Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lingle Snubs Obama, Again!

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    What is going on behind closed doors we'll never know, but I'm sure our Hawaii government has its hand in this major PUC matter.
    The peoples' business (that IS the point of government in this country, ain't it?) ought not to be conducted "behind closed doors," particularly in such a critical matter as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      By now all of us have read Lingle’s detailed agenda for the next week, and the PUC isn’t on it.
      Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      The peoples' business (that IS the point of government in this country, ain't it?) ought not to be conducted "behind closed doors," particularly in such a critical matter as this one.
      Instructions for anyone who don't know that major decisions in government, the legislature, and business are often done "behind closed doors", and the topics are not always put on a "public agenda": pull head out of the sand.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

So I guess with all the warning signs she got from Aloha Exec. weren`t enough?, just like Hawn`tel with the red light blinking, "warning". Now she wants to act like she care, too dam late!
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Instructions for anyone who don't know that major decisions in government, the legislature, and business are often done "behind closed doors", and the topics are not always put on a "public agenda": pull head out of the sand.
          I didn't say they aren't done that way - I said they ought not to be. Please re-read. Comprehension can be clearer the second time around.

Comment

I didn't say they aren't done that way - I said they ought not to be. Please re-read. Comprehension can be clearer the second time around.
            Ah yes, point taken, and I agree it with you that it shouldn't be that way. Especially if we taxpayers are paying the wages. Gee, what a thread of depressing thoughts this has turned in to.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Ah yes, point taken, and I agree it with you that it shouldn't be that way. Especially if we taxpayers are paying the wages. Gee, what a thread of depressing thoughts this has turned in to.
              I'm not depressed about this topic.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I didn't say they aren't done that way - I said they ought not to be.
                Generally speaking, Sunshine Laws are healthy for democracy. But there are the few times when it is in the public's best interest to have certain matters discussed privately in executive session. For example, a city council mapping out legal strategy for an upcoming lawsuit would not want sensitive information to be publicly revealed as it might hurt their case in court.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 1, 2008, 10:20 PM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Was watching CNN while working out this morning at 24HF Hawaii Kai. The coverage for the meeting in Philly between President-elect Obama and the governors was dubbed, "States in need." Since Hawaii isn't present, what can we conclude?
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Today's paper reported that in a pathetic retort to Dems accusing Lingle of being derelict in her duties here at home, and not attending the upcoming Obama/Governors economy pow wow, she blew them off with her standard quip of them being "silly". This is her common and minimal
                    vernacular that is used to deflect criticism that is appropriate and accurate.

Her dispicable actions lately are way beyond silly.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

By any chance is the Lt. Governor going to this conference in her place?

Comment

The LL team has made that suggestion, butI doubt having a Lt. Gov there would be very acceptable to the others that made the trip.
                        Lingle needs to do what she accused the Dems of, and remember that the election is over, and get her butt to the conference instead of sewing sour grapes.

Comment

Gee, what a thread of depressing thoughts this has turned in to.
                          Well, anytime you get into politics here on HT, it ain't gonna be a cheery time; that's part of the fun, isn't it?
                          Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          Generally speaking, Sunshine Laws are healthy for democracy. But there are the few times when it is in the public's best interest to have certain matters discussed privately in executive session. For example, a city council mapping out legal strategy for an upcoming lawsuit would not want sensitive information to be publicly revealed as it might hurt their case in court.
                          Right - but I was speaking of this specific Hawaiian Tel matter. As for discussion of legal strategy, attorney-client privilege prevents the public discussion of such an activity anyway.
                          Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          ...instead of sewing sour grapes.
                          I hate having to do that. Sometimes you get poked with the needle, what with the grape juice getting all over your hands and clothes and whatnot.
                          Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 3, 2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

/snip As for discussion of legal strategy, attorney-client privilege prevents the public discussion of such an activity anyway. /snip

An attorney cannot release information covered by attorney-client privilege without the client's consent but may if the client does consent (absent a court order to the contrary) and the client may release whatever the client wants to release unless barred by court order. But in general, regarding the State Sunshine Law, discussion of confidential matters such as employment disputes can be held in executive session in which case there may be a disclosure of the general topic but not the specifics.

Whether Lingle meant it to look this way or not, her comments and comments by her surrogates create the impression (to me at least) not just of disrespect and lack of comprehension (calling the meeting just an opportunity for the Governors to have their pictures taken with Obama instead of understanding that it was an opportunity to discuss the needs of each State with Obama) but also a petty attempt at a power play when she says she invited him to meet with her while he's in Hawaii in December so she's not really missing out on meeting with him. She refuses to go meet with him with the other Governors but expects him to come for a special meeting just for her? As if the other Governors weren't busy, too, and didn't also have economic concerns. She's too busy to go meet on his timetable but doesn't think he's gonna be busy so can meet with her on her timetable? and of course Obama's people are being gracious. Because they have class.
                            Last edited by Adri; December 3, 2008, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Klompus submitted op/eds in each of the local papers today, trying to rebute the legit criticisms.
                              Each almost as funny as Dilbert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                The LL team has made that suggestion, butI doubt having a Lt. Gov there would be very acceptable to the others that made the trip.
                                Lingle needs to do what she accused the Dems of, and remember that the election is over, and get her butt to the conference instead of sewing sour grapes.
                                Yeah! Let's waste taxpayers' money to fund her trip! W00t!

Heck, let's pick up her tab for new clothes!
                                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                                X