Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being a tobacco smoker lessen the dating pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does being a tobacco smoker lessen the dating pool?

Only about 1/4 the population smokes cigarettes. Does being a smoker mean you lessen your potential "dating pool" by eliminating the other 3/4 of the population (non-smokers)? Do non-smokers prefer to only date other non-smokers, not smokers?

Poll:
    If you are a non-smoker, will you date a smoker? [If married, did this come into play when dating?]

This is my first attempt at doing a HT poll, the topic came about in another thread and I thought I'd give a poll a try.
    I am a non-smoker who will [did] date smokers
    28.57%
    I am a non-smoker who will NOT [did NOT] date smokers
    71.43%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Amati; November 23, 2008, 11:33 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Does being a smoker lessen the dating pool?

Based on what I know, the results of your poll would be at least somewhat influenced by “what” those potential dates smoke.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      Based on what I know, the results of your poll would be at least somewhat influenced by “what” those potential dates smoke.
      OK, to clarify, we are talking about smoking tobacco (cigarettes, cigars, and pipes).

Comment

I don't like to make out with ash trays, so I wouldn't date a smoker...as a matter of fact, I have seen some hot chicks and the second they light up, it is like an instant turn off. Just my opinion though.
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

I find the smell of a good cigar, and even bad pipe tobacco, to be not offensive.

I assumed your poll meant ciggy's. They stink like a$$. A hot chick, who lights a coffin nail, is a turn-off, like Tatt says. Also, a hot chick, with a scent of an old ciggy around her, is simply NOT a hot chick.

Your poll is incomplete. The only burning, smokable substance I detest is ciggy's. And believe me, if you could light it, I have tried it, except for ciggy's.

Poll is unanimous so far. Looks like the answer to your question is a definitive YES.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I have one neighbor who gets sent by his house frau to his garage to smoke, which means it blows right into our bedroom. BSTARD! My other neighbor smokes a cigar and I encounter that while hanging my freshly washed laundry on the line. But at least it isn't as gross as the ciggies.

Then I have a workout friend who smokes so much it permeates from her skin. So at 4 a.m. when I'm at 24HF she's two rows in front of me standing in front of the fan for a good five minutes so the rest of us have to be second-hand smokers. It's really gross. I'm thinking of moving to a different area for my daily dawn elliptical routine.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              Only about 1/4 the population smokes cigarettes. Does being a smoker mean you lessen your potential "dating pool" by eliminating the other 3/4 of the population (non-smokers)? Do non-smokers prefer to only date other non-smokers, not smokers?

Poll:
              If you are a non-smoker, will you date a smoker? [If married, did this come into play when dating?]

This is my first attempt at doing a HT poll, the topic came about in another thread and I thought I'd give a poll a try.
              I can date a smoker, if the smoker promise she won't light up during the date.

I mean if she has to light up because she's wired tight and need to relax, she should just get a drink or a nicotine patch. Otherwise, if she's too nervous to be on a date, then she shouldn't be on a date.

But if I want someone for a serious relationship, then I'll have to be selfish and want no smoker for a gf or a wife.
              Last edited by Random; November 24, 2008, 06:24 AM.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                I can date a smoker, if the smoker promise she won't light up during the date.
                Yo Random! Is that one smokin' avatar you got?
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My second wife was a smoker (still is, as far as I know - while we've spoken by phone, I've not seen her in several years; last I saw her, she looked grey and pallid). She smoked while we dated, so I knew what I was getting into, but she quit for several years of our marriage. Towards the end of the relationship, she started up again surreptitiously, though I was able to tell. It was one of many factors that ended the marriage. My health improved after we split as well.

Much as others here have said, no matter how attractive I find a woman, if I see her light up, she plummets to a "zero" in my eyes - one spark kills another, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    I find the smell of a good cigar, and even bad pipe tobacco, to be not offensive.

I assumed your poll meant ciggy's. They stink like a$$. A hot chick, who lights a coffin nail, is a turn-off, like Tatt says. Also, a hot chick, with a scent of an old ciggy around her, is simply NOT a hot chick.

Your poll is incomplete. The only burning, smokable substance I detest is ciggy's. And believe me, if you could light it, I have tried it, except for ciggy's.

Poll is unanimous so far. Looks like the answer to your question is a definitive YES.
                    I think the poll allows for up to 10 choices. Guess I could have added as a choice, "Yes, but only if it is a good smelling cigar".

Yes, KT, it does seem to be overwhelming that non-smokers prefer other non-smokers. The comments being posted are as interesting as the poll itself.

Comment

I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. I assume I'm also allergic to cigar and pipe smoke, too, but I've not been exposed to those recently. I used to hate the smell of cigars but the smell of any kind of smoke is no longer an issue!

Comment

Dated a smoker once in college, although I was allergic. Made a vow to never date another smoker ever again after that. As other people mentioned, it was like kissing an ashtray, albeit sometimes a gum-scented ashtray.

Increased sensitivity to smoke of any kind over the years has only strengthened that vow of mine. Nowadays if I smell cigarette smoke for even five minutes my nose gets clogged up and my throat gets irritated and I wake up sounding like I have a frog in my throat. Exposure for more than 10 min and I start coughing and my eyes start watering and my nose starts running--and it says like that for the rest of the night and well into the morning, even if I remove myself from the smokey situation.

I inherited my mom's allergies. I suppose in some ways it's a blessing in disguise.
                        Last edited by AbsolutChaos; November 24, 2008, 11:09 AM.

Comment

who would want to make out let alone date a "blah" that smells like an ashtray

yes amati...yes to your question
                          stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                            who would want to make out let alone date a "blah" that smells like an ashtray

yes amati...yes to your question
                            I dated a smoker once...but she was worth it
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I was partnered with someone for 13 years that chewed tobacco but feel like I got the ole bait and switch pullled on me. I didn't know about this particular habit until I'd moved in with him after 3 years of dating. He'd quit before meeting me and started up again after we moved in together. I didn't even know he'd ever chewed. I will never, ever date someone that chews. Hopefully I don't get the ole bait and switch next time! He was a pretty good guy in most respects but that one always ticked me off.
                              Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X