Bad behaviour at Aloha Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad behaviour at Aloha Stadium

What is with those assigned to keep things safe and in control at Aloha Stm.?

A comprehensive letter concerning these disturbing matters, the latest in many years worth of propting, was seen today - www.starbulletin.com/editorials/letters/20081221_Letters_to_the_Editor.html ie; Foul-mouthed jerks, by J.J. Amann, of Cincinnati

It is absolutely unacceptable that this happens to the slightest degree, and for a myriad of reasons.
    The stm. officials/security, the UH admin./coach, and HPD, need to be called out on the carpet and assailed to get this long long over-due and ignored issue completely resolved.
    It's one of many reasons I havn't for years and will never again attend any game. Going to jail or the hospital because of some pricks isn't on my agenda, I face enuf of that daily on the streets here.
    Visitors have no idea what to expect at a UH game, but don't come with the thot of drunken criminals assaulting/haranguing/harrassing/stalking them and certainly don't expect or accept it when it happens. But you can bet it's heard about, and get's all around the country. Great PR!

What's it going to take, a horrendous casualty to get the attention of those who should have had this nipped in the bud decades ago?
    In fact, it's probably already happened, didn't get the press coverage, and not dealt with.
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 22, 2008, 03:21 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Bad behaviour at Aloha Stm./UH games continues

My father, who at the time was a lecturer at the University of Hawaii, had his jaw broken at a UH-BYU game by a drunken Hawaii fan who saw the game as locals vs. haoles. He started swinging at the closest haole, who, alas, was my father, even though my father was wearing UH colors. He was taken from the game by paramedics.

These things happen.

But then the stadium security refused to act, police simply ejected the drunk from the game without arrest, the prosecutor at the time (Marsland) refused to bring charges and lawyers declined to file civil suits as the perp had little in the way of assets.

These things shouldn't happen.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

There ya go!

Sorry to hear that..., I'll refrain from further comment...

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        My father, who at the time was a lecturer at the University of Hawaii, had his jaw broken at a UH-BYU game by a drunken Hawaii fan who saw the game as locals vs. haoles.
        Oh wow, that sucks, Buzz. I'm sorry your father had to experience that

My friend in California got mugged by 3 black youths. They ended up crushing one of his eye sockets. He worked hard to not dwell on the fact that they were black. I guess he managed to make his peace, since he's now teaching inner city youth.

On a side note, I remember back in high school when Pearl Ridge was full of punks. Then at some point they significantly stepped up security. They have that security kiosk with rows of camera monitors for everyone to see. I guess the thugs were bad for business. Makes me wonder where the punks hang out now.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          I remember back in high school when Pearl Ridge was full of punks. Then at some point they significantly stepped up security. They have that security kiosk with rows of camera monitors for everyone to see. I guess the thugs were bad for business. Makes me wonder where the punks hang out now.
          Right up the road at Waimalu Safeway®. Oops? Did I say that? Be warned and be aware this holiday season.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Bad behaviour at Aloha Stadium

Rotten behavior at Aloha Stadium by Hawaii fans is well-worn territory here on HawaiiThreads. It's why I'm rarely prompted to attend a home game. And I guess the state, HPD, and UH feel that alienating visitors is preferable to taking any reasonable action against abusive residents.

Couple this with the more and more frequently referenced stories of attacks on tourists going unanswered and underreported, and you have some additional reasons why our "number one industry" may be flagging. And I'd say we often deserve the reputation we're getting.

Comment

I knew the topic had been disc'd a while back, at least once, but was too lazy to search and felt that since nobody who can do anything about it still hasn't, that maybe we can come up with ways to force the subject.

Comment

I attended a game last year and happened to be sitting in the end zone area near the visiting team's fans. I noticed some drunk UH fans profanely berating a small elderly man who was wearing the visiting team colors. I was about to go over and intervene but just then a group of big Samoan guys who were also wearing the visiting colors (relatives of one of the visiting players) walked by on the way to their seats and gave stink eye to the hecklers. The drunk UH fans promptly sat down and never bothered the old man again.

UH fans have a reputation as among the rudest in the nation because of the actions of a few morons. But I hope that the majority of civilized people in the stands will help spread the aloha. I did notice one incident where fans pointed out some trouble-makers so the ushers and police could kick them out of the stadium.

Comment

OK den...

Suggestion # 1) Hire groups of big Samoans, feed them, give them the opposing team jersey, and let them stroll around and enjoy the game...
                  Cheap and effective.

Good, keep 'em coming!

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
                    UH fans have a reputation as among the rudest in the nation because of the actions of a few morons.
                    Put 'em in the same box as the Seattle Seahawks fans who threw snowballs at the NY Jets, as they were leaving the field in defeat on Sunday.

Seattleites + snow = a lotta stupidity.

Comment

Don't they do the same thing in NY, only with a lot more rock than snow?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        Don't they do the same thing in NY, only with a lot more rock than snow?
                        Shawn Ellis responded in kind ... and got hit with a $10K fine.

Comment

That whole scene was pretty funny, not the least of which is when the fan tucks the giant snowball under his arm and is clearly stoked to be taking it home as a keepsake, probably in the freezer forever.

Comment

Philadelphia fans have a savage reputation. They even booed Santa Claus once. That is hard core! SF Giants fans also have a savage reputation, I saw it once at a Giants-Dodgers game at Candlestick. Just add beer.

Comment

But all would agree that one set of fans is the winner, hands down, in San Diego, Seattle, Denver, and OAKLAND. Yup, the only team with 4, count 'em, 4 HOME STADIUMS.

CAN I GET A "GO RAIDERS!!"
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X