Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Noisy Neighbors

Default Re: Noisy Neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    Anytime you try to tell a frog (or a Brit, for that matter...ask Barry) that the US saved their asses during the war, they'll just tell you that the Americans only sat on the fence throughout and came in at the last minute just because of Pearl Harbour. They can get quite insulted about this whole issue, so I've stopped mentioning it.
    Too bad they feel that way. America spent more than three years and provided most of the hardware, munitions and soldiers. Without Roosevelt's pre-war clandestine planning, the lend/lease act (we never insisted on getting paid back in full), and eventual full-fledged efforts, the Brits and others would have eventually been isolated and overrun. The war would have run much longer. And the world would be very different today.

Oh well. At least we get to keep the pretty statue they left on our doorstep outside of Manhattan. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    Thanks.

They were young and drunk and very agressive, and I suppose that the story isn't finished, yet, as I will be going over to the Gendarmes later today to file a complaint.

It's really amazing how people freak out when you don't respond to violence with violence....it's like they didn't know what to do when I didn't whap back but continued to speak politely. It did work, I guess...they went in after and shut the door and there was no more noise.

I've got a good welt across my face.
    Yikes! That's terrible! You did the right thing, all the way... please let us know how this turns out. I feel for the child, YET striking you was very wrong. I'm thinking Joe was scared or deaf.

Does anyone know what the law is regarding excessive noise? My neighbors blast their music regularly as if the entire neighborhood and surrounding ones too would want to hear their music.

In Europe we have the Anti Social Behaviour Order.
    We can apply for an ASBO against noisy or violent neighbours. This takes a while to come through but in the meantime we can take out an injuction against them.
    This means that they can't come anywhere near you or your property for 12 months. ( It also means that they have to move !) It costs about 60 but if the neighbours all chip in then it's worth it.
    By the time the 12 months are over, the ASBO has been brought in and the troublesome neighbours will not return.

Quote Originally Posted by Adri View Post
    Does anyone know what the law is regarding excessive noise? My neighbors blast their music regularly as if the entire neighborhood and surrounding ones too would want to hear their music.
    Call the cops.

Tip: When you call, ask if the dispatcher can hear the music. Then inform them how far away the neighbors are. That seems to help get someone out. It also make it clear that this is above just being able to hear the music, but that it's loud.

Thanks GeckoGeek. The cops have been called on these neighbors (not just by me) multiple times for multiple incidents. Other neighbors have tried on more than one occasion to talk to these people about the noise to no avail. I guess that's all we (the neighbors) can do.

sansei Guest

Red face Re: Noisy Neighbors

hi this is sansei and i understand about noisy neighbor's is we have them here and our local authoritie's have been called by our kind neighbor lady and another good neighbor on our neighbor's unkind son and he and his friend's rev up their now car since they believe they can drive without an adult and the local authoritie's came and requested for them not to bother our elder neighbor's,

only to no avail only at time's like this,it's quiet since his father shared with his unkind son to not make to much noise on a sunday and only in the late morning hour's,it happen's only the father told his unkind son to let it go and that's how our neighborhood is quiet on a sunday.

Well thank's for your time

The cops have been called on these neighbors (not just by me) multiple times for multiple incidents. Other neighbors have tried on more than one occasion to talk to these people about the noise to no avail. I guess that's all we (the neighbors) can do.
    Oh, that's just the groundwork. Who owns the place? (Click locate in the top left) Are they renters? If so, then it's time to notify the landlord using those stack of police reports as evidence. There's probably some other steps that can be taken. I'm not sure just what. Maybe someone else knows of some other legal actions that can be taken.

sansei Guest

Red face Re: Noisy Neighbors

hi this is sansei and yesterday and today while having dinner,our unkind young neighbor's father was somewhat speaking in a somewhat of a unkind tone and yesterday,his unkind young son rode his modified moped up and down our road and our elder neighbor's arent very kind about it and then last night,i believe our kind elder neighbor's called our local authoritie's only our unkind young neighbor was riding in another neighborhood is i remember him coming home late so i know how it feel's to have nosiy neighbor's around.

In the country it's the roosters. In the cities and suburbs it's the pigs and asses.
    Persevere, keep watch for the angels (who are also there, if you look for them) and make them your friends. There is strength in numbers and multiple complaints.
    And yes, notify the authorities, for these same people are also likely lawbreakers, with drug labs in their spare rooms, etc. Keep the pressure on via official channels. I have had NO luck asking politely (just retribution), nor from notifying landlords (who only care if the rent is paid).
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

I wonder if the angels (not Hells Angels...) ride around in Heaven on noisy mopeds?

If unruly neighbors don't start showing some consideration after gentle persuasion or visits from 5-0, there are always the old standbys:

1. Night light. Those white pajama-wearing folk on the mainland would often plant a wooden cross in front of people's homes and then light it on fire as a friendly going away present. You could save yourself the trip to Home Depot by repurposing a discarded Christmas tree -- I saw a few on the road up Tantalus -- just make sure to sharpen the bottom of the tree so it goes into green strip in front of your neighbor's house nice and easy. Pass the smores.
    2. Heads you win! You've probably seen it some movie. The crime boss wants to send a thoughtful message to someone who's crossed him. So he has his goons discreetly tuck the severed head of a horse in bed with the snoozing mark. Oh, the hilarity! Since horse heads are hard to come by and most people can't pick a lock to save their lives, why not just buy a pig's head from Chinatown and mount it on some old rebar stuck in a nice soft spot in front of your neighbor's house. Drawing angry eyebrows on Porky is optional.
    3. What's that smell? We've all pulled the shrimp-in-the-hollow-post-of-the-office-chair prank on an irritating coworker. No? Well, lay down a 21st century remix and buy a nice squeeze bottle of patis. Squirt liberally all over your neighbor's front door (and slippers, if available). Until they can clean the funk off, they'll get a helpful olfactory reminder of what an ass they are every time they come home.

"If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Very creative, MPB! My fave is the pig's head on a stake in the front yard. But make sure it is a little on the rotten side for full effect!

My mom put a half pound of limburger cheese on the engine block of a car who's owner kept parking in her parking spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
    My mom put a half pound of limburger cheese on the engine block of a car who's owner kept parking in her parking spot.
    Nice one! How'd she get the hood open? What'd they do when they found out?
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
    Nice one! How'd she get the hood open? What'd they do when they found out?
    She crawled under the car and stuffed it up in there very early in the morning (night shift). This was back when she was a student nurse and the cars were less compact....it was also winter so the cheese got nice and melty as the car idled and warmed up.

The doc (who had his own assigned parking spot closer to the hospital...go figger), had to junk the car 'cause the smell wouldn't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
    had to junk the car 'cause the smell wouldn't come out.
    Seinfeld had an episode where they couldn't get rid of a smell in the car.

sansei Guest

Unhappy Re: Noisy Neighbors

hi,i know how it get's in my neighborhood is our young unkind neighbor's son rev's his modifed car in our neighborhood and he visit's his friend who just live's up the hill near us,he drove his father's modified car up and didnt bother to walk up and i heard his father was letting him know that the neighbor's dont like it and for him our unkind neighbor to stop,only he wont follow what his father tell's him,

our elderly neighbor's arent feeling pleasent at this moment.

then maybe Dad needs to take away the car keys!

Wink Re: Noisy Neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    If unruly neighbors don't start showing some consideration after gentle persuasion or visits from 5-0, there are always the old standbys:

1. Night light.
    2. Heads you win!
    3. What's that smell?
    I would rather suffer injustice than to become that which I despise.

As Gandhi said: "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

However, for extreme conditions, sometimes extreme measures are needed.
    Last edited by Kaonohi; April 4th, 2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling Lessins
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Sorry I can't help you. Sadly they have made it ilegal to shoot horrible neighbours over here.

Whoever dreams up these laws should be shot themselves.

Our magistrates do not need any qualifications and can join planning committees,,, etc when they are 18 yrs old. We call them 'Our City Fathers?'

Let's get real folks. How can a kid of that age be expected to take on the responsibility for having rows of lovely terraced houses pulled down ( incidentally, many of those houses have survived two world wars and some of the inhabitants have returned from the Pearl Harbour disaster and more horrors).

Yer fellers, we've got a vigilante team here. Not just for our old folks but for everyone. This leaves the police to sit in their offices, behind their PC's and count paper clips.

Been having this problem a few months now.... At first, it was only happening once a week. And while it was every bit as annoying as it is now...I figured once a week isn't too terrible. And well..they seem to be under the impression that everyone in their vicinity wants to hear their crappy truck stereo's bass booming for 2 or more hours straight every afternoon now that school is out and the oldest boy now has his own truck. I pretty much dread 2 PM - 8 PM now. Last night they gave us a bonus of burning out their trucks in front of our house while blasting the music.

The funny part is that some boy who is over all day long yet doesn't even live there is the main culprit of this lately, yet the adults in the residence find it perfectly fine that the music is the most obnoxious thing in the world and that it's so loud, it shakes the walls and jalousie glass on our windows. The father also is guilty of this sometimes as well so they don't care what their kids do. That's a problem in itself already. I've watched these kids grow up into an army of inconsiderate tyrants pretty much.

They are really irritating about how they play it too, they turn the volume low and high constantly, as if they know it's driving people nuts and they just want to tease us with minutes of silence before going right back to noise. One minute all I hear is an annoying low constant bass beat "in the distance," then I hear music so loud ear plugs can't help. And I swear it's like they play the same three songs every day, because it's always the exact same damn beat. The best time was when they decided everyone wanted to hear some football game, they played the game so loud I couldn't even hear my own TV which was at like...vol. 50 just so I could make out what was going on. Usually I never have to put it above 15-20.

It's already highly annoying on its own but it's worse now because they are playing the music at times when I am asleep because I work part-time at night (driving me so nuts I could literally and have just screech into my pillow...) and at times in the afternoon when everyone else is coming home from a long day of work and they just want to relax and have some freaking peace and quiet...instead, gotta listen to the neighbor's same three songs for hours.

I've asked my parents about calling the cops (because talking to them has definitely not worked) but for whatever reason, neither of my parents will because of things like "it's day time, they can't do anything" or just plain "the cops won't do anything." The thing that gets me the most is why the other neighbors don't ask them to turn it down. The house on the other side has two families in a duplex and their house is even closer than our's, plus they have young children and a few older Chinese people upstairs from what I saw. I don't know how this crap isn't bothering them enough for them to complain or something. I think one of the people is a former cop, in fact.

Mostly just had to vent, because this is really driving me quite insane lately. I think if I hear anything today, I'm just going to call the cops already.

Kupomog, have you spoken with other neighbors about this problem? If enough people are bothered possibly a neighborhood meeting with the police present to see and hear the number of people who are affected might help. Just a thought...

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

another option is to attend your neighborhood board's monthly meeting. you can make a complaint in writing while there using one of the forms they provide. no one else but the board members will know, and they will relay your concern to the police (who come to the meetings to share stats on crime), who will then have to pay a visit to the offending home and report back to the board as to the action taken.

we made use of this option last month regarding the owners who allow their dog to bark incessantly at all hours by our bedroom window. HPD observed the home for a bit, then visited the owners within two weeks of our complaint to the neighborhood board. they left a message on our phone saying the owners apologized and were looking into getting anti-barking collars for their dogs. we'll see how it goes. i'd prefer they take their dogs on long walks. border collies and retrievers are active dogs that need exercise daily--they'd be less neurotic if they weren't cooped up all the time.

can't attend a meeting? send an email to your neighborhood board's chairperson, detailing your complaint.
    Last edited by cynsaligia; May 21st, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

the police should be called. there are noise level (decibel level) regulations that are being violated. and the regulations do apply during daylight hours. the only problem is that you have to get the police there while the noise is going on so they can measure the decibels. some, if not all, police cars carry the meters in their cars. unless the police actually hear/see for themselves, they can't do anything about these "nusiance" matters.

talking to the other neighbors is good - the more of you who complain will certainly get HPD's attention.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast