Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stairway to Heaven

Default Re: Stairway to Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Beware: some of the residents of Haiku are extremely hostile toward hikers attempting Haiku Stairs. In their irritation over these hikers utilizing Puuoni Pl, they have managed to get hikers' cars cited or towed."
    How do they do that if the car is parked legally? (Without doing something illegal themselves?)

Quote Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
    I haven't been since the seventies.
    I've been up it 2-3 times when it was legal to do so. One hell of a hike. Both in terms of scenery and what it will do to you if you try an hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    What's really needed to make a difference is litigation reform.
    I agree.

The Stairway is probably one of the safest hikes on the islands. Where else do you find a trail with handrails?

Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Sorry, SG - if you go ahead & take this hike (just because you've seen other lawbreakers doing it) & get injured, or have your car towed for illegal parking or if you get cited for trespassing, I will not have any sympathy for you. I will not want to listen to your whining because you got caught.

Why is it that so many think that rules and laws just do not apply to them if they want something? I've just never understood that.
    I'm just curious where exactly you got the idea that I was coming here to whine about anything. All I wanted to know was (hypothetically) where one could find the trail head if one did not want to park their car in the neighborhood so as not to be an A-hole. We were all having a lovely discussion about the Haiku Stairs until this comment was made to me, for absolutely no reason and derailed our conversation by turning it into a legal battle. No one was asked for legal advice. No one was asked if the trail was safe, or if a ticket was justified if someone was caught tresspassing, or if we could please turn this thread into a teadious discussion about politics and American laywers and stupid kids breaking the law and getting what they deserved.

I didn't ask you for sympathy. I don't know who you are, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to!

Now- putting aside lawyers and all that crap (because who needs a stupid lawyer when I just want to know something for a hypothetical paper I'm writing, like for a class!!!!), I STILL have not had my question answered.

this thread piqued my interest so with a little research i found this linkhttp://www.friendsofhaikustairs.org/FHS%20News.html
    it seems that the best chance of getting to hike these stairs is to join thevolunteers that are allowed to care for the area. it sounds like it is really a club that is allowed to go there in the guise of maintenance and non native species control. it s level of activity has slowed a bit, at least the website was updated in 2008. also google earth has a good view of it especially if you change the perspective from birdeye to a low angle.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

If a trip is planned, I'm game. I went up once, a few months before the hullabaloo that resulted in guards being posted.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

This morning I saw a yellow HFD helicopter circling the stairs and the top
    ride where the old structure is. This was about 7 am. I went to water aerobics
    and in the parking lot were several HFD trucks from Kaneohe and then the
    helicopter in the playing field. The helicopter took off and we watched it from the pool. Two baskets came down with hikers. The poor fireman rescue teams had been working since 7 p.m. last night, they all finally left about 9:00.

What I want to know (and there will be no answer) is what IDIOTS go up and
    hike in the downpours and rain that were on our side by the stairs ALL MORNING AND ALL the NIGHT BEFORE?????? These are the type of idiots that need to be charged for the rescue and have big guilt for endangering our
    fireman over their stupidity. Bravo to our HFD for their commitment and
    bravery in these time. Mahalo to all of them!

If these were the same folks mentioned on the news last nite - they actually were hiking the other side of the mountains & got stuck. Since no one was hurt, Fire Dept. advised them to just stay where they were & they would be rescued this morning. Maybe it was just easier to bring them down on your side of the mountain? They were apparently on the trail that does lead to the stairs.

I totally agree with you though - they should have used better judgement when they made their initial hiking plans.

If these were the same folks mentioned on the news last nite - they actually were hiking the other side of the mountains & got stuck. Since no one was hurt, Fire Dept. advised them to just stay where they were & they would be rescued this morning. Maybe it was just easier to bring them down on your side of the mountain? They were apparently on the trail that does lead to the stairs.

I totally agree with you though - they should have used better judgement when they made their initial hiking plans.
    Thanks for the update - I don't watch the news. It probably was them. It is ridiculous to go out hiking in conditions predicted to be rainy and storm like.
    It was a beautiful clear morning for their work today. I hope they have an
    uneventful evening, firemen are heroes!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...localnewsfront

Here's da scoops of the morning rescue. Bravo HFD!!!!!!!

If you call DLNR they will CITE and ARREST people found on the kaiku stairs

http://www.friendsofhaikustairs.org/

IDIOTS IDIOTS IDIOTS!!! I love how they were not aware of weather conditions. IDIOTS IDIOTS!!!!!!! Criminy our side was socked in all night and into the morning with torrents of downpours all day. Yet again IDIOTS endangering our HFD. And no, I'm not related to a fireman just a concerned
    citizen who thanks them for their duty and wishes these people would have
    to pay for this type of rescue. But they have us tax payers doing it with no consequence to them.

Quote Originally Posted by islandguy View Post
    If you call DLNR they will CITE and ARREST people found on the kaiku stairs

http://www.friendsofhaikustairs.org/
    Believe me, I would/will when I see people. Thanks for thin link too!
    A very happy and healthy new year to you and yours!

Did anyone notice from the Advertiser's story that all 3 were military, and that the stairs are apparently safe enough that 2 women navigated their way down in the nighttime? Really dark nighttime, too, no moon or anything. I think it was even raining that night. And two women made it down safely. Hmmmm.... just something to ponder....
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Ponder? What are we pondering? I'm not pondering about anything except that they were stupid for not checking the weather.

Lightbulb Re: Stairway to Heaven

Funny story: about four or five years ago, A popular college deejay was walking with a friend on the road in the residential neighborhood leading to the Haiku Stairs. It was obvious with their hiking shoes and water bottles why they were there. Perched in her kitchen, a Kāne‘ohe resident aimed her camcorder at the guy. Despite wearing dark glasses on an overcast day, the university student spotted the woman taking video of him from behind the kitchen drapes. He stopped, turned around and removed his cargo shorts and underwear, mooning the woman on tape.

The tape was eventually shown to a well-publicized Kāne‘ohe Neighborhood Board meeting where media were present. Lucky for him, none of t.v. crews approached the woman about selling her tape to the news!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Sorry, maybe I could have been clearer. I was only trying to point out, with evidence, that the stairs are safer than they get credit for.

or, those 2 women were:

1) incredibly stupid for making their descent in the rain & dark when the HFD had already suggested that they would be better off staying where they were and waiting for morning.

2) incredibly ignorant about hiking in Hawaii and how fast conditions can change.

3) incredibly fortunate that they did not get injured or cause rescuers to be injured.

or, those 2 women were:

1) incredibly stupid for making their descent in the rain & dark when the HFD had already suggested that they would be better off staying where they were and waiting for morning.

2) incredibly ignorant about hiking in Hawaii and how fast conditions can change.

3) incredibly fortunate that they did not get injured or cause rescuers to be injured.
    Sheesh!! Hawaii hikers just can't win!!

Save yourself - people get generally annoyed, and criticize...

Wait for assistance - people get annoyed about how their tax dollars are spent on the rescue, yet you'll be criticized anyway.

It's lose-lose for hikers anymore. Hawaii hikers, do yourselves a favor - stay home and veg out with your tvs and a pint of Haagen Daaz

Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Sorry, maybe I could have been clearer. I was only trying to point out, with evidence, that the stairs are safer than they get credit for.
    Oh, and here I read it as saying they were somehow better then the guy. I think the women are very lucky they didn't fall off the cliff getting to the stairs.

As for the stairs, I'd be hard pressed to think of any hike that's as safe if not safer, unless maybe it's the Diamond Head tourist hike. I mean, how many trails come with hand rails?

Thumbs down Re: Stairway to Heaven

Oh, yeah....
    Last edited by Kaonohi; September 1st, 2009 at 06:02 PM.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

To answer your original hypothetical question, go to either Google Maps or Google Earth and find 21º 24' 15" N, 157º 49' 13" W.

Off Kahuhipa St., you will see Lolii St. and Puuoni Place near H-3, behind Hawaii State Hospital. The satellite view will show you several cleared areas which lead to the old LORAN road which parallels H-3. The trailhead is just off the LORAN road.

Disclaimer: I am not recommending anyone enter this restricted area without proper authorization.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Thanks for the help! This was on my list of things to do before we moved, but never got to it. Don't know if I will now. Of course, by the time we get back to visit, they may have opened the stairs- who knows? It'll be fun to look on Google Earth though.

Can't think of anything creative this time

I wish they would just tear it all down.
    To many people disrupting those living there.
    Trash all over the place.
    tourist just go into peoples yards to use the hose to wash off.
    If someone does take it over, they will not be able to control who pays and who doesn't.
    To many ways to get to the trail.
    If someone takes it over, at least we'll know who to sue.
    Same with the koko head trail.
    Even with the lock down, there are still people on both trails.
    It's making the cops look stupid.
    As if they needed any help with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12