Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Noisy Neighbors

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    Chances are that if your neighbors get up at the crack of dawn every morning, they are headed to work. The last thing their tired bodies want to deal with is a neighbor who complains that they cannot "sleep late" because of the working neighbor's morning routine noise.
    Frankly speaking, I don't think people whose jobs start early in the morning deserve any special consideration over people whose jobs require them to work until very late at night.

If I had a neighbor who doesn't want to put up with complaints about them being overly noisy before 6 am as they prepare for work, they sure as hell don't have any right to say anything to me about any noise coming from my home after midnight as I take my shower and fix myself with something to munch on in the kitchen.

I want to be a fly on the wall if you decide to tell your neighbors to be more quiet in the morning.
    So you think that TG should suffer in silence? Some advice.

I would talk it out with my neighbor in a calm, friendly manner. Explain to them what is bothering you. A lot of times, these problems exist because your neighbor simply isn't aware.

If that doesn't work, you may have to take it to the next step, which would be to seek the services of a domestic mediator.

That,.... or choose to suffer in silence.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

i'm just wondering? how long has the TG's landlandy been living there? is it possible that TG could talk to her instead? maybe the landlady could talk to the neighbors? maybe they have a good relationship? what if they don't have a good relationship? if my neighbors had a problem with my tenant, i'd hope that they would come talk to me about it. our tenant is the new "kid" on the block. whereas we neighbors have been just that for decades.

actually, we had a problem with one of our neighbor's tenants and his motorcyle. that guy would rev it up very early in the morning. he and our tenant are only separated by our hollow tile wall and maybe 10 feet. the neighbor spoke to her tenant and he made the adjustment--would walk it out to the street about a block away and then start it.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        So you think that TG should suffer in silence? Some advice.
        The alarms ring (twice), and loud.
        They talk, loud.
        They cook, loud.
        They wash dishes, loud
        They close their windows, loud.

With those complaints, which are just part of everyday life when people start the day (alarm/talking/cooking/dishes/windows), yes my advice is to keep silent and instead just close the bedroom window in the morning before the noise starts, thus shutting out the offending noise.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

The alarms ring (twice), and loud.
          They talk, loud.
          They cook, loud.
          They wash dishes, loud
          They close their windows, loud.

With those complaints, which are just part of everyday life when people start the day (alarm/talking/cooking/dishes/windows),
          Not at 5 AM in the morning, which is the case with TG's neighbors.

yes my advice is to keep silent and instead just close the bedroom window in the morning before the noise starts, thus shutting out the offending noise.
          I thank the stars for having neighbors who actually show consideration for others and aren't self-centered louts.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Not at 5 AM in the morning, which is the case with TG's neighbors.

I thank the stars for having neighbors who actually show consideration for others and aren't self-centered louts.
            I agree, those who have very quiet and always considerate neighbors are lucky. But for those who don't have such perfect neighbors, shutting your own window to block out the morning noise might be the wisest action.

Not everyone takes well to being told how to act in their own house by a neighbor, especially when the supposed offensive is actually within reason for a household getting ready for work. The complaint was noise from alarms, cooking, dishes, talking. Not loud rock music, or loud cars "warming up in the driveway", or basketball games in the driveway at 5am, or drunks staggering around the yard yelling. Nope, just the sounds of getting up and about in the morning. Some families are noiser than others. That's life in the suburbs.

Comment

I'd go with the earplugs or a small bedside fan too (or both!). That way you don't have to sacrafice your breeze for quiet. Jason used to snore a lot during a brief period when he had a series of sinus infections, so I just stocked up on squishy earplugs. And I've always had to have a small fan going at night- I can't sleep in dead silence. This actually started when I had noisy neighbors who stood outside my bedroom window in an apartment complex at 4am talking and drinking beer. I lived alone and they were creepy and NO WAY was I going to be all, "Um, can you guys go back inside and shut up? Maybe put away your knife collection too? Thanks!" Thank God my lease was up, so I moved.

And now of course---after all the airplanes from Hickam and the airport flying over the house, I can probably sleep through a tornado!

If those don't work, then maybe mention it to your landlandy and see if it bothers her too. If not, then maybe you could consider saying something as a last resort. But try the earplugs and fan first.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                What's a good aloha way to handle them?
                Kill them while they're sleeping.

Oh, you mean a good way.

Kill their alarm clock while they're sleeping (killing that is not murder).

Assuming they're not hard of hearing -- speaking as someone who wears hearing aids but not when I'm sleeping -- just politely talk to them.

Oh, and don't give them coffee as a gift. You WANT them to go sleep early, so they can wake up without the alarm clock.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

...and then there was the stabbing outside my bedroom window at 3am on New Years day morning almost 3 years ago. SHE stabbed HIM. Then I had the cops in my condo for an hour taking my statement! Talk about not being able to go back to sleep...

The good news? It doesn't happen 5 mornings each week!

Comment

I know people who call Oahu ,, the rock. Many are desperate to get off it. The times I have stayed there, I have found it to be noisy and violent. Yet the Big Island,,,,, I loved.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                      I know people who call Oahu ,, the rock. Many are desperate to get off it. The times I have stayed there, I have found it to be noisy and violent. Yet the Big Island,,,,, I loved.
                      Hey, no make li' dat.

Sure, there are some problems.
                      Yes, island fever hits some.
                      Yeah, there are noisy and violent people in the mix.

But also there are quiet, peaceful, and nice people everywhere in Hawaii, even here on Oahu.

Comment

We took a little trip to Kaua`i this weekend, and were glad to get back home to O`ahu. Kaua`i is beautiful, but not home.

We live in a condo in a neighborhood of condos. So we get used to the noise. It has worked so far.

Comment

It may be that your neighbors simply do not know they are offending anyone. I humbly suggest that you could start off by educating your noisy neighbors regarding the noise ordinances for Honolulu (available online). I believe the noise from their "routine" morning activities might be outside the designated hours put forth by the C&C.

A subtle, anonymously mailed letter to your neighbors that they are bothering someone who's trying to sleep backed up by printed copies of any laws they may be in violation of might be the perfect wake-up call.

We briefly put up with cacophonous baying from a neighbor's beagle. The wee beast would sound off dutifully every morning as his owners would depart weekdays at 6 a.m. and then would literally bay, not bark, at everyone who passed within eyeshot of their property, including his owners when they returned home and as they prepared dinner. You almost couldn't blame the poor dog as he was kept chained outside 24/7 on a piddly patch of turf.

Although it took a combination of informative letters, visits from police, notices from the Humane Society, a few shirtless confrontations and a blast or two from the 152 dB air horns in my truck, the neighbors did finally get it: We weren't going to stand for their thoughtless ways.

The beagle family now walk their dog daily and keep their dog inside like how you're supposed to care for a beagle. And we now enjoy uninterrupted sleep as Serta intended.
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Sadly, it's illegal to shoot noisy neighbours in England but we have ASBO'S - - Anti Social Behaviour Orders.
                            These Work. The culprits and the landlords are taken to court. Then the noisy neighbour is evicted and the landlord pays a heavy fine or a jail sentance.

Comment

our beagle had issues! she was so loved by us. kept her busy all the time. took her for walks. never chained. roamed free in the yard. we were her fourth owners. separation anxiety was the diagnosis. that girl howled when we would leave the house. so since i never apologized to my neighbors for disturbing them, i do so now. SORRY!
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              reflect, repent and reboot.
                              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                                our beagle had issues! she was so loved by us. kept her busy all the time. took her for walks. never chained. roamed free in the yard. we were her fourth owners. separation anxiety was the diagnosis. that girl howled when we would leave the house. so since i never apologized to my neighbors for disturbing them, i do so now. SORRY!
                                beagles, more so than some other breeds (like eric's mom's very independent shiba inu, for example), crave human closeness. so, esp after it having gone through four homes, i'm not surprised that despite your efforts to be good dog parents, your beagle was so anxious.

i've said it before, i'll say it again: lots of people don't bother to research dogs before making the purchase and bringing a four legged friend home. they stupidly wonder why their collie is so rambunctious and breaks furniture or their chihuahua is so jumpy and nippy at strangers...or why their beagle bays constantly and so loudly that it can be heard two blocks away when poorly exercised and left home alone.

...as for noisy neighbors in general? i wonder what effect a well-timed and well-aimed canned air horn toot would have.
                                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                                X