Noisy Neighbors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Neighbors

they're driving me bonkers!! Their alarm goes off every morning at about 5:05AM, and its so loud it sounds like its under my pillow. They also have another reallly loud alarm or cellphone that goes off about 25 minutes later. Then there's the banging and yelling. Apparently they make breakfast really loudly. And wash dishes very loudly. They yell speak to each other very loudly, at 5somethingAM. And they're just generally very loud to the point where it sounds like they are right there in my bedroom every morning!! The worst part is that I can hear them slamming (literally, slam, slam, slam, slam! ) their windows shut before there's any peace in my room, which comes at about 6:45AM.

At which point the construction job across the street starts up their circular saw, over and over and over and over, at about 3 minute intervals! Can't they just cut all their wood that they need for the early morning on the afternoon before?? Is it some kinda surprise - "oh, wow, looky, we gotta trim the windows today? Gee, I could never have seen that a'comin' yesterday evening!" Aaaaaarggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! They're never ever as loud throughout the day as they are at the 6:45 to 8:45AM times!

My BF is super sweet and the first thing he does when he gets up at 6AM is close the windows on that side so that I can try to get an extra hours' sleep.

But by then the damage is already done. I can't sleep past 5AM most weekdays. It goes like this - neighbors alarm is LOUD and then those loud people keep me up, then other neighbors dogs start howling and barking, then the wild chickens start their thing, then the doves and pigeons do their shrieking right outside my window, then the sun is too bright to even try to ignore it, then comes the window slamming, followed by the construction sawing!! AAARGGHH!! If I could just sleep through my noisy annoying neighbors, I'd be able to sleep thru the birds and dogs and sun! Come 7AM I'm restless and irritated, every weekday morning! I can't take it anymore!!

What's the best way to handle this? Earplugs? I want to yell at talk to the neighbors, but I don't want to cause any problems. After all, I'm just renting this awesome Ohana, which is perfect except for these particular neighbors' morning activities, which are killing me!!! Although, they've never been particularly nice to me - most times when I wave or holler Hi, they seem to pretend not to see me, even when they walk their dogs right past me. I want to be as nice as possible, which means no running outside in my robe and screaming at people early in the morning, no matter how baaaaadly I want to!

What's a good aloha way to handle them?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: noisy neighbors

Be glad that they aren't having noisy sex all night long?
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

We live on a relatively quiet street to me, but my wife wears ear plugs every night to block out noises. Foam ones she likes.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Once we lived at the intersection of 2 concrete alleys in a building surrounded by other buildings so sound always echoed. We had a neighbor who left for work early, in a car with no muffler that took about 20 tries to start. And it backfired occasionally too. So I left a note on her windshield, "Dear Neighbor, have you ever heard of mufflers? Have you ever heard of tune ups? Thanks for being considerate, the neighbors". I happened to see her pick it up and read it, then crumple it, and throw it on the ground. Its possible if I had taken a more polite, encouraging, positive approach it might have actually done some good.

Comment

TG, you have two options:

a. foam earplugs
          b. grow old like I am and be partially deaf in both ears

Your choice, a or b?
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

There's always at least one neighbor who's not worth giving the time of day to. We have one like that. They got mouthy when we complained. They even got mouthy with my Mom so she called the police.

Those types aren't going to change. You gotta simply shut them out. Try installing a window AC, turn the fan to high and close your windows at night. The white noise will mask all but the loudest of noises. Small price to pay to keep them out of your bedroom.

Foam earplugs work, but I had a hard time dealing with that "stuffy" feeling it gives your head. You may not have that problem.

Comment

<steps into confessional, nervous, twitchy, a little self conscious>

I apologize TG. I am the noisy neighbor. And please accept my apology for all the other noisy neighbors out there.

Yes, I get up around 430 or 500 everyday. No alarm. But straight to the kitchen where I usually make coffee and do a few dishes. Then start making food, and lunch. Who will invent a quiet pot or pan?

Got a shop. With a compressor, and saws, and noisy things.

Got a yard. With lawn mower, weed whacker, chainsaw, and the all day drone of my daughters ATV sometimes.

I'm a musician. Guitar, Piano mostly. Got a Peavey Amp with a Boss preamp. And I like it around 7. Unfortunately for you, my lovely 7 yo has G, A, D, and C/F downpat. She's getting louder (better) everyday. But the twang factor reminds me of why my parents would yell at me for the noise when I was 15.

I got some buddies. (Really.) And we drink and cheer whenever there is football on TV. Not every week. But more than 1/2 the season.

I apologize. But I don't plan to change. And you are invited for coffee and breakfast anytime between 5 and 630AM. After that, we serve Coors Lt.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

For many years I've used a little "white noise" machine which is placed between where I sleep and where the noisy neighbors/street are located. It's a lot cheaper than an A/C unit and less expensive to operate. It might not work for everyone but I'm happy with my solution.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

How about play a radio loudly with really corny music?
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                    For many years I've used a little "white noise" machine which is placed between where I sleep and where the noisy neighbors/street are located. It's a lot cheaper than an A/C unit and less expensive to operate. It might not work for everyone but I'm happy with my solution.
                    yes and TG's landlord may not even allow her to have an AC especially if utilities are included.

i hear ya, TG, i hear ya. we live on a main thoroughfare and i get very little rest as well. the neighbors, well, we can't do anything about them making noise. our tenant maybe. we put up with the beer bottles clanging at gawd knows what time in the morning; the back neighbor driving down their lane at all times during sleeping hours; the handyman neighbor and our tenant. they in turn put up with our dogs and their barking.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Somewhere within a block of me there is a band that practices in a garage often at night. The music is loud enough to be heard more than a couple of blocks away. They usually stop by 10 p.m. but it sounds like they only know one song (and the song is repetitive sounding) and if it's annoying to me, I cannot imagine how their immediate neighbors put up with it all the time.

Comment

Re: Noisy Neighbors

My neighbors have weekly outdoor karaoke parties in which children are encouraged to scream into microphones around midnight.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It's 5:05 am and time to rock!

My favorite way to deal with noisy neighbors is to set my stereo in the window closest to the area they will hear it the most and as soon as they start, on goes some extremely hard rock at full volume, of the type most will run screaming from, but which I love, and don't stop til (in your case) they leave that morning. If they don't get the picture, continue until desired effect.
                          It's always worked for me, and it's another reason to get your ya ya's out!
                          Kind of a bummer when they do get it...
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Biggest noisemaker in our area is a garbage truck two days a week at 0530-0600; the kind of truck that empties the BIG collection container for the whole condo. So we get to listen to the BIG airbrake release, then the dumpster being rolled out to the street, etc, etc. You get the picture.

The only time I have a problem with it is when I got home at 0400 from work and have to go back at 1400; otherwise I just get up. Then it's earplug time.

Comment

my neighbors party from 6:00 p.m. to exactly 12:00 a.m.....7 days a week.....like clock work!!!

i about fainted when i came home yesterday and it was quiet.....so i did what most twisted crazy neighbor would do....i walked over...knocked on the door and asked if everything was okay......a gal in her mid 20's answered (local gal)....she comes at me smiling....."hey neighbor - what can i do for yah".

i nicely replied....."um i wanted to find out if everything is okay.....no party tonight?" she answered "no moa kala---why da kine our music ste loud?" of course i replied "DUH" and i walked off

tg so don't feel so bad......most of us have it bad.

mahalo

p.s. - i would love more than anything to slip a venomous snake through my neighbors window to get even...but i'm not and i won't....at least not yet
                              stay forever young

Comment

Working...
                              X