Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Noisy Neighbors

Default Re: Noisy Neighbors

The noise from the neighbors and the construction went away for a few days. Wish I could say the same for that pack of howling dogs! I wondered if maybe my neighbors were HT lurkers. Nope! All was quiet because of the rain. Today - no rain - lotsa noise.

The BF keeps offering to 'air horn' them, lol! Super - not - aloha!

This morning's construction noise sounded like they were using a power drill to strip every screw and bolt on that house! Funny though, now its 8am, and the drilling has stopped, and they're unloading trucks or something because there's that constant 'beep..beep..beep' of trucks backing up!

I definately need to do a friendly introduction to our neighbors, and there's a few winter squashes growing in the garden right now that'll be ripe in a day or two. So I guess the best plan is to try to catch up with them , do a nice intro, and offer them a squash?

I've casually brought the neighbors up to the landlady, but she doesn't seem interested. I think she's lived on this block the longest of anyone - at least 40 years, so while I'm the new kid, I don't want to mess with any system that the 'old kid' has going on. Simultaneously, these neighbors that are loud are also very new to the neighborhood, and don't seem to care about 'fitting in' and playing nice as much as I do.

I dunno about the construction, and I've been dreaming of the day that that stupid house will be finished! What's the law here anyway? I always thought that you weren't supposed to be loud between 10pm and 7am.

Thanks everyone for the advice and stories - they're all helpful!

PS- whatever those construction guys are doing now sounds like somebody is feeding an anchor chain through a wood chipper!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Our hours are "noise" can be from 8 a.m. - 6:00 pm and parties
    must end by 10:00 pm if "noisy." "Quiet Hours" are 10 pm - 8:00 a.m.
    Probably these are in accordance with the city requirements.
    I don't know how the garbage truck fits into all this but with it coming at
    5:30 or so it can be annoying. My bedroom is in the far end of the house away from the street so I never hear it, the air-conditioning helps so my room
    is pretty sound proof from anything anyway.

http://www.honolulu.gov/main/government/

You have a lot of questions about regulations and ordinances the site
    above is the official city & county web page and is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I'm not sure what's worse, starting a conversation by citing the law or doing it anonymously. With some people, that would be the right approach, but these neighbors don't strike me as thoughtless louts. They just don't realize how well the sound carries.

I'd start off by bringing them a plate of food and chatting with them and asking if I was bothering them at night, because I noticed I could really hear the sound of their morning routine. I think it would set the stage for a friendly neighborhood.
    GG has a point.

Unfortunately, our beagley neighbors were indeed thoughtless louts. They tramped through other neighbors' gardens when they thought no one was looking (parents) and disposed of their beagle's raw, steaming excretions in other people's rubbish bins (kids). So yeah, they got no aloha from either of us. We would have definitely approached them in an open, friendly manner had they demonstrated higher charachter. But the "tough love" approach has worked just fine for them. And at least the other neighbors now know who was responsible for dumping unwrapped dog poop in their rubbish bins.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

sansei Guest

Red face Re: Noisy Neighbors

hi this is sansei and at this moment,i heard our young neighbor who ride's his modifed moped doing a pop wheelie on his moped and then when i view him through our window,he stop's his modified moped and walk's it up his hill and then he not to long ago,went up another close hill and someone who's a neighbor is talking to him,

and now,i hear our younger neighbor's father weedwhacking his yard and i have my airline earplug's in so it drown's out the sound and it's working.

Well thank's for your time

Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    All was quiet because of the rain. Today - no rain - lotsa noise.
    A bedside fan is sounding better and better. It's starting to sound like the real problem is a very quiet neighborhood - no wind, no rain, no traffic - it just magnifies any sounds that drift in from the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
    beagles, more so than some other breeds (like eric's mom's very independent shiba inu, for example), crave human closeness. so, esp after it having gone through four homes, i'm not surprised that despite your efforts to be good dog parents, your beagle was so anxious.

i've said it before, i'll say it again: lots of people don't bother to research dogs before making the purchase and bringing a four legged friend home. they stupidly wonder why their collie is so rambunctious and breaks furniture or their chihuahua is so jumpy and nippy at strangers...or why their beagle bays constantly and so loudly that it can be heard two blocks away when poorly exercised and left home alone.

...as for noisy neighbors in general? i wonder what effect a well-timed and well-aimed canned air horn toot would have.
    agreed. we tried everything. and, you could literally hear her from 2 blocks away. she mellowed out somewhat as she got older. passed away at 16 years old. that's a lot of doggie years.

our other beagle/besenji mix just passed on 11/24/08 at almost 19 years old. she could only manage a feeble bark. she took on the beagle personality through her stomach. my goodness! insatiable appetites they have.

at least we will be finding peace and quiet when we move to the big island coming mid december. we do not have any immediate neighbors. that could be good and/or bad. all the homes are situated on 3 acre lots.
    Last edited by kani-lehua; December 4th, 2008 at 01:54 PM.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Quote Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
    at least we will be finding peace and quiet when we move to the big island coming mid december. we do not have any immediate neighbors. that could be good and/or bad. all the homes are situated on 3 acre lots.
    Good luck. Even though there might not be any houses nearby, you WILL have neighbors. As a light sleeper, I need earplugs to deal with both my human neighbors and also dogs, roosters, crickets, flocks of doves, etc. At least I don't have coqui frogs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by localmoco View Post
    Good luck. Even though there might not be any houses nearby, you WILL have neighbors. As a light sleeper, I need earplugs to deal with both my human neighbors and also dogs, roosters, crickets, flocks of doves, etc. At least I don't have coqui frogs yet.
    lol! you forgot to mention the feral pigs. and, them coqui frogs are everywhere including, kailua, o'ahu. birds and crickets i can deal with. the roosters? trap them and eat them?
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

Quote Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
    birds and crickets i can deal with
    Most crickets irritate me, but really aren't too bad. Some people actually find them to be soothing. But one insect that drives me nuts is the cone-headed grasshopper, also known as the irritating grasshopper or aggravating grasshopper. Instead of intermittent chirping, it emits a constant buzzing that sounds like high voltage electric wires sizzling at about 80 decibels right outside the window.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    A bedside fan is sounding better and better. It's starting to sound like the real problem is a very quiet neighborhood - no wind, no rain, no traffic - it just magnifies any sounds that drift in from the neighbors.
    I work night shift and sleep during the day. I always sleep with a fans running on both sides of my head and it really helps! I have been able to sleep through construction noise going on in my house including a new roof being put on over my head, the noise of the planes from the marine base flying right over me, and noise from jackhammers tearing up the road in front of my house.

Or build yourself an insulated box to sleep in.

I've never had any luck with white noise and envy those of you for whom it works. When in Makaha, if someone belches in Nanakuli...I wake up immediately, looking like this ->

"Most crickets irritate me, but really aren't too bad. Some people actually find them to be soothing. But one insect that drives me nuts is the cone-headed grasshopper, also known as the irritating grasshopper or aggravating grasshopper. Instead of intermittent chirping, it emits a constant buzzing that sounds like high voltage electric wires sizzling at about 80 decibels right outside the window."
    i hear ya. i'd much rather listen to crickets than mosquitoes buzzing around. there's plenty of those buggers on the big island.

"I've never had any luck with white noise and envy those of you for whom it works. When in Makaha, if someone belches in Nanakuli...I wake up immediately, looking like this -> "
    too funny!
    "chaos reigns within.
    order shall return."

Funny when we lived in our townhouse down the road
    we had housesitters who freaked out because it's so quiet over here. Then we moved into our house in the same valley and had housesitters with the same comments, only the chickens bothered them every now and then. They all lived in town in Makiki. As I type
    chickens are crowing away and my neighbors are working on their lower level to fence it up from the ravaging pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by localmoco View Post
    But one insect that drives me nuts is the cone-headed grasshopper, also known as the irritating grasshopper or aggravating grasshopper. Instead of intermittent chirping, it emits a constant buzzing that sounds like high voltage electric wires sizzling at about 80 decibels right outside the window.
    Back when I lived at home I used to hunt those down with a flashlight and a can of Raid. Just so I could hear the TV set without blasting it.

Or build yourself an insulated box to sleep in.
    What a great idea! Let's get together next weekend and make a few and sell them. We could make a fortune out here at IP...you know, what with the planes and all.

didn't anyone tell you ahead of time that IP is in a flight path? When I lived there in the mid 60's, it was worse than it is now because at that time there was no reef runway. Sorry you weren't informed before you moved in.

Oh it really doesn't bother me. After the first week, you don't hear them anymore. And no- nobody told me. My husband was transferred out here. We didn't have time to come out and look. The place he's contracted to told him to come here, so we did. Didn't have a whole lot of choice. I came out two months later. You learn to just pause the TV until the plane goes over. It's only really bad when Hickam sends out multiple fighters for maneuvers (and you can see them lined up on the runway, so you know it's coming) or a re-fueler comes in to land.

sansei Guest

Red face Re: Noisy Neighbors

hi this is sansei and for now,our nosiy neighbor's have calmed down and since we just returned from being out of town and with the rain,it's quiet and it make's me:O)

our young neighbor also doesnt rev up his modified moped in our neighborhood since we returned so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Angry Re: Noisy Neighbors

Speaking of noisy neighbors....

I have this older couple (near the apt. where I live), their dog is pretty old too.

I think, their dogs sees ghost or something, lol . Cuz, he/she just barks for no reasons at any point in time .

I remember the couple went on vacation (I found out after the a fact), left their dog with an idiot, to watch over. So, this person, let the dog out, & I have no idea where he/she went thereafter.

That same night, after 10PM, or maybe longer, the dog just kept barking continuously passed midnight!!. I thought, it was suppose to be quiet time after 10 PM. looked liked all the light were off, when I went out to see what was going on. Nothing, the dog was just barking at lint passing by.

I called the police for help, & they couldn't do anything about it, but only refer me to call an animal control? WTF?!?!. At night, too???

The dog just kept barking passed midnight through out until the dog was tired enough. What ever!!.

What do I do in situations like that?.

The dog is still there, but when they let their dog out, sometimes very early around 5 or 6 am, it barks. GAWD!!.

When the heck is that damn dog ever going to kick the bucket already??!!. GAWD!!.

One time, they had their TV blasting after 10M, WTF?? are those couple's problem??

I think they should know about the 10 PM rule, WTF?!?!.

I called the police on them to help them be reminded.

If you ask me, I don't know who's bad/worse them or their dog. lol.

Both of them are getting older, but, atleast should know the 10 PM rule, too.

They should get those small portable noise amplifier head set, the one on TV, I saw once, & I think I also saw it for sale on walmart, too.

If my hearing was going bad, I would get it myself.

But then again, if they do get it, what's the chances of them using it, too .

What ever I guess.

Sigh.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

I kept hearing a kid screaming, so I went outside to see what was going on. Just down the street (right next to Joe the Gendarme), there was a couple of drunks playing ball outside with a little kid of about four or five. So I asked them nicely if thy couldn't play indoors, as we couldn't sleep and had to get up for school at seven.

Wow. They all came at me at started yelling, and then two women came out of the house and yelled some more. Seems the kid is autistic and just yells like that. Seems the parents and friends are drunks who think it's funny.

I simply asked politely if they couldn't think that there were others in the neighborhood who had kids that had to get up for school in the morning. And then I got whapped...didn't even see it coming. And shoved.

Damn Joe...I'm sure he was at his window and saw the entire thing...he never came out or yelled at all. Either it's because of his recent heart attack or because they were so aggresive. And when I think of all the times he yelled at me for nothing...and his wife screaming at me cause one of the kids was smelling her flowers!

I don't think I'll have a black eye in the morning, but I do have a hell of a welt

Some neighbors act like they don't have neighbors - like they own the world and don't have to share.

Even out here in 'the country' noisy neighbors can be a problem. Most of my neighbors are very considerate and respectful, but it only takes one to ruin your sleep.

Crowding makes the problem worse. When I lived on Kauai, there was no noise problem.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Post Re: Noisy Neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Some neighbors act like they don't have neighbors - like they own the world and don't have to share.
    True. Or how about, they probably think that the noise stays inside & not go outside of their home to bother other neighbors.

So, they really don't care.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

am I the only one who noticed that Susie posted about being attacked?

Susie - I hope you are ok and will not have any continuing problems with these neighbors. Having an autistic child is no excuse for the bad behaviour of the adults.

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    am I the only one who noticed that Susie posted about being attacked?

Susie - I hope you are ok and will not have any continuing problems with these neighbors. Having an autistic child is no excuse for the bad behaviour of the adults.
    Thanks.

They were young and drunk and very agressive, and I suppose that the story isn't finished, yet, as I will be going over to the Gendarmes later today to file a complaint.

It's really amazing how people freak out when you don't respond to violence with violence....it's like they didn't know what to do when I didn't whap back but continued to speak politely. It did work, I guess...they went in after and shut the door and there was no more noise.

I've got a good welt across my face.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast