Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mama Mia

sansei Guest

Red face Mama Mia

Hi This is sansei and if anyone may wish to share on the play mama mia,please post your thought's here,it would be most appreciative,please? With all of the song's from Abba and i think this play should be great!

Well thank's for your time

Default Re: what may anyone's thought's be on Film Mama Mia?

Quote Originally Posted by sansei View Post
    ...if anyone may wish to share on the play mama mia, please post your thoughts here...
    sansei, your thread title asks about the film, but your message asks about the play. Which are you curious about? They are two different productions and two different forms.

I haven't seen the play (I think it's really more of a revue than a play, but never mind). I have seen the film. This is what I wrote about it elsewhere:

I thought the choreography was kind of awkward and weird, at least for the main characters. The dancing in the choruses (all of them) was terrific, I though. One of my students, when I made this comment, said, “That’s probably because the choruses were made up of real dancers.” Aha. Yes.

Also, I think because Abba’s music is so happy and fun and joyful, it doesn’t lend itself well to conflict or drama, yet because this was a film and needed both, songs had to be pressed into play that didn’t really do the job, such as Meryl Streep’s over-angsty “The Winner Takes it All.” There were some very pretty songs, and I thought Streep was terrific in just about every scene. I wasn’t too impressed with Brosnan as a singer, but his acting was pretty good, especially in the “The Winner Takes it All” scene, when all the attention was on Streep’s character.

I’d see it again. I might even pick it up on DVD if it’s inexpensive enough.

6 out of 10, which for me is high for a movie musical.
    I hope this may help with your thoughts.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Any movie in which Meryl Streep gets to glow so joyously is worthwhile.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

But it's Abba. I'd pay to be excused.
    But hey, whatever bloats your goats.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Quote Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
    But it's Abba. I'd pay to be excused.
    But hey, whatever bloats your goats.
    I agree I could not pay to have to hear their music, bad enough it was on the radio for so many years. The In-laws love this show have seen the musical and tried to drag us to the movie last month not a chance of that
    happening especially while we were on vacation.

I do understand it has a large following as do many things everyone
    has a different taste which makes the world go 'round.

Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    I do understand it has a large following as do many things everyone has a different taste which makes the world go 'round.
    Some of that bad.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Default Re: Mama Mia

Mama Mia was on Albert's list of movies to see due to Meryl Streep being in this movie, but that was later canceled due to him finding out that songs in the movie were done by Abba.

For myself since I don't consider the musical genre as a compelling reason to watch a movie, I ended up not seeing this movie.

ABBA wrote the songs, but they are performed by Streep (and others)

Here's a taste. You'll either love it or run screaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGNtimrtGiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT5NIC1Iqvw
    Last edited by buzz1941; December 4th, 2008 at 11:29 AM.
    Burl Burlingame
    honoluluagonizer.com

Quote Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
    ABBA wrote the songs, but they are performed by Streep (and others)

Here's a taste. You'll either love it or run screaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGNtimrtGiI
    Gee, if I just hadn't had a delicious lunch I might but.....and I NEVER
    run anywhere!

I learned a lot about pop songwriting from studying how ABBA structures their melodies. Their sound is way more European-cabaret than American-bar, but their canny layering of hooks and tempos and harmonies is pretty Beach Boys-like.
    I was actually thinking of ABBA when this tune was knocked out, in that the bridge is actually an additional hook, and the guitar riff is oompah-oompah:

http://www.pacificmonograph.com/music/CoolCool.mp3
    Last edited by buzz1941; December 4th, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
    Burl Burlingame
    honoluluagonizer.com

a great happy movie...too bad they didn't use happy hawaii.
    look for cameos from benny and bjorn.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Does Remington Steele/James Bond/part-time Princeville, Kauai resident Pierce Bronsan sing in this one or is his voice dubbed? The movie was on the plane last week coming back from the mainland, I had the earphones but chose to sleep.

Always liked Abba's music and for the movie premiere the four all were reunited for the first time in years. They have been offered a ton of money to reunite.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Does Remington Steele/James Bond/part-time Princeville, Kauai resident Pierce Bronsan sing in this one or is his voice dubbed?
    He sings, lord he'p us...

sansei Guest

Red face Re: Mama Mia

hi this is sansei and in response to sinjin,i disagree that imoho,Abba was the best singing group since the bee gee's and i liked abba's music,they had so many great song's and dancing queen was the best.

well thank's for your time

This movie (and play) is for ABBA fans. If you don't like their music, you should not waste your dollars or time. This was a very polarizing group - you either liked them or hated them. There didn't seem to be much middle ground.

I personally love their music. I plan to watch the DVD when it is released and will attempt to find the $$$ to see the play when it comes here in May. My friend's daughter was one of the main actors in the Las Vegas production and another person I know had his daughter playing the Mother in the same production.

Has anyone seen the movie "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"? you will never listen to "Dancing Queen" in the same way again!

Quote Originally Posted by sansei View Post
    hi this is sansei and in response to sinjin, i disagree that imho, Abba was the best singing group since the Bee Gees
    I wouldn't know how to take exception to this estimation. I never liked bubble gum.

Haven't seen the "Mama Mia" production here (L.V.) but it is a favorite. Ends in a month. Love "Priscilla..." It's so campy.

Mama mia,mama mia,mama mia let me go-
    Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me,for me,for me

aw, c'mon now - shouldn't Queen have it's own thread? (and I love that song!)

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    aw, c'mon now - shouldn't Queen have it's own thread? (and I love that song!)
    Now a musical featuring the music of "Queen" I might go see.

Now a musical featuring the music of Queen I might go see.
    I believe that's in the works.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Now a musical featuring the music of "Queen" I might go see.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I believe that's in the works.
    Your wish is their command: We Will Rock You: The Queen Musical has been touring since 2002. It was supposed to play Seattle in 2004, but the tour was canceled. There's a summary of the plotline and the show's history on Wikipedia as well.

I took my mum and daughter to watch the 'sing along' screening of Mama Mia at Wards back in August. When I bought our tickets, the girl at the counter pointed out that it was the sing along version and I was like, "yeah, I know - that's why we're here!"

It was like karaoke at the movies. It was great to be able to sing along - loudly and without shame! We actually spent a lot of time laughing at all the people around us who obviously didn't need the words on the screen and at the end, some folks even got up and danced!

It was interactive and campy but totally fun! The DVD comes out Tuesday and my daughter has already asked her dad to buy it for her on Blu-Ray. She's only 5 but is a big fan of ABBA music!
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Wife took the daughter to see it at Mililani Multiplex. Now she wants to go to the live preformance next year. That's going to hurt. We never, ever buy the cheap tickets.

I never knew there was a sing-a-long version. I'll pass that on to the wife. Daughter would love it.

sansei Guest

Red face Re: Mama Mia

hi this is sansei and to share what my thought's are,when i see this preview of mama mia and hear the song of mama mia and dancing queen,im not able to forget both of these song's is it's in my mind daily,may anyone have any thought's on how to get rid of this since i see the preivews of mama mia on tv.i'd truly appreciate your thought's very much,please?

Well thank's for your time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast