Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noisy Neighbors

Question Noisy Neighbors

they're driving me bonkers!! Their alarm goes off every morning at about 5:05AM, and its so loud it sounds like its under my pillow. They also have another reallly loud alarm or cellphone that goes off about 25 minutes later. Then there's the banging and yelling. Apparently they make breakfast really loudly. And wash dishes very loudly. They yell speak to each other very loudly, at 5somethingAM. And they're just generally very loud to the point where it sounds like they are right there in my bedroom every morning!! The worst part is that I can hear them slamming (literally, slam, slam, slam, slam! ) their windows shut before there's any peace in my room, which comes at about 6:45AM.

At which point the construction job across the street starts up their circular saw, over and over and over and over, at about 3 minute intervals! Can't they just cut all their wood that they need for the early morning on the afternoon before?? Is it some kinda surprise - "oh, wow, looky, we gotta trim the windows today? Gee, I could never have seen that a'comin' yesterday evening!" Aaaaaarggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! They're never ever as loud throughout the day as they are at the 6:45 to 8:45AM times!

My BF is super sweet and the first thing he does when he gets up at 6AM is close the windows on that side so that I can try to get an extra hours' sleep.

But by then the damage is already done. I can't sleep past 5AM most weekdays. It goes like this - neighbors alarm is LOUD and then those loud people keep me up, then other neighbors dogs start howling and barking, then the wild chickens start their thing, then the doves and pigeons do their shrieking right outside my window, then the sun is too bright to even try to ignore it, then comes the window slamming, followed by the construction sawing!! AAARGGHH!! If I could just sleep through my noisy annoying neighbors, I'd be able to sleep thru the birds and dogs and sun! Come 7AM I'm restless and irritated, every weekday morning! I can't take it anymore!!

What's the best way to handle this? Earplugs? I want to yell at talk to the neighbors, but I don't want to cause any problems. After all, I'm just renting this awesome Ohana, which is perfect except for these particular neighbors' morning activities, which are killing me!!! Although, they've never been particularly nice to me - most times when I wave or holler Hi, they seem to pretend not to see me, even when they walk their dogs right past me. I want to be as nice as possible, which means no running outside in my robe and screaming at people early in the morning, no matter how baaaaadly I want to!

What's a good aloha way to handle them?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Default Re: noisy neighbors

Be glad that they aren't having noisy sex all night long?

Exclamation Re: noisy neighbors

We live on a relatively quiet street to me, but my wife wears ear plugs every night to block out noises. Foam ones she likes.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Once we lived at the intersection of 2 concrete alleys in a building surrounded by other buildings so sound always echoed. We had a neighbor who left for work early, in a car with no muffler that took about 20 tries to start. And it backfired occasionally too. So I left a note on her windshield, "Dear Neighbor, have you ever heard of mufflers? Have you ever heard of tune ups? Thanks for being considerate, the neighbors". I happened to see her pick it up and read it, then crumple it, and throw it on the ground. Its possible if I had taken a more polite, encouraging, positive approach it might have actually done some good.

TG, you have two options:

a. foam earplugs
    b. grow old like I am and be partially deaf in both ears

Your choice, a or b?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

There's always at least one neighbor who's not worth giving the time of day to. We have one like that. They got mouthy when we complained. They even got mouthy with my Mom so she called the police.

Those types aren't going to change. You gotta simply shut them out. Try installing a window AC, turn the fan to high and close your windows at night. The white noise will mask all but the loudest of noises. Small price to pay to keep them out of your bedroom.

Foam earplugs work, but I had a hard time dealing with that "stuffy" feeling it gives your head. You may not have that problem.

<steps into confessional, nervous, twitchy, a little self conscious>

I apologize TG. I am the noisy neighbor. And please accept my apology for all the other noisy neighbors out there.

Yes, I get up around 430 or 500 everyday. No alarm. But straight to the kitchen where I usually make coffee and do a few dishes. Then start making food, and lunch. Who will invent a quiet pot or pan?

Got a shop. With a compressor, and saws, and noisy things.

Got a yard. With lawn mower, weed whacker, chainsaw, and the all day drone of my daughters ATV sometimes.

I'm a musician. Guitar, Piano mostly. Got a Peavey Amp with a Boss preamp. And I like it around 7. Unfortunately for you, my lovely 7 yo has G, A, D, and C/F downpat. She's getting louder (better) everyday. But the twang factor reminds me of why my parents would yell at me for the noise when I was 15.

I got some buddies. (Really.) And we drink and cheer whenever there is football on TV. Not every week. But more than 1/2 the season.

I apologize. But I don't plan to change. And you are invited for coffee and breakfast anytime between 5 and 630AM. After that, we serve Coors Lt.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

For many years I've used a little "white noise" machine which is placed between where I sleep and where the noisy neighbors/street are located. It's a lot cheaper than an A/C unit and less expensive to operate. It might not work for everyone but I'm happy with my solution.

How about play a radio loudly with really corny music?

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    For many years I've used a little "white noise" machine which is placed between where I sleep and where the noisy neighbors/street are located. It's a lot cheaper than an A/C unit and less expensive to operate. It might not work for everyone but I'm happy with my solution.
    yes and TG's landlord may not even allow her to have an AC especially if utilities are included.

i hear ya, TG, i hear ya. we live on a main thoroughfare and i get very little rest as well. the neighbors, well, we can't do anything about them making noise. our tenant maybe. we put up with the beer bottles clanging at gawd knows what time in the morning; the back neighbor driving down their lane at all times during sleeping hours; the handyman neighbor and our tenant. they in turn put up with our dogs and their barking.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Somewhere within a block of me there is a band that practices in a garage often at night. The music is loud enough to be heard more than a couple of blocks away. They usually stop by 10 p.m. but it sounds like they only know one song (and the song is repetitive sounding) and if it's annoying to me, I cannot imagine how their immediate neighbors put up with it all the time.

Default Re: Noisy Neighbors

My neighbors have weekly outdoor karaoke parties in which children are encouraged to scream into microphones around midnight.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Default It's 5:05 am and time to rock!

My favorite way to deal with noisy neighbors is to set my stereo in the window closest to the area they will hear it the most and as soon as they start, on goes some extremely hard rock at full volume, of the type most will run screaming from, but which I love, and don't stop til (in your case) they leave that morning. If they don't get the picture, continue until desired effect.
    It's always worked for me, and it's another reason to get your ya ya's out!
    Kind of a bummer when they do get it...

Biggest noisemaker in our area is a garbage truck two days a week at 0530-0600; the kind of truck that empties the BIG collection container for the whole condo. So we get to listen to the BIG airbrake release, then the dumpster being rolled out to the street, etc, etc. You get the picture.

The only time I have a problem with it is when I got home at 0400 from work and have to go back at 1400; otherwise I just get up. Then it's earplug time.

my neighbors party from 6:00 p.m. to exactly 12:00 a.m.....7 days a week.....like clock work!!!

i about fainted when i came home yesterday and it was quiet.....so i did what most twisted crazy neighbor would do....i walked over...knocked on the door and asked if everything was okay......a gal in her mid 20's answered (local gal)....she comes at me smiling....."hey neighbor - what can i do for yah".

i nicely replied....."um i wanted to find out if everything is okay.....no party tonight?" she answered "no moa kala---why da kine our music ste loud?" of course i replied "DUH" and i walked off

tg so don't feel so bad......most of us have it bad.

mahalo

p.s. - i would love more than anything to slip a venomous snake through my neighbors window to get even...but i'm not and i won't....at least not yet
    stay forever young

Quote Originally Posted by Seeking Penance View Post
    i nicely replied....."um i wanted to find out if everything is okay.....no party tonight?" she answered "no moa kala---why da kine our music ste loud?" of course i replied "DUH" and i walked off
    I'm surprised. I thought you're a party kind of guy. Maybe because there's a local chick, it wasn't a sausage party.
    Oh No, You Didn't. (in a Rosie Perez voice)

sansei Guest

Unhappy Re: Noisy Neighbors

hi this is sansei and in response to turtlegirl,in our neighborhood,i have somewhat of the same problem and our neighbor's younger son rev's up his modified moped and then finally one day,the local authoritie's caught up with him and he had to sing some paper's for him even not to drive his father's truck or car without a adult present and he's a wild youth.

then last week,a new couple who moved in to our neighborhood, that one day the couple.the husband and wife started to fight and then one of our loyal neighbor's called our local authoritie's and then they came in minutes and then the local authoritie's told them both to cool off and then while they were headed possibly to the local authoritie's station, the husband told his wife to s.u. the h.c.k up and she did and so our younger neighbor's father's car also has his alarm go off in the middle of the night and this annoy's me so i feel how you feel is we also have noisy neighbor's only now our neighborhood we have a citizen's watch program which was started by our nice lady neighbor and we all watch one another's home's and people who wouldnt belong here.maybe this is something you and your neighbor's could start and it could help you to get better sleep.

Well thank's for your time

Quote Originally Posted by sansei View Post
    the husband told his wife to s.u. the h.c.k up
    Euphemism of the day - thank you, sansei.

TG, I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor troubles. In your short time there, you've been experiencing the best and worst of life on O`ahu, it seems (though most of the "worst" scenarios don't seem to be unique to Island living, but many of the "best" ones do).

The only advice I would give is to do your best to put aside thoughts of revenge or anger, and see if you can work out a calm solution with the neighbors. You and they might be living in proximity to each other for some time to come, so you don't want a constant animosity between you, or that could taint every single day in some fashion.
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; November 24th, 2008 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I'm surprised. I thought you're a party kind of guy. Maybe because there's a local chick, it wasn't a sausage party.
    Oh No, You Didn't. (in a Rosie Perez voice)
    *laughs out really really loud*

that is why i walked off

punk - LOL
    stay forever young

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    they're driving me bonkers!! Their alarm goes off every morning at about 5:05AM...What's a good aloha way to handle them?
    Set your alarm clock to 3:30 every morning and aim it at their home playing Hawaiian music.

Or call them up at 4:05am to remind them their alarm will go off in an hour and to turn it down when it does so you can get some sleep.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

I donno TG, it sounds to me like either you're sensitive to sound (not that there's anything wrong with that) or you live in a place that provides no sound isolation. There's just too many things going on to make me think the problem is with the neighbors.

My advice is to either find a way to cope or to move. When all is said and done, I think that's what it's going to come down to. While no one should be subjected to noisy neighbors, at the same time no one should have to tip-toe in their own apartment just because the walls are paper thin.
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; November 28th, 2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: soften the tone

Lightbulb Re: Noisy Neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I donno TG, it sounds to me like either you're sensitive to sound (not that there's anything wrong with that) or you live in a place that provides no sound isolation. There's just too many things going on to make me think the problem is with the neighbors.
    I have to agree with this statement. Because of the high cost of development in Hawai‘i, the proximity between homes is extremely close. This is so the seller can offer the most square footage on the lots. That should have been in instant red flag when you decided to move into that place. When I go to an “open house” model home, the first thing I look for are the windows. I want to see the view — namely that of the neighbor’s home. If it's close enough to see them undressing, I know that meeting my neighbors and “talking story” with them will be high on the “to-do” list — before a situation like this develops.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Talking Re: Noisy Neighbors

A friend of mine just recently moved from a new home in Mililani Mauka to an older home in Pearl City. A key reason was the fact that the homes were way too close together.

Parking was nearly impossible ("like Waipahu on New Year's, but every day"), especially given the way The Association polices how and where you store your car. But she mostly disliked how her home and her neighbor's home were practically touching at the roof, and how she could hear them -- on still nights -- using the bathroom. Let alone other activities you'd rather not think about your neighbors doing.

One of the first apartments I lived in was in Waikiki, and literally four feet from our bedroom window was the parking garage of the adjacent hotel. Just below, a busy bus stop on Kuhio Avenue. The noises were overwhelming... so much so, though, that you started to tune them out!

I'm in Enchanted Lake, and maybe a lot of the houses here were built without insulation(?) and also are very close together. I can totally hear neighbors peeing in their bathrooms in the middle of a still night, lol! My place is an ohana, but my wonderful landlady and her grandson who live in the front part of the house have never woken me up. Its just these particular neighbors on one side, and the construction of a new house across the street, and one neighbors' pack of 9 howling dogs that aggravate me evey morning from 5AM until I leave for school at 8:45AM.

I'm not moving (ever!). I love this place, and I really love our landlady. She's the best and she treats us like family. I have off street parking and utilities included in the rent. My garden is taking off. I finally figured out how to get around town and back home again. No way am I moving.

Maybe part of the problem is these 4 giant picture windows that the next door neighbors have, the ones that they slam shut every morning - they face right at our bedroom window, and a lot of sound carries thru them. It sounds like their kitchen and bedroom are rightthere.

I see that it could be worse, though! Thankfully we dont have an AM garbage truck, or late night rock band, or motorcycle gang, or domestic violence in the neighborhood!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    I'm in Enchanted Lake, and maybe a lot of the houses here were built without insulation(?) and also are very close together. I can totally hear neighbors peeing in their bathrooms in the middle of a still night, lol!
    Wow! What do they have separating the units? Shoji screens?

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    One of the first apartments I lived in was in Waikiki, and literally four feet from our bedroom window was the parking garage of the adjacent hotel. Just below, a busy bus stop on Kuhio Avenue. The noises were overwhelming... so much so, though, that you started to tune them out!
    I spent my formative years just a 10 minute drive away from one of the busiest international airports in the world. To this day, I can still tune out just about any ambient sound. I often wonder at what cost, though.

What were we talking about again???
    Last edited by Vanguard; November 28th, 2008 at 08:08 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast