The Olden Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olden days-Just for fun

My parents STILL have that colored toilet paper..... I saw it there last week. Eewwww! Wasn't it discontinued because it killed fish? And then little flowers were printed on it in colors to decorate your bathroom. Don't remember a toy coming in the package; that would be neat!

I miss wax "soda pop" bottles filled with a kool-aid sugar mixture inside; you had to bite the tops off, and suck out the liquid... Yeah, I know you can still get them sometimes, but the quality nowadays sucks. Now way as good as the good old days.

Anyone remember gas costing 13 cents a gallon, and 1st class mail was 4 cents? I do. Yeah, I know I'm old...

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
      Zima? Did anyone acquired that taste?
      Ewwwww. That ztuff zucked.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
        Anyone remember gas costing 13 cents a gallon, and 1st class mail was 4 cents? I do. Yeah, I know I'm old...
        I remember seeing that price at the Esso station when I was little, looking out the window of the car while Daddy filled up. I think we were stationed in Italy then.

We ain't old--we is advanced to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          I remember seeing that price at the Esso station when I was little, looking out the window of the car while Daddy filled up.
          Heh. Your dad was filling the car? Heck, I remember when the gas station attendants not only filled the tank, they also cleaned the windshield, checked the oil, and checked the tires air pressure... every single time. It was just normal.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
            [...]
            I don't remember 13¢ but I do remember 25¢/gal. I had a VW beetle in high school and I used to buy 4 gallons for $1. I also remember 3¢ and 4¢ stamps! And going to a movie for 9¢!
            Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Heh. Your dad was filling the car? Heck, I remember when the gas station attendants not only filled the tank, they also cleaned the windshield, checked the oil, and checked the tires air pressure... every single time. It was just normal.
            Back in the days of really cheap gas, I don't recall customers being allowed to fill their own cars. Regardless, I've made it my mission to try to get thru my entire lifetime without ever filling my car's tank, myself!!! Just a quirk, I guess!

I can get full service with a wash at McKinley Car Wash. And, I can get mini-service at Lex Brodie's. IIRC, I saw a full service lane at the Cosmo station on the corner of Kalakaua and King. I'll have to check that one out! There's a 76 station in Maili with a FS lane.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
              I remember seeing that price at the Esso station when I was little, looking out the window of the car while Daddy filled up.
              Okay, okay...I was a 2nd or 3rd grader, and my father was getting the car filled up.

(I was gonna cheat and edit the first post....)

Comment

I think the urban myth on colored toilet paper was that it could cause rectum cancer to some people who used it.

Tutusue, thanks for the update on full service gas stations. I was wondering if there were any left. On the Big Island in Honokaa there is Ted's Garage. They have self serve, mini serve and full serve. A rarity certainly but appreciated by many.

I usually go to Lex Brodie's, cash only.

As for the McDLT I was told by a McDonald's local exec, that the burger was dicontinued due to poor sales. I like that burger.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  Heck, I remember when the gas station attendants not only filled the tank
                  Pay a visit to Oregon sometime. They won't do all the service steps, but it is illegal to pump your own gas - attendants must do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                    I totally missed that one growing up .

Was it popular?? Did the company make tons of money?

I only heard very little off of it, sorry.
                    I saw a Teddy Ruxpin during the shopping season at the mall I was surprised! I didn't see how much it was, he was attached to a cardboard three sided box with I think plastic over him. He's still cute.

Comment

Teddy Ruxpin is back!? Cool!!

It's the original animatronic talking teddy bear, and operated via cassette tape, for the voice and movement. Came with a storybook that Teddy would 'read' to kids. I think he's from the early 80's.
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I miss....

....The old 5-10 Ben Franklin stores(before they became craft stores)
                        Vinyl records
                        The old KIKU
                        When people weren't so PC(I still say Merry Christmas)
                        Woolworth's fried chicken
                        Grand Slam Burgers while watching an Islander game at Honolulu stadium
                        Buying coin turtles
                        Fishing at Wailoa pond and Liliuokalani Gardens( what killed all the tilipia?)
                        Hot Wheels
                        Making a fort in the california grass
                        Vapples and bug juice
                        Natural boobies and pubic hair

Like Brother Noland says...."Look What They've Done"
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

A McDonald's burger cost $.15! And same for a fries. Coke was a dime. My grandpa was too cheap to buy me all three at the same time. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            Zima? Did anyone acquired that taste?
                            My sister would give these to me when I was in the 7th grade and would take to train down to College Station to come visit her at A&M (that was back when the train still stopped there). Just pop a jolly rancher in the Zima and you had a primitive Smirnoff Ice in the flavor of your choosing!

Now..anyone remember Tequiza?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Speaking of cheap eats, anyone remember the 25 cent hot dogs at Bakery Kapiolani? This was when they had a bakery/restaurant on King Street near Piikoi, where Golden Duck Chinese restaurant is now located. They had a window on the Ewa side where they sold hot dogs. This was in the early to mid 80s, I believe. Even back then, that was really cheap.

They weren't the best dogs around, but for 25 cents, how could you go wrong? Pick up two or three of those and you were set.

Comment

i couldn't quite figure out if tequiza is beer or a mixed drink

but i remember tequiza
                                stay forever young

Comment

Working...
                                X