Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Noisy Neighbors

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
    A subtle, anonymously mailed letter to your neighbors that they are bothering someone who's trying to sleep backed up by printed copies of any laws they may be in violation of might be the perfect wake-up call.
    I'm not sure what's worse, starting a conversation by citing the law or doing it anonymously. With some people, that would be the right approach, but these neighbors don't strike me as thoughtless louts. They just don't realize how well the sound carries.

I'd start off by bringing them a plate of food and chatting with them and asking if I was bothering them at night, because I noticed I could really hear the sound of their morning routine. I think it would set the stage for a friendly neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      I'm not sure what's worse, starting a conversation by citing the law or doing it anonymously. With some people, that would be the right approach, but these neighbors don't strike me as thoughtless louts. They just don't realize how well the sound carries.
      Our neighbors are nice people who'd be even nicer if their two oldest kids moved out and never returned. It's not hard to understand why the parents leave for work really early and come home really late.

In their stressful environment, I don't think they'd be very receptive to our complaints about banging around their trash cans at 5:30 AM or 10 PM. So for the last six months, spouse has been taking care of their cans whenever we put out ours-- trash, green waste, & recycle. They haven't seen her doing it. If the neighbors even realize that someone else is taking care of their cans, they haven't said anything.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

[...]I'd start off by bringing them a plate of food and chatting with them and asking if I was bothering them at night, because I noticed I could really hear the sound of their morning routine. I think it would set the stage for a friendly neighborhood.
        I agree with this strategy! IOW, don't say or do anything negative or antagonistic until the neighbors have been given a friendly introduction to the subject and a chance to rectify it. If they cop an attitude or just plain, ol', ignore the problem, then TG can start increasing the pressure keeping in mind that noisy neighbors will probably remain neighbors for at least awhile.

TG, have you asked your landlady if this has been a problem in the past? And, if so, how it was handled? That might give you a better idea on how to approach the neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          don't say or do anything negative or antagonistic until the neighbors have been given a friendly introduction to the subject and a chance to rectify it. If they cop an attitude or just plain, ol', ignore the problem, then TG can start increasing the pressure
          Out of the mouths of babes (as in foxy) come some of the best solutions. Age has its benefits. You go TuTu!
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'd start off by bringing them a plate of food and chatting with them and asking if I was bothering them at night, because I noticed I could really hear the sound of their morning routine. I think it would set the stage for a friendly neighborhood.
            What an excellent idea. Is food an important part of human interaction there in the Islands, by chance?

(Yes - I am being highly facetious.)

TG - you haven't commented on this topic for a little while. Any progress? Any updates? Any of the ideas presented here helpful to you?

Comment

The noise from the neighbors and the construction went away for a few days. Wish I could say the same for that pack of howling dogs! I wondered if maybe my neighbors were HT lurkers. Nope! All was quiet because of the rain. Today - no rain - lotsa noise.

The BF keeps offering to 'air horn' them, lol! Super - not - aloha!

This morning's construction noise sounded like they were using a power drill to strip every screw and bolt on that house! Funny though, now its 8am, and the drilling has stopped, and they're unloading trucks or something because there's that constant 'beep..beep..beep' of trucks backing up!

I definately need to do a friendly introduction to our neighbors, and there's a few winter squashes growing in the garden right now that'll be ripe in a day or two. So I guess the best plan is to try to catch up with them , do a nice intro, and offer them a squash?

I've casually brought the neighbors up to the landlady, but she doesn't seem interested. I think she's lived on this block the longest of anyone - at least 40 years, so while I'm the new kid, I don't want to mess with any system that the 'old kid' has going on. Simultaneously, these neighbors that are loud are also very new to the neighborhood, and don't seem to care about 'fitting in' and playing nice as much as I do.

I dunno about the construction, and I've been dreaming of the day that that stupid house will be finished! What's the law here anyway? I always thought that you weren't supposed to be loud between 10pm and 7am.

Thanks everyone for the advice and stories - they're all helpful!

PS- whatever those construction guys are doing now sounds like somebody is feeding an anchor chain through a wood chipper!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Our hours are "noise" can be from 8 a.m. - 6:00 pm and parties
                must end by 10:00 pm if "noisy." "Quiet Hours" are 10 pm - 8:00 a.m.
                Probably these are in accordance with the city requirements.
                I don't know how the garbage truck fits into all this but with it coming at
                5:30 or so it can be annoying. My bedroom is in the far end of the house away from the street so I never hear it, the air-conditioning helps so my room
                is pretty sound proof from anything anyway.

http://www.honolulu.gov/main/government/

You have a lot of questions about regulations and ordinances the site
                above is the official city & county web page and is very helpful.

Comment

GG has a point.

Unfortunately, our beagley neighbors were indeed thoughtless louts. They tramped through other neighbors' gardens when they thought no one was looking (parents) and disposed of their beagle's raw, steaming excretions in other people's rubbish bins (kids). So yeah, they got no aloha from either of us. We would have definitely approached them in an open, friendly manner had they demonstrated higher charachter. But the "tough love" approach has worked just fine for them. And at least the other neighbors now know who was responsible for dumping unwrapped dog poop in their rubbish bins.
                  "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

hi this is sansei and at this moment,i heard our young neighbor who ride's his modifed moped doing a pop wheelie on his moped and then when i view him through our window,he stop's his modified moped and walk's it up his hill and then he not to long ago,went up another close hill and someone who's a neighbor is talking to him,

and now,i hear our younger neighbor's father weedwhacking his yard and i have my airline earplug's in so it drown's out the sound and it's working.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                      All was quiet because of the rain. Today - no rain - lotsa noise.
                      A bedside fan is sounding better and better. It's starting to sound like the real problem is a very quiet neighborhood - no wind, no rain, no traffic - it just magnifies any sounds that drift in from the neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                        beagles, more so than some other breeds (like eric's mom's very independent shiba inu, for example), crave human closeness. so, esp after it having gone through four homes, i'm not surprised that despite your efforts to be good dog parents, your beagle was so anxious.

i've said it before, i'll say it again: lots of people don't bother to research dogs before making the purchase and bringing a four legged friend home. they stupidly wonder why their collie is so rambunctious and breaks furniture or their chihuahua is so jumpy and nippy at strangers...or why their beagle bays constantly and so loudly that it can be heard two blocks away when poorly exercised and left home alone.

...as for noisy neighbors in general? i wonder what effect a well-timed and well-aimed canned air horn toot would have.
                        agreed. we tried everything. and, you could literally hear her from 2 blocks away. she mellowed out somewhat as she got older. passed away at 16 years old. that's a lot of doggie years.

our other beagle/besenji mix just passed on 11/24/08 at almost 19 years old. she could only manage a feeble bark. she took on the beagle personality through her stomach. my goodness! insatiable appetites they have.

at least we will be finding peace and quiet when we move to the big island coming mid december. we do not have any immediate neighbors. that could be good and/or bad. all the homes are situated on 3 acre lots.
                        Last edited by kani-lehua; December 4, 2008, 12:54 PM.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                          at least we will be finding peace and quiet when we move to the big island coming mid december. we do not have any immediate neighbors. that could be good and/or bad. all the homes are situated on 3 acre lots.
                          Good luck. Even though there might not be any houses nearby, you WILL have neighbors. As a light sleeper, I need earplugs to deal with both my human neighbors and also dogs, roosters, crickets, flocks of doves, etc. At least I don't have coqui frogs yet.

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
                            Good luck. Even though there might not be any houses nearby, you WILL have neighbors. As a light sleeper, I need earplugs to deal with both my human neighbors and also dogs, roosters, crickets, flocks of doves, etc. At least I don't have coqui frogs yet.
                            lol! you forgot to mention the feral pigs. and, them coqui frogs are everywhere including, kailua, o'ahu. birds and crickets i can deal with. the roosters? trap them and eat them?
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                              birds and crickets i can deal with
                              Most crickets irritate me, but really aren't too bad. Some people actually find them to be soothing. But one insect that drives me nuts is the cone-headed grasshopper, also known as the irritating grasshopper or aggravating grasshopper. Instead of intermittent chirping, it emits a constant buzzing that sounds like high voltage electric wires sizzling at about 80 decibels right outside the window.

Comment

A bedside fan is sounding better and better. It's starting to sound like the real problem is a very quiet neighborhood - no wind, no rain, no traffic - it just magnifies any sounds that drift in from the neighbors.
                                I work night shift and sleep during the day. I always sleep with a fans running on both sides of my head and it really helps! I have been able to sleep through construction noise going on in my house including a new roof being put on over my head, the noise of the planes from the marine base flying right over me, and noise from jackhammers tearing up the road in front of my house.

Comment

Working...
                                X