Naming a Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming a Star

Going a bit off the track, but have any of you heard the radio commercials for the "Name a Star as a Christmas Present" scheme? This was "offered" about a decade ago by the INTERNATIONAL STAR REGISTRY. Now, they're back at it, again..

For a fee of $54.95, you can have a star named for the person of your choice, have it "registered," and present a "certificate" on Christmas morning to your receipient. What a SCAM!

I remember a guy who called himself the "Moonman" some thirty years ago. He got speaking "engagements" at lunch-time meetings for organizations like the Rotary Club. As part of his show, he'd sell "deeds" for a square foot of land on the moon for a buck each. Many in the audience willingly parted with a dollar as the price for his amusing fifteen-minute presentation.

But, $54.95 for a star????????

Re: Star Gazing

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    "Name a Star as a Christmas Present" scheme? This was "offered" about a decade ago by the INTERNATIONAL STAR REGISTRY. Now, they're back at it, again..

For a fee of $54.95, you can have a star named for the person of your choice, have it "registered," and present a "certificate" on Christmas morning to your receipient. What a SCAM!
    Twenty six years ago...
    I had star named after my daughter. Her B-Day is 12/06/82.
    SO THERE'S REALLY NO STAR IN HER NAME!!!
    Oh well, I think it was only $15 bucks then. HaHa!
    Now if I could just find that star chart with the arrow pointing at hers. ?
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      I remember a guy who called himself the "Moonman" some thirty years ago. He got speaking "engagements" at lunch-time meetings for organizations like the Rotary Club. As part of his show, he'd sell "deeds" for a square foot of land on the moon for a buck each. Many in the audience willingly parted with a dollar as the price for his amusing fifteen-minute presentation.
      Yeah, and all the deeds were for the same square foot! I think I have one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        Yeah, and all the deeds were for the same square foot! I think I have one of those.
        It might become a "collector's item."

Comment

The star HD-80869 shall now be known as AlohaKine, since nobody cared to name it yet,

Comment

There is someone that actually does own a lunar object as a private citizen. It's a non-operational soviet lunar rover that roved the moon in the early 1970's before braking down.

"Ownership of Lunokhod 2 and the Luna 21 lander was sold by the Lavochkin Association for $68500 in December 1993 at a Sotheby's auction in New York[8] (although the catalog incorrectly lists lot 68A as Luna 17/Lunokhod 1)[9]. The buyer was computer gaming entrepreneur and astronaut's son Richard Garriott (also known as Lord British), who stated in a 2001 interview with Computer Games Magazine's Cindy Yans that:

I purchased Lunakod 21 [sic] from the Russians. I am now the world's only private owner of an object on a foreign celestial body. Though there are international treaties that say, no government shall lay claim to geography off planet earth, I am not a government. Summarily, I claim the moon in the name of Lord British![10].
            Richard Garriott has more recently confirmed that he is the owner of Lunokhod 2 [11] [12]."

Comment

Working...
            X