51st Annual Grammy nominations - Hawaiian Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51st Annual Grammy nominations - Hawaiian Music

These were announced last Wednesday; I get the sense there's not so much buzz about them anymore, as it's feeling like deja vu each year, yeah?

But here they are - winner to be announced Feb. 8, 2009:

Best Hawaiian Music Album (Vocal or Instrumental.)

* 'Ikena
    Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho
    [Daniel Ho Creations]

* 'Aumakua
    Amy Hanaiali`i
    [Ua Records/Concord]

* Force Of Nature
    Led Kaapana & Mike Kaawa
    [Ledward Kaapana & Mike Kaawa]

* Hawaiian Slack Key Kings Masters Series Vol. II
    (Various Artists)

Chris Lau & Milton Lau, producers
    [Rhythm And Roots Records]

* The Spirit Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
    (Various Artists)

Daniel Ho, George Kahumoku, Jr., Dennis Kamakahi, Paul Konwiser & Wayne Wong, producers
    [Daniel Ho Creations]

Seattle connection on two of 'em - producer Wayne Wong lives up here, and Led & Mike's album was taped at The Triple Door nightclub, where a lot of Hawaiian acts play when touring. I was at the show that night, and a buddy of mine was the album's post engineer.

Re: 51st Annual Grammy nominations - Hawaiian Music

Yeah, I have to say it's tough to get excited about these now (although I'm not sure I ever really got excited about them). I'm going to give that Led album a listen, though!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Some very quick notes about each of them:
      * 'Ikena
      Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho
      Better than Tia's lullaby album of last year - she and Daniel share the vocal duties, and (aside from a couple instrumentals) all the songs are in Hawaiian, with lyrics by noted mele scholar Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman. "The SPAM Song" is a kick.
      * 'Aumakua
      Amy Hanaiali`i
      Big and bold, that's Amy, yet most of these songs are more on the mellow side. She's backed up by the lush sounds of Matt Catingub's orchestra and arrangements, and is now being managed and produced by Rosemary Clooney's old manager (who came out of retirement to work with Amy).
      * Force Of Nature
      Led Kaapana & Mike Kaawa
      The energy and fun of a live show with these two masters of their instruments. Recorded in Seattle rather than the Islands, however - probably because the financial backers live here (including one of the early founders of Starbucks).
      * Hawaiian Slack Key Kings Masters Series Vol. II
      (Various Artists)

Chris Lau & Milton Lau, producers
      IMO, the least-known and most under-appreciated disc in the list. Fantastic playing, a wide range of styles that fit under the "slack key" banner; performers you know (like Pali, Makana and Led) with ones you don't know, but should.
      * The Spirit Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
      (Various Artists)

Daniel Ho, George Kahumoku, Jr., Dennis Kamakahi, Paul Konwiser & Wayne Wong, producers
      Number 4 in the series of live tapes from the weekly shows on Maui. Volumes 1-3 have won the award the past three times ... but isn't four an unlucky number in several Asian cultures?

Comment

Aloha folks,

Is it okay if I jump in here? My feeling about all this is that it's time to branch out a bit and include more albums where "slack key" aren't in the title, but that said, I am so happy that Hawaiian music is being recognized nationally. Good luck to everybody nominated.
        'Alika

Comment

The Pre-telecast show is going to be streamed live tomorrow starting at 11.00am HST. The award for Hawaiian music will be shown during the Folk Music section.

Here's the link if ya want to catch it:

http://www.grammy.com/grammy_awards/GRAMMY_Live.aspx

Comment

Steel guitarist Bobby Ingano, recent 'collective' winner of 2 past grammys, will be attending the award ceremonies in LA this weekend, and hopefully will also be on stage recieving his portion of Grammy # 3 for the slack key legends CD.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Pali decided to go too and scope it all out live. He's got a piece on Hawaiian Slack Key Kings Master Series, Vol. 2 called Supey Aloha.

I don't think any of the "various artists" get anything though other than the recognition of being on the winning CD if a compilation gets the win...just the compilers/producers get the award.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                I don't think any of the "various artists" get anything though other than the recognition of being on the winning CD if a compilation gets the win...just the compilers/producers get the award.
                The VA's all get a seperate Grammy winner plaque later on, while the producer takes home the classic trophy.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ahhh...cool they get something too.

Comment

Pali decided to go too and scope it all out live. He's got a piece on Hawaiian Slack Key Kings Master Series, Vol. 2 called Supey Aloha.
                    Which just happens to be the album's track I've played most often on the air; it's a great tune!

Comment

I wonder how many times he's gonna nod out when there's a lull in the activity. He's in a semi-permanent state of jet-lag-work-jams and the evil dust bunnies constantly stalk him...

I've heard them...they plot in the dark....

Comment

ALOOOOOOHA from chilly L.A.!!!!...

Thanks for the headsup Peshy and SUPER thanks Leo for playing the track!

I guess I'm paying for flying out so last minute. I was going to join the guys at the Grammy museum to perform, but my flight (which Sonny Lim was on too) was delayed by about 3 hours, so we got in close to midnight. d`oh!

Leo, I wrote "Supey Aloha" for my 2.5 year old dog.. he was an angel when it was bed time and when waking up in the morning, and a total happy psycho of a mutt the other 12 hours a day. He contracted a super rare form of cancer and had to be put down..

I decided to write something for him that represented his limitless energy and spunk, as a dedication to him. Ask any pet owner, animals become our children, and the amount of love and affection is the same-so this was my tribute to Supey (short for Superman).

Obviously, it'd be cool to be chosen, but I'd *really* LOVE to see Led and Mike take it or Amy. Led/Mike are such a talent and represent the best qualities of the good ole kanikapila, back-yard-jam days.... with hot guitar playing and vocals. Amy is a songstress and one of the best vocalists IMHO.

Anyhoo, gotta start getting ready... Aloha to all of you and looking forward to going home tomorrow!

A Hui Hou!

Comment

Hee...don't let the dust bunnies sneak up on you with that buzz saw in the middle of the Grammys!!

Last edited by Peshkwe; February 8, 2009, 06:41 AM. Reason: virtual keyboard slip

Comment

'Ikena
                            Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho
                            [Daniel Ho Creations]

Is the winner

But what's up with the band playing We n' de ya ho (aka Cherokee Morning song)?

Kanakas not da T'salagi Grammy peeps.

Comment

'Ikena... Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho... [Daniel Ho Creations]... Is the winner
                              Thanks for sharing that! Probably will be a lot of folks happy that the Grammy voters have finally moved beyond slack key.
                              As I recall, this is now Daniel Ho's fourth Hawaiian Grammy in the five years Hawaii has had a category, right?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X