Now that Oahu has three Apple Stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that Oahu has three Apple Stores

In my opinion this will be over kill for Apple in the islands! Personally, and I'm a Mac user myself too. But is there enough Mac users on Oahu to justify having three stores, and on top of it all three are within a 10 mile radius of one another....what's the purpose?

Plus, before the first Apple Store arrived on our shores, I use to frequent either "Mac made Easy", or "MacMouse", for my Mac needs. I would think it would be hard for these independent Mac people/businesses to now survive with Apple Stores now in their neck of the woods?

Wow, it has come to my attention that "Mac made Easy", has opened a shop in Hilo! That's perfect for the time being! I wonder if they closed their Oahu operation, and just moved here? Or if they now have twos stores....which wouldn't seem practical to me? Can anybody tell me if either "MacMouse", or "Mac Made Easy" are still in business on Oahu?

Re: Now that Oahu has three Apple Stores

I'm thinking the three different locations serve different demographics. Waikiki is heavy on the tourists. They'll be fine.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

You have to remember that Apple is not just Macs anymore. There's iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV (though you can find some of those at other places as well).

You bring up a good point, though, about independent stores--can they survive? As far as I know, MacMouse and Mac Made Easy are still around. I think Mac Made Easy moved from Manoa to Kailua, and MacMouse is still on South Street. Since you mentioned that Mac Made Easy is now in Hilo, that means they're expanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
        You have to remember that Apple is not just Macs anymore. There's iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV (though you can find some of those at other places as well).

You bring up a good point, though, about independent stores--can they survive? As far as I know, MacMouse and Mac Made Easy are still around. I think Mac Made Easy moved from Manoa to Kailua, and MacMouse is still on South Street. Since you mentioned that Mac Made Easy is now in Hilo, that means they're expanding.
        but are you sure they, "Mac Made Easy" are still on Oahu? I just can't see either of these two companies expanding because of the slow economy right now. To me that would be suicide. Yet it could be savvy business move, who knows for sure?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          I'm thinking the three different locations serve different demographics. Waikiki is heavy on the tourists. They'll be fine.
          TOURIST!?@!#!?@?? What kind of a "nut case" comes to Hawaii to buy from an Apple store? To me it would be more practical to buy your Mac & Mac supplies from stores near one's home. Even with that being so, Ala Moana Store & Kahala store makes no sense whatsoever! Just to damn close to one another to benefit Apple. But drop an Apple store in Lahaina, or Hilo and then you're talking smart business in my opinion.
          Last edited by Beachboy; December 7, 2008, 09:02 AM. Reason: forgot to write something

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
            TOURIST!?@!#!?@?? What kind of a "nut case" comes to Hawaii to buy from an Apple store? To me it would be more practical to buy your Mac & Mac supplies from stores near one's home. Even with that being so, Ala Moana Store & Kahala store makes no sense whatsoever! Just to damn close to one another to benefit Apple. But drop an Apple store in Lahaina, or Hilo and then you're talking smart business in my opinion.
            Conversely, what local goes shopping in Waikiki?

And why are you concerned about how someone else (apple) is spending their money?
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

People, including tourists, are dependent on their computers now. They actually bring their laptops on vacation. Really! In Waikiki they have access to the Genius Bar should they have computer problems and one-to-one training should, ummm, it be too rainy to go to the beach! I wonder how Apple's product prices compare to the prices in Japan. Possibly that segment of our depressed tourism is a target demographic. Now that I think about it, I'm curious how many tourists sit outside the store with their laptops using Apple's wifi!

I, too, questioned opening the Kahala Store but why do you think the AMC store was a bad business decision? It's a very high performing store, last I heard. Sorry, I don't have any cites.

Every time I've been in the AMC store I felt like I was in a sardine can. Packed! I was at AMC last week and while the center, itself, wasn't very busy the Apple Store certainly was! I've seen the Kahala store busy but not the same, claustrophobic conditions as AMC. I'm sure Apple thoroughly researched their choices. Only time will tell if they made the right choices esp. considering our economy, while on a downward spiral during the construction of the Waikiki store, completely tanked after the store opened.

MacMouse is a former office neighbor of mine (I moved...not MacMouse!). Rolf always stated he welcomed the competition. When Mac Made Easy moved from town to Kailua I was curious if that was based on the Apple Store opening.

Comment

TOURIST!?@!#!?@?? What kind of a "nut case" comes to Hawaii to buy from an Apple store?
                Ummm, ones with a thick foreign accent? With the weak dollar right now, that may be very attractive. Also some countries may have import restrictions that make buying them at home more expensive than here.

I just can't see either of these two companies expanding because of the slow economy right now. To me that would be suicide. Yet it could be savvy business move, who knows for sure?
                It all depends on what they see happening in their market segment. Some business do very well in a down economy. Like car repair shops as people would rather fix than buy new. Maybe the same thing going on with computers. They've become necessities for many people.

I get the sense that Apple's popularity has picked up and move from just the geeks and creative types to more mainstream. If so, then more stores are needed to support a bigger user base.

Comment

they should've made an apple store in the pearlridge area for us on the leeward side - it's rare that i venture to AMC or kahala mall and even more rare that i would go to waikiki. i bought my iMac from AMC back in May, mostly because i just kinda wanted the Apple Store experience! But, in September, i bought my macbook from Best Buy in Aiea ...
                  I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    Conversely, what local goes shopping in Waikiki?
                    Rich showoffs.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

TOURIST!?@!#!?@?? What kind of a "nut case" comes to Hawaii to buy from an Apple store?
                      The same kind who comes here to buy from all the other designer brand-name stores in Waikiki: People who come from places where the same stuff is much more expensive. A student of mine just came back from a shopping trip to Nevada: she brought back mostly stuff you can get here, but she spent a lot less money. I know people who live in places like Indonesia and American Samoa who, when they come home on furlough, spend enormous amounts of money at Borders: They just can't get the books they want at reasonable prices in those places.

To me it would be more practical to buy your Mac & Mac supplies from stores near one's home. Even with that being so, Ala Moana Store & Kahala store makes no sense whatsoever! Just to damn close to one another to benefit Apple. But drop an Apple store in Lahaina, or Hilo and then you're talking smart business in my opinion.
                      When the market is large enough, as it in in populous areas such as urban Honolulu, it makes perfect sense to have an Ala Moana store and a Kahala Mall store. How do McDonalds and Starbucks have as many stores as they do? Lots of fast-food-eaters and coffee-drinkers in Honolulu. Not as many in Hilo, where there are just a couple of each.

I'm a high-school teacher, and almost every student I teach owns at least one Apple-made product, with iPods leading the way, of course. However, more than two-thirds of my students have their own laptop computers, and Apples GREATLY outnumber PCs.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                      X