Betamax

Aj

Comment

Re: Olden days-Just for fun

50th State Wrestling
      Oh Yeahhhhh!

Comment

Playgrounds that aren't made out of plastic. With see-saws! (And when your friend was at the top, you'd hop off the bottom!)

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Good quality television shows on far fewer channels
          Cagney and Lacey!!!!
          Soul Train!!!!
          Showtime at the Apollo!!!! - It isn't the same since it first aired in 1987
          Last edited by Seeking Penance; December 28, 2008, 12:42 AM.
          stay forever young

Comment

Pickup baseball (or softball or stickball) games. Bunch of kids would get together, someone has a bat, someone has a ball. That's all you need. Gloves would be nice, but not necessary. If you have one, bring it along and share it. Find an empty field or street, choose up sides, and play till the sun goes down. All without adult supervision.

Or any spontaneous street games--Dodge Ball, Steal the Flag, Tag, Marbles, etc. All without adult supervision.

In other words, unorganized fun.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              A
              A few more added to my list of olden-days stuff:
              • Typewriters, no computers
              • Typing your research paper on a typewriter
              • Re-typing the research paper after professor made changes!
              • Manual Typewriters with black and red ribbons
              =====================
              hmmmm, typewriters were NOT one of the good fun things about the old days.IMHO
              -----------
              I miss the South shore of Maui (Kihei-Makena area) before hippies, Wailea, condos, tourists, and parking lots. We used to go fishing, diving, camping, and hunting there until the invasive species came along.

Comment

Here's just a handful that have come to mind--I'm sure I will post again when more memories come around...

Woolworth's goldfish department, and how the whole store smelled--kinda cheap, but good...
                Arden Ice Cream Squares, about 2X2X2, sold at the grocery store for 5 cents...great snack for a little kid...
                Ice Cold Coke in a glass bottle, for 10 cents!
                Going out to shop in a "real" department store, when doing so was kind of a "treat", and you also kind of dressed up to go there...
                Visiting Santa (or, as my mom told me, a "Santa's Helper") in each and every store, such as Sears, Penney's , May Co., etc., and thinking that some stores had better looking helpers (the one at Sears always looked cheesy, for some reason!)...
                Gaudy tinsel-type decorations for Christmas hung across the main streets; they were really ugly, i guess, but I would LOVE to see them again...
                Nabisco Animal Crackers in a little box with a string handle
                Napping as a kid on a hot day with the window open, a slight (hot) breeze blowing, and the sheets on the bed feeling cool (before A/C)
                The Helms Bakery truck's tootle-type horn
                More to come!

Comment

Nabisco Animal Crackers in a little box with a string handle
                  They still have these on the mainland. They are a staple of my diet!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

There were a lot of car models which eventually got supplanted by a "higher" trim line>

Chevrolet CHEVELLE -----> MALIBU
                    Mercury COMET --------> CALIENTE; CYCLONE
                    Chevrolet CHEVY II ------> NOVA
                    Oldsmobile F-85 ---------> CUTLASS
                    Buick SPECIAL -----------> SKYLARK
                    Pontiac TEMPEST --------> LE MANS; GTO
                    Ford FAIRLANE -----------> TORINO
                    Ford GALAXIE ------------> LTD
                    Plymouth VALIANT -------> DUSTER; SCAMP
                    Dodge DART -------------> DEMON; SWINGER
                    Plymouth BELVEDERE -----> SATELLITE; GTX; ROADRUNNER
                    Chevrolet CORVAIR -------> CORSA

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post

Woolworth's goldfish department, and how the whole store smelled--kinda cheap, but good...
                      It had a pleasant small kid time memory smell because you went holoholo with your mom. She bought you one of those cheap rubber ball. Then, she purchased a bag of artificial colored popcorn from that giant popcorn machine and one of those bright red soda like drink from a fountain in a large plastic container.

Comment

Great thread! Brings back memories

• Typewriters, no computers
                        • Typing your research paper on a typewriter
                        • Re-typing the research paper after professor made changes!
                        • Manual Typewriters with black and red ribbons

Man does this bring back memories. Had an old manual typewriter in college. I used to bring it to the beach to type my papers. Did some of my best thinking that way. I typed my whole senior thesis on that thing. Rewrites too.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Going to Wil Wright's Ice Cream Parlor in Newport Beach, CA for a big scoop of Jamocha Almond Fudge ice cream. Yummm...
                        Soft ice cream and a game of miniature golf. Hanging on the boardwalk. For a dollar you could get a slice of Mac's Pizza, a small Birch Beer and a ride on the Tilt-A-Whirl with the ever present "Radar Love" blaring in your ears.

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                        Playgrounds that aren't made out of plastic. With see-saws! (And when your friend was at the top, you'd hop off the bottom!)
                        Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                        Pickup baseball (or softball or stickball) games. Bunch of kids would get together, someone has a bat, someone has a ball. That's all you need. Gloves would be nice, but not necessary. If you have one, bring it along and share it. Find an empty field or street, choose up sides, and play till the sun goes down. All without adult supervision.

Or any spontaneous street games--Dodge Ball, Steal the Flag, Tag, Marbles, etc. All without adult supervision.

In other words, unorganized fun.
                        I miss these too. I think kids today are way too organized and over-protected by adults. They miss out on learning to entertain themselves and on learning important life skills. But this thread is for fun only!

Let's see....... what else????

• Cash registers with push buttons to enter the price and cashiers who could count change.

• Going to the library to do research. Finding the book you need and sitting on the floor to read it. Then actually writing notes out on paper to take home with you.

• The Steel Pier in Atlantic City with the diving horse. And Davey Jones' locker. This was really just a tourist trap, but when I was about 10, I was soooo excited to go see this. You went down in an 1800's diving bell to see it. Boy, was I disappointed. I really thought I was going to see Davy Jones' (of the Monkees) gym locker from school. Ok, I was a dumb kid. What can I say.

• Riding your bike in the street, without helmets or knee pads.

• Riding in the back seat of the station wagon with my brothers and cousins. No car seats. My mother swears that if she had to deal with car seats we never would have left home. I remember once driving to Chincoteague in Virginia. 7 kids (the twins weren't born yet) in the back of a station wagon for 4 hours. We still laugh about stopping at a rest stop and getting french fries. The lady behind the counter asked us "Y'all wanna fart for yer fries?" Say that to 7 kids under 10! (She was asking us we we wanted forks - that's NOT what we heard).

• Roller skates - both the indoor and outdoor kinds. The outdoor ones fit over your shoes and you needed a key to make them fit (wasn't there a song about that?). The indoor ones had wooden wheels and could only be used in an indoor rink.

Comment

[LIST][*]Typewriters, no computers[*]Typing your research paper on a typewriter[*]Re-typing the research paper after professor made changes!
                          I don't miss it at all!! Along with White-out or typewriter erasers. Or having to reposition the paper back right to continue typing.

What I do miss was the slow and careful review of my writing as it retyped it.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                            The outdoor ones fit over your shoes and you needed a key to make them fit (wasn't there a song about that?).

this one?

(Too short - grumble, grumble....)

What I miss was good music and not the garbage I hear now.

Comment

Not worrying about leaving the house unlocked.

Comment

The typewriter comments reminded me of the "joy" of smelling fresh mimeograph ink.

I still own (and use regularly) a small electric typewriter that I bought in the 1990s. It's easier than my computer for printing odd-size labels and forms. I suspect that the ribbon cartridges will be getting harder to find, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X