Foods that don't go well together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Food that doesn't go well together

Eating fried eggs and drinking soda some how doesn't mesh right with me.

Comment

Ketchup potato chips are huge in Quebec. Everytime I visit Quebec, I bring back with me a few bags of Humptey Dumptey ketchup potato chips. I mean, those things are as common there as musubi are in Hawai'i at the 7-11s.

Also, Adrian had a link to Herr's Ketchup Potato Chips..those are made in Pennsylvania in (I think) a town called Nottingham, and they can be found occasionally here in RI...they are excellent. There is a chain of dollar stores called the "Dollar Tree" on the mainland (a store just like Marukai) and many of the franchises carry the full line of Herr's Potato Chips, which include exotic potato chip flavors such as Steak and Onion, Worcestershire Sauce, and Crab and Seafood flavors.

About the chocolate and potato chips...excellent combination! There is a small chocolatier in the Milwaukee area that sells little pint and quart containers (they look like Benny & Jerry ice cream containers) of dark chocolate covered ruffled potato chips. They have to be tried! It's a wonderful contrast between salt and sweet that works well. This chocolatier also sells them in a white chocolate variety, but, what they heck..it's the dark chocolate ones that are really good.

Comment

I just checked, and Herr's has online shopping where one can purchase their ketchup potato chips if anyone might be interested in doing just that. There web address is www.herrs.com. Go to the shopping link from the main page, then click on the 5 oz. bag section; you will be able to view their other exotic varieties.

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost

Ketchup chips.. There are ketchup potato chips. They're pretty good.

Deep fried Twinkie bar?? NASTY

Deep fried pickles--pretty tasty.

Had a friend who was in love with ketchup and ate it in huge quantities, including on pizza. She and a friend managed to go through an entire regular size bottle of ketchup on one restaurant dinner meal. It was through her that I was first introduced to the idea of ketchup and chips. I'll stick to mustard, though...not a big ketchup fan.

Deep fried twinkies--not bad...covered in a kind of cinnamon batter and deep fried, as are the snickers, I believe. I've not had the deep-fried oreos, though.

My fave and one of the things I miss--a REAL deep fried cheese-on-a-stick, not that sad imitation over at Windward Mall's Hotdog-on-a-stick place.

Foods that don't go well together: Indian food, which has at least five spices in every dish, and Japanese food, which is all about simplicity in flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
            My grandmother and mother (inherited, no doubt, from generations past) believed it was an absolute no-no to eat any dairy product in the same meal as fish. So if we had a tuna fish sandwich, we couldn't have ice cream afterwards. I've no idea where this whacko idea came from.

(But I can live without chocolate-covered potatoes.)
            There are kosher rules about keeping meat and dairy separate, and another law that says the same thing about fish and dairy. However, the fish one is considered by authorities on Jewish texts to be an error. Mostly the text insist that the meat and dairy be consumed from different plates/bowls with different utensils. So having them at the same meal isn't completely impossible.
            Doesn't explain why Panther's mom or grandma followed these rules, but I guess we all learn from each other.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
              Yogurt and papaya - believe it or not are horrible together. It would seem good, but each time I've eaten those two things together I've gotten really sick.
              I read about enzymes in a food science book a while back...

Yogurts have an active enzyme called Lactase, the same property that helps those who are lactose intolerant (can't consume dairy) have the ability to eat Yogurt (for Calcium nourishment). The Lactase enzyme is likely conflicting with the active enzyme in Papaya called Papain. Papain is also the active ingredient in commercial meat tenderizers, which essentially breaks down the structure of meat fibers.

Haven't personally tried it, but I'd imagine the flavor of the Papaya with the Yogurt probably tasted either extremely tangy or horribly bitter.

Try Papaya with a squeeze of lemon on it - excellent!

How's Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sliced Balogna sound? A NASCAR TV announcer once mentioned that this was the favorite snack of drivers in Idaho or somewhere like that.

I know several people who put Ketchup on just about EVERYTHING. I mean EVERYTHING.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Foods that don't go well together?

Originally posted by doc1456
                And have anyone ov you tried chocolate covered chips?
                Personally, I do not like chocolate covered chips. I got sick to my stomach. I think the grease from the chips did not mix well with the chocolate! But I do like chocolate covered pretzels.

For me, I've found that I don't like mounds of melted cheese on spicy chicken. Indigestion! It was something I ordered at Outback Steakhouse recently. But then again, I also did not care for the chicken being as spicy as it was. Shoulda ordered a nice salad!
                Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

We made a batch of haupia for Jake Shimabukuro & his manager to enjoy backstage at his concerts here last weekend, and a guy we met (from Hawai`i) said (jokingly...we think) - "Wat? No got Spam in 'em? Dinnah an' dessert in one bite, den!"

Which then led us all to consider variations on the theme of how to ruin the haupia by adding things, like fried egg and gravy, or Portuguese sausage.

Ewwww.

Comment

Eeew. Note to self: don't come in this thread before breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                    X