Bringing Out the Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing Out the Dogs

All right- Jason and I are going back to Dallas at the end of the month to pick up the dogs from his parents' and fly them out. Needless to say, I'm worried silly about all the things that could go wrong.

I've written to their vet and his dad has their vaccination certificates and two more originals should be on their way here. The quarantine already got a copy sent directly to them with their blood test results from Kansas State. They're on their flea/tick/heartworm meds. We've scheduled a wellness check for just before we leave to come back here, so it will be within 10 days of arrival. They're microchipped and all that's recorded along with their 2 shots. I'm just waiting for their vaccination certificates to get here so I can fill out the Dog Import Form, get it notorized, and mail it in with the $$ so it will be before 14 days of their arrival (Jan 9th).

We have to fly American, unfortunately. But they're going in the baggage, not cargo, which they said is different. And they've requested we have water bottles accessible to be refilled on the outside of the kennels, so that makes me feel a little better. And we're flying nonstop.

I think we have all the bases covered. I have copies of everything. Anybody have any suggestions? Tips? Warnings? Am I forgetting anything? I am so scared I forgot something and the quarantine is going to keep them anyway, even though they're authorized to come in to the state on the 7th and I've quadruple-checked it and have it in writing. Any reassuring stories?
    Last edited by surlygirly; December 12, 2008, 01:04 AM. Reason: vaccination, not health

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: Bringing Out the Dogs

sorry i don't have any reassuring stories as i'm sick to my stomach right now thinking of transporting our 3 dogs and 3 cats but it's just interisland. i feel for you! my problem is trying to get a hold of crates. they're so darn expensive to be used only one time. we did get some good deals on the cats' carriers from the humane society. only $10 donation per carrier. good luck!
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Once you are onboard, have the flight attendant tell the pilot that there are pets in luggage. Do not leave anything to chance (meaning, don't trust that the pilot will already have that information). The pilot's awareness of the pets will help insure that the temperature, etc. is correctly maintained.

Once we had an airline "loose" our pet. It disappeared for about 8 hours. Nobody would ever fess up to what happened. For a while during those 8 hours, the airline even denied that the pet had been handed over to them.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        Once we had an airline "loose" our pet. It disappeared for about 8 hours. Nobody would ever fess up to what happened. For a while during those 8 hours, the airline even denied that the pet had been handed over to them.
        Isn't that amazing? Same thing happened to us. We were flying Aloha (LAST TIME!) back from Kaua'i with Maggie. We never got on the plane until we saw her crate go up the baggage ramp. So we get home and it's the last
        flight in and was outgoing to Kahului next. We waited and waited and waited until everyone and all the other baggage had been picked up. This of course
        was alarming because animals go on last and come out first. So we went to the "(lack of) service desk" and they said that she was not on the plane, never put on and we would have to contact Lihue ourselves. So I said this is not
        true and we saw her go on the plane. Well they hemmed and hawed and made all kinds of proclamations that she was not on the plane. By then I'm fuming and my husband says to the woman "my wife is not happy, you will soon see this is not a good thing." So I looked at her and I said "see that door over there? You will now see me go through it and GET MY DOG!" She said you can't go through that door (the one that leads out to the tarmac) and I yelled "WATCH ME!!!!!!" all of a sudden she says "Oh, your dog is on board and the plane is leaving for Kahului, she'll stay there overnight."
        "The HELL SHE WILL!" I yelled at her.

This is me

So I said "You get my dog or I'm going out there myself and you cannot stop me. There is no way my poor dog is flying somewhere overnight with no food, no one who knows her (etc. etc. etc.)." So I went to the door and pushed it open and there coming over to me was my dog in her crate on a pallet...........No one said they were sorry, no one apologized. I even wrote to the head of customer service and never got an answer or acknowledgment of the situation.

Amati is right, make sure every possible avenue of information is followed up with and through. He's got a great point about telling the attendant that
        your dog is aboard. One can never be too diligent over one's loving family members.

I screwed up the quote function and had Amati at the beginning of my post but you can't tell from the way I did it. Sorry Amati!
        Last edited by helen; October 10, 2009, 05:34 PM. Reason: credit Amati

Comment

Okay, so not helping me feel any better about this! But we are flying on American and not inter-island. Maybe that will help some? I will definitely take your suggestion of telling the flight attendent there are animals on board. Good idea.

I talked to one lady that lived down the street from us, and she said she was really worried, but had no problems. I'm really glad you both found your pets! Maybe I can sneak a tracking device onto their collars....

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Well, TurtleGirl.....

How'd it turn out???????

I need to do it in a few years and can use your knowlege and experience!

Comment

just a small suggestion? advance planning is very good and makes a lot of sense, especially if you're moving to Hawaii. However, if you aren't coming for a couple of years - many things could change like new laws, reinstating the quarantine etc. I would suggest just keeping on top of the rules for animals but remaining very flexible. The experiences people had in 2008 may not be true in 2011 or whenever you're planning for.

if I recall correctly - SG never did get her dogs out here because they didn't stay very long. (and she was NOT happy about that!)
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I brought my cat and my dog from Britain to Hawaii, many years ago. When there was still four month quarantine.

The cat got fat and the dog wore his pads down to the raw, pacing. And they both smelled bad for weeks after leaving quarantine.

But they lived. They even traveled to France after that.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

The only thing I'd like to add is to be prepared for security officers who might have to open and inspect the pet's kennel. A family was moving back to the mainland with their two cats. They paid to be able to carry their cats with them instead of putting them with cargo. As you might guess, the cats escaped. They were heartbroken to have to leave without catching them. It took about two weeks and kind-hearted volunteers with traps and food (and lots of luck) to catch the cats and deliver them to the mainland.http://mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/32155.html
                  Last edited by Sharilyn; October 11, 2009, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                    The only thing I'd like to add is to be prepared for security officers who might have to open and inspect the pet's kennel. A family was moving back to the mainland with their two cats. They paid to be able to carry their cats with them instead of putting them with cargo. As you might guess, the cats escaped. They were heartbroken to have to leave without catching them. It took about two weeks and kind-hearted volunteers with traps and food (and lots of luck) to catch the cats and deliver them to the mainland.http://mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/32155.html
                    OMG - I remember that.........

Comment

Working...
                    X