Stairway to Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stairway to Heaven

If these were the same folks mentioned on the news last nite - they actually were hiking the other side of the mountains & got stuck. Since no one was hurt, Fire Dept. advised them to just stay where they were & they would be rescued this morning. Maybe it was just easier to bring them down on your side of the mountain? They were apparently on the trail that does lead to the stairs.

I totally agree with you though - they should have used better judgement when they made their initial hiking plans.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      If these were the same folks mentioned on the news last nite - they actually were hiking the other side of the mountains & got stuck. Since no one was hurt, Fire Dept. advised them to just stay where they were & they would be rescued this morning. Maybe it was just easier to bring them down on your side of the mountain? They were apparently on the trail that does lead to the stairs.

I totally agree with you though - they should have used better judgement when they made their initial hiking plans.
      Thanks for the update - I don't watch the news. It probably was them. It is ridiculous to go out hiking in conditions predicted to be rainy and storm like.
      It was a beautiful clear morning for their work today. I hope they have an
      uneventful evening, firemen are heroes!

Comment

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...localnewsfront

Here's da scoops of the morning rescue. Bravo HFD!!!!!!!

Comment

If you call DLNR they will CITE and ARREST people found on the kaiku stairs

http://www.friendsofhaikustairs.org/
          http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

IDIOTS IDIOTS IDIOTS!!! I love how they were not aware of weather conditions. IDIOTS IDIOTS!!!!!!! Criminy our side was socked in all night and into the morning with torrents of downpours all day. Yet again IDIOTS endangering our HFD. And no, I'm not related to a fireman just a concerned
            citizen who thanks them for their duty and wishes these people would have
            to pay for this type of rescue. But they have us tax payers doing it with no consequence to them.

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
              If you call DLNR they will CITE and ARREST people found on the kaiku stairs

http://www.friendsofhaikustairs.org/
              Believe me, I would/will when I see people. Thanks for thin link too!
              A very happy and healthy new year to you and yours!

Comment

Did anyone notice from the Advertiser's story that all 3 were military, and that the stairs are apparently safe enough that 2 women navigated their way down in the nighttime? Really dark nighttime, too, no moon or anything. I think it was even raining that night. And two women made it down safely. Hmmmm.... just something to ponder....
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Ponder? What are we pondering? I'm not pondering about anything except that they were stupid for not checking the weather.

Comment

Funny story: about four or five years ago, A popular college deejay was walking with a friend on the road in the residential neighborhood leading to the Haiku Stairs. It was obvious with their hiking shoes and water bottles why they were there. Perched in her kitchen, a Kāne‘ohe resident aimed her camcorder at the guy. Despite wearing dark glasses on an overcast day, the university student spotted the woman taking video of him from behind the kitchen drapes. He stopped, turned around and removed his cargo shorts and underwear, mooning the woman on tape.

The tape was eventually shown to a well-publicized Kāne‘ohe Neighborhood Board meeting where media were present. Lucky for him, none of t.v. crews approached the woman about selling her tape to the news!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Sorry, maybe I could have been clearer. I was only trying to point out, with evidence, that the stairs are safer than they get credit for.

Comment

or, those 2 women were:

1) incredibly stupid for making their descent in the rain & dark when the HFD had already suggested that they would be better off staying where they were and waiting for morning.

2) incredibly ignorant about hiking in Hawaii and how fast conditions can change.

3) incredibly fortunate that they did not get injured or cause rescuers to be injured.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          or, those 2 women were:

1) incredibly stupid for making their descent in the rain & dark when the HFD had already suggested that they would be better off staying where they were and waiting for morning.

2) incredibly ignorant about hiking in Hawaii and how fast conditions can change.

3) incredibly fortunate that they did not get injured or cause rescuers to be injured.
                          Sheesh!! Hawaii hikers just can't win!!

Save yourself - people get generally annoyed, and criticize...

Wait for assistance - people get annoyed about how their tax dollars are spent on the rescue, yet you'll be criticized anyway.

It's lose-lose for hikers anymore. Hawaii hikers, do yourselves a favor - stay home and veg out with your tvs and a pint of Haagen Daaz

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            Sorry, maybe I could have been clearer. I was only trying to point out, with evidence, that the stairs are safer than they get credit for.
                            Oh, and here I read it as saying they were somehow better then the guy. I think the women are very lucky they didn't fall off the cliff getting to the stairs.

As for the stairs, I'd be hard pressed to think of any hike that's as safe if not safer, unless maybe it's the Diamond Head tourist hike. I mean, how many trails come with hand rails?

Comment

Oh, yeah....
                              Last edited by Kaonohi; September 1, 2009, 06:02 PM.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

To answer your original hypothetical question, go to either Google Maps or Google Earth and find 21º 24' 15" N, 157º 49' 13" W.

Off Kahuhipa St., you will see Lolii St. and Puuoni Place near H-3, behind Hawaii State Hospital. The satellite view will show you several cleared areas which lead to the old LORAN road which parallels H-3. The trailhead is just off the LORAN road.

Disclaimer: I am not recommending anyone enter this restricted area without proper authorization.
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X