Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now the truth can be told about Barack Obama!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now the truth can be told about Barack Obama!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/bar...random_act.htm
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Now the truth can be told about Barack Obama!

Cool story! Has it been confirmed yet?

Comment

Not to rag on the guy (but I am, I know) but I wouldn't have accepted anything back at the time. A gesture in good faith is one thing, but to get paid for doing it is simply a service. And in 1988, a hundred bucks was a lot more attainable and disposable than today. It was the decade where people made and spent a lot of money (sometimes foolishly like myself). The 80's was a fabulous decade for wealth-building. The 90's however was payback time.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I would expect that all of us have in our background numerous random acts of kindness.

"Now the truth can be told about Barack Obama", the truth that he, like most, has been generous to a stranger in need? And, why is it just "now" that the "truth can be told". Was the story withheld in the past by the ... by whom.... and why?
        Last edited by Amati; November 24, 2008, 11:10 AM.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Craig, it was a good deed for Chrissakes! Why denigrate something that doesn't happen nearly enough?
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            "Now the truth can be told about Barack Obama", the truth that he, like most, has been generous to a stranger in need? So.....? And, why is it just "now" that the "truth can be told". Was the story withheld in the past by the ... by whom.... and why?
            So? The recipient of the largess wanted to give credit where credit was due, that's all. No, the story hasn't been withheld, it has been circulating for several years now in both print and on the Internet.

What has happened to the HT ohana? Has the drinking water in Hawai'i all gone skunky at the same time?

Props to President Obama!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
              Cool story! Has it been confirmed yet?
              Yes, it has been confirmed by the recipient, the recipient's parents, by newspapers in California and Norway, and by about.com

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                Craig, it was a good deed for Chrissakes! Why denigrate something that doesn't happen nearly enough?
                Because a good samaritan doesn't accept payment for acting out of kindness.

What Obama did was a nice thing, accepting payment turned it into a service. That's why I don't charge for computer repair labor, my good deed is to help those who can't afford the huge cost of fixing their computers. To accept payment cancels that.

And good deeds do happen more than we'd like to know...however most good samaritans tend not to want to leave a name for reimbursement. Anonymous donation of services is more rewarding than to be recognized for doing so. Recognition by virtue of giving out your own name for that fact is self-serving to me and fails my test of generosity.

But I'll admit and agree he did help her out of a tight bind. I would have let it go at that and told her to pass this act of random kindness along to another when that time comes rather than accepting anything.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  But I'll admit and agree he did help her out of a tight bind. I would have let it go at that and told her to pass this act of random kindness along to another when that time comes rather than accepting anything.
                  I don't have a problem with "loaning" the needed money, that is an act of kindness in itself [loaning money to a stranger]. But, I do wonder about the "Now the Truth Can Be Told" angle of this thread. The truth could not be told BEFORE? Before what? Who was withholding the story? Sounds rather dramatic.

Comment

I don't have a problem with "loaning" the needed money, that is an act of kindness in itself [loaning money to a stranger]. But, I do wonder about the "Now the Truth Can Be Told" angle of this thread. The truth could not be told BEFORE? Before what? Who was withholding the story? Sounds rather dramatic.
                    Remember Buzz works for the Advertiser where headlines are very impressionable But I'll assume that he meant it that way because if it were to be divulged during the campaign, it would have made it look like a cheap way of getting votes at the sake of this newlywed. Timing is critical and at least Obama didn't have to resort to that kind of recognition during a critical time.

Comment

Remember Buzz works for the Advertiser where headlines are very impressionable But I'll assume that he meant it that way because if it were to be divulged during the campaign, it would have made it look like a cheap way of getting votes at the sake of this newlywed. Timing is critical and at least Obama didn't have to resort to that kind of recognition during a critical time.
                      Ah, professional headlines at work. And regarding "timing", such as the story about the disabled relative living in public housing coming out right before the election .... that kind of timing?

Comment

Ah, professional headlines at work. And regarding "timing", such as the story about the disabled relative living in public housing coming out right before the election .... that kind of timing?
                        I was wondering about that issue.

Comment

Because a good samaritan doesn't accept payment for acting out of kindness. What Obama did was a nice thing, accepting payment turned it into a service.
                          As one article said:
                          "I started to cry, tears were pouring down my face and I had no idea what to do," she said. "Then I heard a gentle and friendly voice behind me saying, 'That's OK, I'll pay for her.' " The nicely dressed stranger paid the $103 fee. Mary thanked him profusely and asked him to give her his address, so she could repay him.
                          What you see as "accepting payment," I see as "accepting reimbursement." Perhaps she refused his charity, insisting that she be allowed to repay him; letting her keep her pride intact is a factor that ought to be considered.

And, why is it just "now" that the "truth can be told". Was the story withheld in the past by the ... by whom.... and why?
                          No - it was in Norway's Verdens Gang newspaper on October 14, and the Santa Rosa (CA) Press-Democrat on October 26 - both dates falling before the election.

Comment

That's nice.

But not to dismiss this (or yank it aside), how about telling me something more local that Obama committed a random act of kindness.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Perhaps she refused his charity, insisting that she be allowed to repay him; letting her keep her pride intact is a factor that ought to be considered.
                              Or perhaps not.

Comment

Working...
                              X