Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Watch List

It's not quite what you're thinking.

The purpose of this thread is to out any food & beverage establishments you may think are on course for the "Disappearing Establishments" thread, but haven't yet been given their last rites. The twist is I'd like you to give some constructive criticism when naming names.

Having worked in the food and beverage industry for a good chunk of time with many successful operations of varying sizes, I find it lamentable when businesses die preventable deaths. So without any pretense or hubris en papillote, let's try to save a few, shall we?
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Re: Death Watch List

I'm putting Gazen on the list.

What was just a year ago a hot and innovative izakaya shoehorned into the old Bea's Diner location has morphed into a disappointing dud. Compared to our first visit a year ago:
    1. The quality of food has gone down.
    2. Portions have shrunken.
    3. Prices have gone up.

Kapahulu is izakaya central. Ojisan, Nonbei and Tokkuri-Tei are within walking distance, for heaven's sake. Add to that the recent opening of Zen Shu and the competition for nihon cuisine dollars becomes mind boggling. Gazen's parking lot, once regularly packed, now is lucky to host a handful of cars.

What I would suggest:
    1. Bring back the Volcano Fried Rice. What the heck were you thinking taking it off the menu? It's a headliner.
    2. Play to your strengths: tofu and sake. The tofu is made fresh in house; sake selection is superior. You need to get the word out.
    3. Keep the locals coming back. That "Kirin beer happy hour special" banner you put out front doesn't cut it. Get some better lighting for your parking lot and offer a rotating selection of real specials.
    4. Get the food quality back up. Inspire some pride in the kitchen staff; it reflects in the finished product.
    5. Get your name out. Cater a few outside functions every month. The best advertisement is to get your food in people's mouths.

Based on our last experience at Gazen, Cyn and I won't be going back for a fourth visit unless they make some substantial improvements.

Comment

Next up, Pearl Ultralounge.

I meant to post this soon after attending the Girls' Day festivities (that's March 3 for those of you scratching your heads) at Pearl, but a surprise visit from out-of-state family forced me to shuffle my to-do list around.

What a fiasco the event was! "All Dolled Up" may have attracted the rare crowd of majority women, but the service was majority constipation. Never until that fateful Tuesday night have Cyn and I had to suffer a 30-minute wait with nary a glance from a bartender. This despite my whimsical construction of a two-foot tall tower of wayward half-empty water glasses and a drink menu, Cyn's intent glowering at the bartender and, finally, a hail of cardboard coasters hurled shuriken style into ice wells and at the bartender's feet. The last performance at least brought some mirthsome relief to the equally thirsty group of women seated to our right.

Mind you that we're usually quite restrained when out dining/drinking. However, there's never an excuse for a bartender to ignore all his seated customers, only tending to his service well at a pace rivaling that of an arthritic tortoise (and note that his bar had empty seats with no line). When Dan the GM finally made way to the bar, he weakly replied to Cyn's complaints with, "Sorry sweetie, we're trying our best," never even bothering to bend his bartender's ear as he beat a quick retreat with my dismantled tower in hand.

So we took that as our cue to leave.

On further investigation of the mess that was formerly Pearl, two friends of mine still in the business filled me in. Apparently Beau has been AWOL for at least three months. He was last heard to be headed to Texas.

Today's piece in PBN further lifts the veil on the turmoil behind the scenes.

It seems hopeless to offer any helpful suggestions for Pearl at this point. Dead man walking, I say. A pity.

Comment

Not sure what's going on here, but Pasta & Basta by Donato at Restaurant Row has been closed for at least a week.

There is a small sign posted on the door saying "Closed for Renovations," but bartenders at the Row Bar say that they haven't seen any renovation work going on.

If a business is planning to close for renovations, usually there is some kind of advance notice (such as signage, etc.)... but that doesn't seem to have been the case with Pasta & Basta.

Does anyone have any inside scoop...
        Or is this one going straight to the "Disappearing Establishments" thread?
        To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
          Not sure what's going on here, but Pasta & Basta by Donato at Restaurant Row has been closed for at least a week.
          You really should read (regularly!) Erika Engle's column in the Star-Bulletin. It's really well-written and one of my favorite reads, and I hate the business sections of newspapers. She mentions on July 3 that it is, in fact, closed for renovations and explains why (scroll down to the second half). $30,000 for an oven and Donato hopes to reopen "in two or three weeks."
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            You really should read (regularly!) Erika Engle's column in the Star-Bulletin. It's really well-written and one of my favorite reads, and I hate the business sections of newspapers. She mentions on July 3 that it is, in fact, closed for renovations and explains why (scroll down to the second half). $30,000 for an oven and Donato hopes to reopen "in two or three weeks."
            Actually, I do read The Buzz quite regularly.

Erika's one of the only reasons I endure those d*mn intrusive pop-up ads on the SB website!
            I must've missed the July 3rd column, though. Thanks for the info.

Donato & Desiree would be much better served by just enlarging a photocopy of Erika's column and posting it on their door. When I was there, at least 4 other people had the same questions I did.
            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Working...
            X