemism of the day - thank you, sansei.

TG, I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor troubles. In your short time there, you've been experiencing the best and worst of life on O`ahu, it seems (though most of the "worst" scenarios don't seem to be unique to Island living, but many of the "best" ones do).

The only advice I would give is to do your best to put aside thoughts of revenge or anger, and see if you can work out a calm solution with the neighbors. You and they might be living in proximity to each other for some time to come, so you don't want a constant animosity between you, or that could taint every single day in some fashion.
        Last edited by Leo Lakio; November 24, 2008, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          I'm surprised. I thought you're a party kind of guy. Maybe because there's a local chick, it wasn't a sausage party.
          Oh No, You Didn't. (in a Rosie Perez voice)
          *laughs out really really loud*

that is why i walked off

punk - LOL
          stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            they're driving me bonkers!! Their alarm goes off every morning at about 5:05AM...What's a good aloha way to handle them?
            Set your alarm clock to 3:30 every morning and aim it at their home playing Hawaiian music.

Or call them up at 4:05am to remind them their alarm will go off in an hour and to turn it down when it does so you can get some sleep.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I donno TG, it sounds to me like either you're sensitive to sound (not that there's anything wrong with that) or you live in a place that provides no sound isolation. There's just too many things going on to make me think the problem is with the neighbors.

My advice is to either find a way to cope or to move. When all is said and done, I think that's what it's going to come down to. While no one should be subjected to noisy neighbors, at the same time no one should have to tip-toe in their own apartment just because the walls are paper thin.
              Last edited by GeckoGeek; November 28, 2008, 12:33 PM. Reason: soften the tone

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                I donno TG, it sounds to me like either you're sensitive to sound (not that there's anything wrong with that) or you live in a place that provides no sound isolation. There's just too many things going on to make me think the problem is with the neighbors.
                I have to agree with this statement. Because of the high cost of development in Hawai‘i, the proximity between homes is extremely close. This is so the seller can offer the most square footage on the lots. That should have been in instant red flag when you decided to move into that place. When I go to an “open house” model home, the first thing I look for are the windows. I want to see the view — namely that of the neighbor’s home. If it's close enough to see them undressing, I know that meeting my neighbors and “talking story” with them will be high on the “to-do” list — before a situation like this develops.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

A friend of mine just recently moved from a new home in Mililani Mauka to an older home in Pearl City. A key reason was the fact that the homes were way too close together.

Parking was nearly impossible ("like Waipahu on New Year's, but every day"), especially given the way The Association polices how and where you store your car. But she mostly disliked how her home and her neighbor's home were practically touching at the roof, and how she could hear them -- on still nights -- using the bathroom. Let alone other activities you'd rather not think about your neighbors doing.

One of the first apartments I lived in was in Waikiki, and literally four feet from our bedroom window was the parking garage of the adjacent hotel. Just below, a busy bus stop on Kuhio Avenue. The noises were overwhelming... so much so, though, that you started to tune them out!

Comment

I'm in Enchanted Lake, and maybe a lot of the houses here were built without insulation(?) and also are very close together. I can totally hear neighbors peeing in their bathrooms in the middle of a still night, lol! My place is an ohana, but my wonderful landlady and her grandson who live in the front part of the house have never woken me up. Its just these particular neighbors on one side, and the construction of a new house across the street, and one neighbors' pack of 9 howling dogs that aggravate me evey morning from 5AM until I leave for school at 8:45AM.

I'm not moving (ever!). I love this place, and I really love our landlady. She's the best and she treats us like family. I have off street parking and utilities included in the rent. My garden is taking off. I finally figured out how to get around town and back home again. No way am I moving.

Maybe part of the problem is these 4 giant picture windows that the next door neighbors have, the ones that they slam shut every morning - they face right at our bedroom window, and a lot of sound carries thru them. It sounds like their kitchen and bedroom are rightthere.

I see that it could be worse, though! Thankfully we dont have an AM garbage truck, or late night rock band, or motorcycle gang, or domestic violence in the neighborhood!
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I'm in Enchanted Lake, and maybe a lot of the houses here were built without insulation(?) and also are very close together. I can totally hear neighbors peeing in their bathrooms in the middle of a still night, lol!
                      Wow! What do they have separating the units? Shoji screens?

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      One of the first apartments I lived in was in Waikiki, and literally four feet from our bedroom window was the parking garage of the adjacent hotel. Just below, a busy bus stop on Kuhio Avenue. The noises were overwhelming... so much so, though, that you started to tune them out!
                      I spent my formative years just a 10 minute drive away from one of the busiest international airports in the world. To this day, I can still tune out just about any ambient sound. I often wonder at what cost, though.

What were we talking about again???
                      Last edited by Vanguard; November 28, 2008, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I would rather have a little house on a big lot than a big house on a little lot.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm in Enchanted Lake, and maybe a lot of the houses here were built without insulation(?) and also are very close together.

more than likely the houses in your area do not have insulation. probably single wall construction like ours. we all put up with our neighbors' nuances. that's life. thankfully, like you said, there's no domestic situations (that we know of) going on. families have been neighbors/friends for over 50 years.

glad to hear that you and sven are treated like family by your landlords.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          reflect, repent and reboot.
                          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Not just lacking in insulation, but "open air" where the louvers and open windows are the rule. Of course that does absolutely nothing to block any sounds.

At my mom's house in Kaneohe, you have to learn what the neighbor's phones sound like so you don't run for the phone when theirs rings. The one on either side is loud enough that it sounds like it's right in the house.

Comment

What's the best way to handle this? Earplugs? I want to yell at talk to the neighbors, but I don't want to cause any problems. After all, I'm just renting this awesome Ohana, which is perfect except for these particular neighbors' morning activities, which are killing me!!! Although, they've never been particularly nice to me - most times when I wave or holler Hi, they seem to pretend not to see me, even when they walk their dogs right past me. I want to be as nice as possible, which means no running outside in my robe and screaming at people early in the morning, no matter how baaaaadly I want to!

What's a good aloha way to handle them?
                              Chances are that if your neighbors get up at the crack of dawn every morning, they are headed to work. The last thing their tired bodies want to deal with is a neighbor who complains that they cannot "sleep late" because of the working neighbor's morning routine noise.

Instead of perhaps setting yourself up for having a neighbor who's gona show you who really "runs the neighborhood", you might consider getting up yourself every morning a few minutes before their scheduled noise begins and simply shut your windows, and go back to bed.

I want to be a fly on the wall if you decide to tell your neighbors to be more quiet in the morning.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                                My neighbors have weekly outdoor karaoke parties in which children are encouraged to scream into microphones around midnight.
                                Hey, we might live in the same neighborhood, I have a neighbor like that too. Sunday afternoons, too.
                                Last edited by Amati; November 30, 2008, 09:56 AM.
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X