Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

June Jones Settles Debt with UH or Did He?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Jones Settles Debt with UH or Did He?

Source: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../812200360/-1/

What's your take?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

win win, chicken din

Seems like everybody is happy with the long over due deal.
    No bridges are burnt for anybody, and hopefully JJ will one day return to the UH in some meaningful capacity.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: June Jones Settles Debt with UH ... or Did He?

Originally posted by Random View Post
      What's your take?
      Ian Lind makes some very interesting observations on his blog today.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Ian Lind makes some very interesting observations on his blog today.
        "" indeed.

Comment

At worst, blatantly illegal. At best, shady and cynical.

Too bad that Coach Jones has decided to close out his association with UH under a cloud of suspicion.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: win win, chicken din

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            No bridges are burnt for anybody, and hopefully JJ will one day return to the UH in some meaningful capacity.
            Jones has mentioned returning to Hawaii before this article. It astounds me that he thinks he can come back in five, 10, or even 20 years and live quietly-- let alone resume being a public figure.

It's like Scott Waddle starting a career as a motivational speaker or thinking that he has some future with the Navy-- neither one of these guys seems to understand that much of the controversy swirling around them is rooted in their own behavior.

Maybe I should be more cynical. Maybe people's memories really are that short.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              At worst, blatantly illegal.
              That’s the conclusion Lind comes to, but this is one of those rare occasions where I think he is reaching. If the June Jones Foundation™ had given the money to UH, UH Athletics, UH Football, etc., then I think you could say there are some potential legal improprieties with that deal. But the foundation donated it to a scholarship fund, which you would hope would be within the charter of any foundation interested in education.

I think the key to Lind’s argument lies in whether the donation hinged on resolution of the contractual dispute between Jones and UH. And as such, there is no way to prove that, without a copy of the agreement in front of you. Jones could always go back and say, “hey, my foundation was gonna donate the money either way. It’s part of our mission.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                That’s the conclusion Lind comes to, but this is one of those rare occasions where I think he is reaching. If the June Jones Foundation™ had given the money to UH, UH Athletics, UH Football, etc., then I think you could say there are some potential legal improprieties with that deal. But the foundation donated it to a scholarship fund, which you would hope would be within the charter of any foundation interested in education.

I think the key to Lind’s argument lies in whether the donation hinged on resolution of the contractual dispute between Jones and UH. And as such, there is no way to prove that, without a copy of the agreement in front of you. Jones could always go back and say, “hey, my foundation was gonna donate the money either way. It’s part of our mission.”
                While it seems altruistic, the fact of the matter to me is that JJ bargained with scholarship money to get out of the contractual dispute. And it's only half of what he supposedly owe UH. I'd be more forgiving if he added another $200,000 to the UH's scholarship fund.

Comment

In other words, all non-profits are created equal?

Considering how there are too many stories of wasteful and/or unproductive non-profits out there, that would be a very glib argument to give in defense of JJ.

And you totally overlook the argument that Lind gave re: JJ's status as the chairman and board of director status of the charitable foundation that bears his name. You don't see the problem with JJ being an officer of a non-profit organization using donated funds as part of a settlement to terminate his personal contract with UH?

Oh, the naivete of it all!

Just because there is no "smoking gun" evidence makes it okay or ethical for charitable funds to be swapped in such a transaction?

Maybe no one will end up being prosecuted or arrested. That still doesn't mean that something illegal did not take place. And nothing you said made a difference in my previous conclusion: it is unfortunate that Jones has chosen to end his affiliation with UH by leaving a cloud of suspicion and doubt re: use of his foundation's charitable funds (i.e. other people's hard earned money that they thought were going to be used to help children with life-threatening conditions rather than settle JJ's contract buyout.)
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: June Jones Settles Debt with UH or Did He?

I give JJ the benfit of a doubt that he's acted in good faith all along.

This pointless bickering isn't going to benefit anybody, and will only suffice to ensure he'll choose to not return to UH in any capacity and thus everybody loses. No chicken dinner...

Comment

Re: June Jones Settles Debt with UH or Did He?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      I give JJ the benfit of a doubt that he's acted in good faith all along.

This pointless bickering isn't going to benefit anybody, and will only suffice to ensure he'll choose to not return to UH in any capacity and thus everybody loses. No chicken dinner...
                      You WANT JJ to return to UH?

There was a time when I felt that way earlier in the year, but now I'm not so sure.

Comment

In other words, all non-profits are created equal? Considering how there are too many stories of wasteful and/or unproductive non-profits out there, that would be a very glib argument to give in defense of JJ.
                        Nevertheless, it is a legitimate argument, and one that I put forth to balance what so far has been a very one-sided debate.

And you totally overlook the argument that Lind gave re: JJ's status as the chairman and board of director status of the charitable foundation that bears his name. You don't see the problem with JJ being an officer of a non-profit organization using donated funds as part of a settlement to terminate his personal contract with UH?
                        As I said previously, the key is whether the donation hinged on resolution of the contractual dispute between Jones and UH. And as such, there is no way to prove that, without a copy of the agreement in front of you. Jones could always go back and say, “hey, my foundation was gonna donate the money either way. It’s part of our mission.” You, on the other hand, are making this assumption.

Perhaps you failed to understand this the first time I posted this, so let me be more clear: The Honolulu Advertiser expressly makes a point of saying they tried to reach June Jones for comment and were unable to. Add to that the fact that all we have is an Advertiser writer’s interpretation of the settlement (and not the actual settlement document) and this is all basically hearsay. Don’t believe everything you read in a regurgitated press release, Frankie.

nothing you said made a difference in my previous conclusion: it is unfortunate that Jones has chosen to end his affiliation with UH by leaving a cloud of suspicion and doubt re: use of his foundation's charitable funds
                        And I wasn’t trying to “make a difference” as far as contesting your “previous conclusion.” Clearly, I think most HT readers realize I only took issue with Ian Lind’s “accusation of legal improprieties,” which IMHO, is premature at this point.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Sure, why not?

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          You WANT JJ to return to UH?
                          I don't put any stock in this payment matter, and think it should be tossed off. I trust that he was made a gentlemans aggreement and was burned. I give high marks to anyone that takes a man or university at their word, no matter if it wasn't the smartest thing for him to do in the world we live in today. As he often stated, his time in Hawaii wasn't about the $.
                          JJ was great for the team, even if imperfect at times, and should Coach Mack at some point not be able to continue, for now un-foreseen reasons, I'd love to see Jones back in the fold. If not as coach, then whatever capacity he'd enjoy.
                          He's not contraversial, it's the 'we need some news' media that search for a speck of dirt that stir up un-needed BS.
                          We blew it with JJ. He would have been ours til retirement, but instead he was virtually chased out, and the UH, the fans, the State, and college football suffer from that now.

Comment

Former UH football coach June Jones arrested for alleged DUI | Honolulu Star-Advertiser (staradvertiser.com)

He has to take an Uber from now on.

Comment

Working...
                            X