Hookena Beach Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hookena Beach Assault

Another boy has been sentenced. 60 days jail, community service, a pittance of a fine.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/articles/...al/local02.txt

I sure hope a couple of them realize they can learn important lessons in the military that their families failed to give them. (honor, morality, responsibility)
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Hookena Beach Assault

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Another boy has been sentenced. 60 days jail, community service, a pittance of a fine.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/articles/...al/local02.txt

I sure hope a couple of them realize they can learn important lessons in the military that their families failed to give them. (honor, morality, responsibility)

*sighs*

unfortunate - i am sad now

really is difficult at times to grasp a hold on to that last ounce of humility and just walk away from it - god knows i've failed many of times at that

happy new year
    stay forever young

Comment

He needs a good ole ass kicking... violence is something only BULLIES will respond to (to make them STOP bullying!)
      http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
        He needs a good ole ass kicking... violence is something only BULLIES will respond to (to make them STOP bullying!)
        Death would be more effective.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Hello? 911?
          "State your emergency"
          I'm the victim of an assault. We need ambulance and police.
          "Are you hurt?"
          No ma'am.
          "Then why do you need an ambulance?"
          The perpetrator is unconcious.

Arrest that man, and take him to the hospital.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Okay, now that we’re done being sarcastic, I’d like to flesh out my real point. We need the death penalty in Hawai‘i. Criminals do not fear committing crime because they benefit from free housing, food and medical care as “punishment” by our justice system for their activities. Do I think we should spend more money on “rehabilitation” such as counseling, drug treatment, education etc.? Sure. But not paid for out of my pocket. Reduce the cost for running our overcrowded prisons by eliminating the need to incarcerate violent inmates.

Permanently.

Shipping our inmates to the mainland destroys even more of their ability to re-assimilate into society. It strips them of visitation by anyone who might care enough to help them change. And Hawai‘i’s communities have demonstrated that they are unwilling to tolerate another prison in their backyard. If you want to give stiffer sentences for convicted felons, something’s got to give.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

No, we don't need the death penalty

We need judges that meat out proper penalties and a sentencing/parole system that doesn't let them off the hook. Way to many overzealous prosecutors and errant judges in the business of seperate agendas than the truth.

We've seen over 100 death penalty cases found to have been incorrect recently in the US, with innocent people incarcerated for decades while the murderer/s are still out there.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: No, we don't need the death penalty

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                We need judges that meat out proper penalties ... blah blah blah
                You completely missed the point, Ron, which you usually do. But I’ll try to explain this as if you're a 11-year-old, in hopes of achieving better reading comprehension.

WE DON’T HAVE ROOM FOR ANY MORE INMATES IN OUR PRISON SYSTEM.

Get it? You can’t give stiffer penalties until you have the capacity to enforce the penalty. Stop targeting judges and join Timkona in chastising the anti-prison NIMBY crowd.

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                We've seen over 100 death penalty cases found to have been incorrect recently in the US
                You solve this problem by creating a “three strikes” law. If the inmate has already been convicted of violent felonies on two separate occasions prior to the murder conviction, then the death penalty is warranted whether they committed murder or not. IMHO. If the inmate has credible information regarding the so-called “real” murderer, I think our justice system already allows for that discrepancy through the court of appeals. Start asking the real question, Ron: if these 100+ inmates were not guilty, why wasn’t their conviction overturned on appeal?

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Even an 11 yr. old can understand you are nuts on the subjects as you descibed them, and I certainly hope no one in positions of authority share your views.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Normally I'm pro-death penalty (I am from TX), but honestly, you can't just decide to make a state a DP state. It's more expensive to put someone to death than it is to incarcerate them for life. Also, the reason those innocent people are still sitting on death row and haven't been let go is because new trials and appeals are expensive and the justice system (especially when you get into prision trials) works sooo slowly.

Also, right on board with you, Ron. It's so much cheaper to hand out house arrests and probations to lesser criminals than to just toss every criminal into prision so we have drug offenders sitting there with violent criminals. Great systems. Unfortunately, it's not going to change anytime soon, and what money that goes toward the system goes toward building more bars so we can keep overcrowding. No one gets rehabilitated, and everyone loses.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                      Also, right on board with you, Ron. It's so much cheaper to hand out house arrests and probations to lesser criminals than to just toss every criminal into prision so we have drug offenders sitting there with violent criminals. Great systems. Unfortunately, it's not going to change anytime soon, and what money that goes toward the system goes toward building more bars so we can keep overcrowding. No one gets rehabilitated, and everyone loses.
                      I don’t know why you gave credit to Ron for this. If you read my posts, this is actually part of the point I was trying to make. Drug offenders should not be sitting in the same prison with violent criminals. We just differ in our approach. You would experiment with “house arrrest,” a rarely used tactic for our druggies. I would simply eliminate the violent offenders. Probation is the opposite of Ron’s point which was: that probation is too lenient, and is tantamount to “letting the criminals off the hook.”

Honestly, I am skeptical that it costs more to institute the death penalty then to incarcerate an inmate for life. I’d be interested to see a link to some statistics if you have them.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Sorry, TuNnL, I didn't mean to credit the wrong person! My apologies. Also, I would be happy to point you in the direction of stats. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my criminal justice texts with me here, nor any of my professors. I will do my research and try to find some link though. I know that it's more expensive in Texas, but that may not be the case here. As I said, I'll look into it more.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

i think crime victims should be given significant voice as to the penalties, and the victims themselves told the prosecutor they didn't want alani to serve significant jail time. if anyone has any complaint about what the defendant got, they should speak to the victims.

only a bam margera would call for the death penalty in a case where the victims suffered nothing more than scrapes and bruises, with only one needing stitches, even if such call were belatedly claimed to have been made with "sarcasm."

statistics on the death penalty costing more than to house a criminal for life? the death penalty system costs California $114 million more than to keep convicts locked up for life. cali tax payers pay $250 million per execution. in kansas, capital cases cost 70% more than non-capital, including incarceration costs. in texas, a death penalty case costs three times more than imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years. north carolina pays 2.16 million to kill a criminal in a capital case than to sentence that criminal to life.

it's not an effective deterrent against homicides. states with death penalties don't have a markedly lower homicide rate than non-death penalty states, based on FBI statistics (see here).

additionally, the death penalty has been administered in less than fair ways. given an white-black interracial murder, a defendant is much more likely to receive the death penalty if s/he is not white and his/her victim is white (231)versus if the victim is black and the defendant is white (5).

statistics on the death penalty that i've quoted, including the fact that it costs more than life sentences, are here. granted, they are from an organization that is against the death penalty. only the laziest of pro-death penalty HTers who know how to google would have difficulty finding counter-statistics, such as "every execution saves 18 lives," because this argument has been going on since time immemorial. given the history of law enforcement in this country, it's not an argument likely to be settled anytime soon. anyone who pretends to have any kind of definitive answers when they don't even have a criminal justice background is nothing but an alimentary canal, especially when such person berates others in bold lettering for having different views.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                            only a bam margera would call for the death penalty in a case where the victims suffered nothing more than scrapes and bruises, with only one needing stitches, even if such call were belatedly claimed to have been made with "sarcasm."
                            You’re confused. The particular comment you cite had nothing to do with the death penalty, or my position on it. The comment was simply a general sarcastic comment about “death” and its degree of effectiveness as compared to islandguy’s prescription of “a good ole ass kicking” as a means of punishment for bullies.

That being said, mahalo for the stats and have a great day.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              You’re confused. The particular comment you cite had nothing to do with the death penalty, or my position on it. The comment was simply a general sarcastic comment about “death” and its degree of effectiveness as compared to islandguy’s prescription of “a good ole ass kicking” as a means of punishment for bullies.

That being said, mahalo for the stats and have a great day.
                              as usual, backpedalbackpedalbackpedal with "sarcasm" or other HTers' confusion as your excuse. if the rest of us misunderstand you so often, then maybe you should write more clearly instead of hint at what you think you meant to say.

some advice for you: if you would yourself like to have a great day, save yourself the embarrassment and do your own homework instead of making premature pronouncements in bold lettering for all to laugh at.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X