• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Blagojevich

A chorus of calls to step down, or else
    Politicians threaten impeachment if governor stays on

By Ray Long | Chicago Tribune reporter
    December 9, 2008

SPRINGFIELD—Leading Republicans and Democrats today unleashed a hailstorm of calls for Gov. Rod Blagojevich to resign after his arrest on political corruption charges involving the U.S. Senate seat once held by President-elect Barack Obama.

The demands for the governor to step aside unfolded as other politicians suggested that legislation should be passed to allow for a special election to let voters choose Obama's replacement. It remained unclear, however, whether such a move would pass legal muster: state law holds that the governor has the sole power to fill vacancies in the U.S. Senate.
    Click here for a summary of televised news coverage.
    Last edited by TuNnL; December 9, 2008, 12:58 PM. Reason: proper linkage

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Feds Indict Illinois Governor

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    It remained unclear, however, whether such a move would pass legal muster: state law holds that the governor has the sole power to fill vacancies in the U.S. Senate.
    That is precisely the reason why the Illinois state legislature is now in the process of passing a new law calling for a special election to fill Obama's seat, seeing as how Gov. Blagojevich no longer has the public trust to carry out the appointment.

I heard some political commentators express concern that the disgraced governor might try to rush appoint someone before he is impeached and/or a new law is passed. I don't think that will happen. Even if Blagojevich is able to sneak an appointment through, he clearly won't be able to derive any personal favors/money at this point. And besides, it would only make the feds ask for a harsher sentence come trial time. Blagojevich has been caught with the smoking gun of corruption with all those damaging statements on tape. If you ask me, he's better off being cooperative from this moment forward until he's eventually forced to step down from office.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

According to ABC news tonite - the Illinois Secy. of State has to certify any appointment (not gonna happen) and the Senate has the privilege of refusing to seat any appointment. So, even if he does try to push something through - others have the final say.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It is now coming to light that one of the five candidates who Gov. Blagojevich was considering for appointment to the US Senate as part of this "pay to play" scandal is none other than Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Conduc...6431739&page=1

Even if Jackson is able to escape prosecution, the damage is already done to his reputation. At the very least, it is an embarrassment to him and puts a damper on his rising-star status in politics.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Stupid Crook need Whack Whacks!!
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Conduc...6431739&page=1

Even if Jackson is able to escape prosecution, the damage is already done to his reputation. At the very least, it is an embarrassment to him and puts a damper on his rising-star status in politics.
            I agree. This could be a major turning point in Rep. Jackson’s career. His father’s comment regarding “cutting Barack Obama’s nuts off” clearly shocked the nation, but Jesse Jackson Jr. managed to save face by quickly condemning the elder Jackson’s candid remarks.

Now, less then a few months later, one of his own associates has been allegedly caught with his or hand in the cookie jar to the tune of $1 million. IMHO, this individual will not escape criminal prosecution in this politically charged environment.

Let the denials begin...

U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. is “Senate Candidate 5,” whom Gov. Blagojevich was considering appointing as Barack Obama’s replacement in the U.S. Senate under the belief the governor would get at least $1 million in campaign contributions, his attorney said Wednesday.

But Jackson never offered, nor authorized anyone to offer, money or favors in exchange for the seat, said his attorney James Montgomery. Jackson doesn’t know the identity of “Individual D,” the person purported to make the pay-to-play deal on Jackson’s behalf, he said.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

I was born and raised in Illinois and am embarrassed by reading all of the chicanery going down in my home state, it is bad enough the former Illinois Governor, George Ryan, who preceded Blagojevich is in prison, he might be joining old George in the same prison cell. And it's not like switching parties helps the situation Ryan was Republican and Blagojevich is Democrat. Blagojevich claimed he was a reformer and was going to clean up Illinois politics yeah right!! I can't wait for his resignation to arrive!! I cannot see how he can survive staying in office, he will be booted out against his will if necessary.

I left Illinois in 1984 for Arizona only to have two governors there impeached, kicked out of office while I lived there as well. I have grown up watching crooked politicans my whole life I guess.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                I was born and raised in Illinois and am embarrassed by reading all of the chicanery going down in my home state, it is bad enough the former Illinois Governor, George Ryan, who preceded Blagojevich is in prison, he might be joining old George in the same prison cell. And it's not like switching parties helps the situation Ryan was Republican and Blagojevich is Democrat. Blagojevich claimed he was a reformer and was going to clean up Illinois politics yeah right!! I can't wait for his resignation to arrive!! I cannot see how he can survive staying in office, he will be booted out against his will if necessary.

I left Illinois in 1984 for Arizona only to have two governors there impeached, kicked out of office while I lived there as well. I have grown up watching crooked politicans my whole life I guess.

Aj

Gee, Aj, and here you are in Hawaii. What fine mess will you affect here? LOL! Some people don't have their live's missions so well laid (layed?) out!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Fortunately since leaving Arizona over a decade ago, local politics in Oregon and Hawaii have been better!

Aj

Comment

Check out the Craigslist ad for the vacant US Senate seat. Apparently there a ton of em posted.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Oh Happy, happy day!!! Blagojevich is a known hater of personnal choice, freedoms, and private property rights. I can't wait for HIS rights to get taken away in prison. How fitting. I going drink and toast to this just like he probably once did before then tables were turned.

Comment

Deal or No Deal.

Comment

I think it's time for Blagojevich to phone a friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                            Blagojevich claimed he was a reformer and was going to clean up Illinois politics yeah right!! I can't wait for his resignation to arrive!! I cannot see how he can survive staying in office, he will be booted out against his will if necessary.
                            At this point, that’s a pretty fair assessment, Aj. Today, President-elect Barack Obama called for Gov. Blagojevich to resign. Prosecutor Fitzgerald purports to have wiretap recordings, the likes of which appear quite damaging, so I can’t imagine what defense Blagojevich hopes to put forth, aside from the government taking his statements out of context.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I think it's time for Blagojevich to phone a friend!
                              He tried --- but O.J. didn't answer. He's with a different "cell" company now.

Comment

Working...
                              X