X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lingle Snubs Obama, Again!

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
    mike lowery said it better.....she's a stinky poo-poo head

@ diamond3121 - as oppose to other governors' attending? they don't have commitments?

and that palinimal?
    Not all governor are attending if ONLY 40 will be there. So apparently she is not the only one not able to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      Maybe she might have a chance at Congress if Neil Abercrombie decides to run for governor as rumored.
      I think Abercrombie would be nuts to do that. He's set for life where he is now. Governor is only a two term office. Not unless someone makes him a deal for after those 8 years ......

I personally think that Lingle's political career is set to wind down.
      Locally anyway. I think it's quite clear she's looking at a move to national politics. That's why she's been out and about so much.

Comment

I think Mufi said it best in this morning’s Advertiser:
        “I believe it’s a huge mistake,” Hannemann said in a statement. “This is the time to put partisan politics aside and do what’s best for Hawai‘i. The fact that 40 of 50 governors, including Gov. Palin, plan to attend the conference shows that Gov. Lingle is out of step with our government leaders.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

This is a nanny, nanny, boo-boo to all of those in Hawaii who cast their vote for Obama. What was that, 75 percent of all votes cast? She cannot attend because she has to take care of the state's economy? So while she's stumping across the country for her party, Hawaii's economy wasn't already in a downward spiral? Did she think her country-wide stumping would put Hawaii back on the tourism map?

Maybe we're all missing the point of her strategy. Exactly how is this better for Hawaii? If ever there were a time she should be traveling, it would be right now to this meeting. My guess is the governor's office is confident Hawaii's Congressional delegation can take care of us without her. I agree with that. But as a civil servant in Hawaii this appears to be a selfish move.

I understand she's invited him to meet with her when he comes for a family service for Toot. Nice. She won't go to him, but she thinks he should go to her? It's gonna get lonely in that little sandbox. What a disaster.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
            /snip I understand she's invited him to meet with her when he comes for a family service for Toot. Nice. She won't go to him, but she thinks he should go to her? It's gonna get lonely in that little sandbox. What a disaster.
            That reminds me of the discussion about Lingle not thinking Obama was local and one of her reasons (besides the fact that he didn't have a job here and pay taxes here) was that she had never met him. Maybe she does feel slighted by that ~ maybe she feels that if he was gonna claim roots in Hawaii he should have paid homage to her so she now wants him to come to her instead of her being lumped into a group of Governors.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              I think Abercrombie would be nuts to do that. He's set for life where he is now. Governor is only a two term office. Not unless someone makes him a deal for after those 8 years ......
              Abercrombie, nuts for leaving his seat in Congress? I guess so,.... if one were of the single track mind that job security is the one and only consideration in a career.

But ya know, there's other people in the world for whom clinging on to job security is not the prime consideration in life. Believe it or not, they look forward to taking on a different challenge and aren't afraid to try something new. After 18 years in the US House, Neil appears to have fallen into the latter category. It's also been said that after nearly 2 decades working in DC, he wants to spend more time in the islands.

In the year 2010, Neil will turn 72. If he does run for governor and serves for a couple of terms, he'll be 80 after it is all said and done. So it's not as if ole Neil will have a long future ahead of him after being governor. Let's keep things in perspective here.

Locally anyway. I think it's quite clear she's looking at a move to national politics. That's why she's been out and about so much.
              I don't see much of a career path in national politics for Lingle at this point, unless Neil vacates his seat in Congress and she makes a bid for it in 2010. There's been no talk about Lingle being a potential candidate for an appointment, either in Obama's administration or even in the Republican National Committee.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There's been no talk about Lingle being a potential candidate for an appointment, either in Obama's administration or even in the Republican National Committee.
                I'm not sure what Lingle is eying. I'm sure she's got a plan. And from her actions, I think partisan politics plays a bigger in it than Hawaii's voters.

Comment

I personally think that Lingle's political career is set to wind down.
                  ...except when it really counts. Let’s not forget that its the very body Lingle is snubbing — the National Governors Association — that helped launch the career of President Bill Clinton. Certainly, her decision does not help any national political aspirations she may have.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

According to the web site http://hawaii.gov/gov/schedule/pubsc...ember-1-7-2008 where her public schedule is published (it seems every week), this is what is going on next week for her:

Public Schedule for the Week of December 1-7, 2008

December 1, Internal meeting with Ted Liu, director, Dept. of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, and Tourism Liaison Marsha Wienert, following up on tourism outreach and next steps from the Asia trip.
                    December 1, Internal meeting on health care with Executive Office on Aging, Hawai`i Health Systems Corporation, Dept. of Health, and Dept. of Budget and Finance.
                    December 1, Governor Lingle will discuss state issues on the afternoon drive-time radio show with host Mike Buck from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. HST. The show can be heard live in Hilo (The Beach, KTBH 102.1 FM), Maui (KAOI 1110 AM), Kaua`i (KQNG 570 AM), and O`ahu (KHVH 830 AM), as well as on the Governor's Web site www.hawaii.gov/gov. Listeners are invited to call 808-521-8383 from O`ahu or 888-565-8383 from the Neighbor Islands with questions and comments.
                    December 2, Internal meeting with economic team including Pearl Iboshi, Chief State Economist; Dept. of Budget and Finance; Dept. of Business, Economic Development and Tourism; and Dept. of Transportation, to discuss highways modernization.
                    December 2, Governor Lingle will announce another key step in Hawai`i's pursuit of a clean energy economy, as outlined in the Hawai`i Clean Energy Initiative, which seeks to provide 70% of Hawai`i's energy needs through renewable sources by 2030.
                    December 2, Internal meeting with members of the Administration's "Strike Team" on capital improvement projects for infrastructure statewide.
                    December 2, Internal meeting with senior executives of Lockheed Martin, including Dr. Ted Johnson, director, regarding the recent Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) agreement.
                    December 2, Admiral Keating and other officials Armed Forces Commanders and community leaders.
                    December 3, Governor Lingle will discuss state issues on her monthly radio show with host Rick Hamada from 7:05 - 8:00 a.m. HST. Listeners are invited to call 808-521-8383 from O`ahu or 888-565-8383 from the Neighbor Islands with questions and comments. The show can be heard live statewide on O`ahu (KHVH 830 AM), Maui/Kona (KAOI 1110 AM), Hilo (KPUA 670 AM), and Kaua`i (KQNG 570 AM), as well as on the Governor's Web site www.hawaii.gov/gov.
                    December 3, Internal meetings with Dept. of Agriculture, Office of Planning, Dept. of Hawaiian Homelands, Dept. of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, and Dept. of Budget and Finance.
                    December 3, Internal meetings with economic stimulus team, including the Dept. of Taxation.
                    December 3, Governor Lingle will deliver keynote remarks to members of the Building Industry Association (BIA) at their annual installation banquet.
                    December 4, Governor Lingle will attend the Hawai`i Secondary Student Conference, an event established to help students, grades 7 – 12, participate in the decision-making process of laws and government.
                    December 5, Governor Lingle will open the inaugural VEX Robotics Pan-Pacific Championships (Dec. 4 – 6) at the Hawai`i Convention Center. The competition will feature 84 VEX robotics teams from Hawai`i, the U.S. mainland, China and Japan. VEX robotics is a team-based learning competition that puts high school and middle school students' science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) skills to the test. With guidance from teachers and mentors, students aim to build innovative robots and solve a challenge in this year's game, "Elevation."
                    December 5, Governor Lingle will meet with Australian Ambassador to the United States Dennis Richardson.
                    December 7, The Governor will preside over the installation of new officers of the United Chinese Society of Hawai`i at the organization's annual installation banquet.

Comment

Originally posted by princessdiz View Post
                      According to the web site http://hawaii.gov/gov/schedule/pubsc...ember-1-7-2008 where her public schedule is published (it seems every week), this is what is going on next week for her:
                      Hey, thanks for that link. "Learn somthing new every day" huh!

I'm not as upset about Lingle not attending the conference as others profess to be. She knows she only has a few weeks left as our governor, and perhaps she has other plans in store for herself that she knows having attended this conference (or not) will not matter in those plans.

Meanwhile, the reality is that the public does not really care which legislators attend functions or not, because if the public DID care, they would not keep voting in politicians that do not bother to attend legislative sessions when voting on bills is being conducted.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

a few WEEKS?? she is governor until 2010 - thats a few more years!
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm pretty sure Duke can handle the minor duties on the Lingle schedual for the few day's of the conference, but after more than a month (in total...) away from Oahu, she's using that and the ecconomy as an excuse to not attend.

She's used the McPalin campaign as a springboard towards getting a toehold in DC and letting the hard right gutter ballers know that she's their guy and will go as low as they want her to.

Again, I saw this side of her from the start of her first run for Gov.
                          Why this state went overboard for her I'll never fully understand.

Iwase in 2010!
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            a few WEEKS?? she is governor until 2010 - thats a few more years!
                            Ahh, yes, my bad on the mixing of words weeks and months. But my thoughts remain the same, that she is planning for other things and evidently her playing ball with other Governors is not that important at this point.
                            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

no problem - we all make mistakes like that. I wish it was only a few weeks though. Personally, I think she's just embarassed to face Obama after what she has said about him.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

And seeing as how she does have the better part of two years, she can afford to tick off some voters now - they'll all forget by the next election. They nearly always do.

Comment

Working...
                                X