Hawaii Has The Second Slowest Internet Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Has The Second Slowest Internet Speeds

This is one big issue I have with living in Hawaii considering I often travel to Europe and witness how lightning fast their connections are AT A LOWER PRICE. For example, in Europe you can get a 40Mbps (yes, that says 40) connection for $30/month.

WE ARE UNDERSERVED AND OVERPAYING when it comes to Internet connection. There is no reason for it other than our population's lack of demand and technology illiteracy.

It should be easy to develop an awesome network in Hawaii. I would support a measure from the State to subsidize the development of a speedy infrastructure. Being an island far far away from everyone else it is important to our future that we are well connected.

Comment

We overpay everything -- even worse when you live on an island that is neither called Oahu nor Maui -- because many things have to be shipped over. I'm sure developing a new infrastructure is going to be expensive because the equipment we need may have to be brought from oversea.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        We overpay everything -- even worse when you live on an island that is neither called Oahu nor Maui -- because many things have to be shipped over. I'm sure developing a new infrastructure is going to be expensive because the equipment we need may have to be brought from oversea.
        That's why I think Lingle should use the "technology fund" for this as well.

Comment

It's not slow, it's just on "Island Time"
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Has anyone tried the HT 11Mbps plan? Does it hold up to its promise? Their current offer is decent and am considering giving it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
              Has anyone tried the HT 11Mbps plan? Does it hold up to its promise? Their current offer is decent and am considering giving it a try.
              Is that the next bump up from their standard DSL service? If so, yes, I got that about 6 months ago. It might show up as faster in a speed test but I don't notice any difference.

Comment

It certainly does hold up to its promise. But the thing holding me back from using it completely was the POS computer I just got rid of. I just got a brand
                spanking new computer running Vista. Whenever I go any webpage it loads instantly. I usually average about 7Mbps speed wise.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                  It certainly does hold up to its promise. But the thing holding me back from using it completely was the POS computer I just got rid of. I just got a brand
                  spanking new computer running Vista. Whenever I go any webpage it loads instantly. I usually average about 7Mbps speed wise.
                  Vista actually slows me down. Wait till they fix all the problems and come out with Vista "version 2" that they are calling "Windows 7".....I tried the beta version and it's a lot faster than Vista. They will release the final retail version in December.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Is that the next bump up from their standard DSL service? If so, yes, I got that about 6 months ago. It might show up as faster in a speed test but I don't notice any difference.
                    It's actually two steps up from their standard DSL. The speeds they offer is 3, 7 and 11.

Comment

In some ways I'm lucky to be somewhat of a fossil in my own time...

I'm just thankful for a working computer, never in that big of a rush and not a gamer. So I don't need the speediest connection.
                      Just being reliable is important to me.

Of course, I wouldn't turn down faster for cheaper. HaHa!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        In some ways I'm lucky to be somewhat of a fossil in my own time...

I'm just thankful for a working computer, never in that big of a rush and not a gamer. So I don't need the speediest connection.
                        Just being reliable is important to me.

Of course, I wouldn't turn down faster for cheaper. HaHa!
                        Yes, it certainly depends what your needs are. For example, I could do without cable service because I hardly watch TV but on the other hand I live on the Internet so that is really important to me.

Comment

It's actually two steps up from their standard DSL. The speeds they offer is 3, 7 and 11.
                          Aha! Thanx. I have 7.

Comment

Vista actually slows me down. Wait till they fix all the problems and come out with Vista "version 2" that they are calling "Windows 7".....I tried the beta version and it's a lot faster than Vista. They will release the final retail version in December.
                            Actually Vista is not half bad. Especially after I did some tweaking out of the box. It is light years faster than the POS that I just gave to my brother. I tried
                            running Vista on that and it ran like a slug. But on this new computer which I bought for 435.00 it runs like a charm.

Back to the topic at hand, the 11 Mbps service seems more consistent than the ATM based 7Mbps service I had before.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

That's why I think Lingle should use the "technology fund" for this as well.
                              I thought the technology fund is about alternative energy to wean off from oil dependency.

Or better yet, to hire hunters to kill the Petel so we can build a better, stronger TV digital relay transmitter back on Haleakala. A poignant way for our government to give the finger to TV subscription providers.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I talked to Hawaiian Telcom a few days ago and was considering switching to their internet since their offer was 11Mbps for the price of 3Mbps. Well, my intentions were shattered when I found out that the lines to my house only supports 1.5Mbps. How ancient!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X