Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power surge after blackout

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...ble_boxes.html

During a power failure, customers always should unplug electrical devices, even if it is plugged into a surge protector

Thought #1: So, why have a surge protector if it won't protect the equipment?

Thought #2: I've got all my computer equipment and TVs plugged into surge protectors, but not my refridgerator, washer, dryer, etc. Do any HTers plug in those type of home applicances? Any damage from the recent power surge? I saw a news report where a store had lost a big refridgerator due to the surge.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Power surge after blackout

I think people may mistake and confuse power strips and surge protectors, they may look the same but there don't do the same job. And surge protectors were kind of meant to deal with minor fluctions in the power being supplied from the wall outlet, not when it goes all the way off.

I guess the power company wants to cover their bases to prevent the surge protectors from being fried when the power comes back up again. However if that surge protector is kind of brand new like a year or two I think it can handle the power going off and on with no problem, however if that unit has been there for the last 10 years or so, covered in dust and cowebs it might react badly to the power going on.

But you know what, it's not the simple power on and off that is going to kill stuff but rather the aftermath of a power blackout might be kind of chaotic as far as power returning. With lots of devices still in the on state but no power applied to them, it could cause circuit breakers to go off when power is reapplied to an area.

Comment

on the very strong advice of my brother, I keep all my computer, tv, dvd, cable box etc plugged into "Universal Power Supply" or UPS boxes - I have 2. Luckily because of this - when both boxes started beeping at me just before the outage, I was able to get everything shut down before the power all went out. Then those UPS boxes were also shut down. I don't seem to have had any power surge problems. But then - I also could have just been really lucky!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Yesterday I went to the Oceanic service desk at Sears Ala Moana and found it totally swamped with people. When I picked a number at the counter, I got C22. At the time they were serving... A97.

It was more than an hour before they called my number. I didn't ask the other folks waiting, but I wonder how many of them were there because their set top boxes had gotten fried by surges?
        Last edited by Eric; December 30, 2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

During the earthquake blackout in 2006, my cable box was fried and I went to the Oceanic kiosk at Sears Ala Moana. I experienced the same thing that Eric did. There was a mob there. I picked a number. It was something like B55; I looked at the counter sign and it indicated they were serving something like A12. I didn't look at the alphabet; I just looked at the number. i thought: What a long wait, but it's not too bad. I can wait.

The person next to me pointed out that I had "B"55 and they were serving "A"12. "Well, how many numbers are there in the 'A' group?" I asked. "99," he said. I gave out a loud groan. But I had no choice, so I stayed, and waited about two hours.

So ... Oceanic knows this happens every time the power goes out. Thousands of customers get their boxes fried. During the 2006 blackout, I don't think there was anything in the media that alerted the public that this was a problem. Why didn't Oceanic make this potential problem known during the recent outage?

Comment

I'm not very mindful about possible power surges except as they relate to my computer. I have power strips but not surge protectors. I am, however, maniacal about unplugging my computer when it's not in use. I was using it when the power tanked last Friday. I immediately, even before breathing, removed the power adapter. It was a knee/jerk reaction! Once I learned the extent of the outage I turned all the power strips off but I didn't unplug them. Everything seems to be fine in my Waikiki hale even tho' I wasn't there to turn off anything. Fortunately, my computer was with me in Makaha. I'll know more about Makaha in a coupla days as I left a few minutes before power was restored.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              Most are designed to only protect against the garden verity of surges. The surges created when the power goes out (and to some extent when it comes back on) is worse.

Surge protectors are rated in Joules. The higher, the stronger. And yes, they do degrade with the number of surges absorbed. So it may be time to replace that 10-year old strip. Maybe a good idea to do it when you replace the computer or whatever it's protecting.

Thought #2: I've got all my computer equipment and TVs plugged into surge protectors, but not my refridgerator, washer, dryer, etc.
              The most vulnerable equipment is those with electronics. That's because a transistor or IC can not withstand high voltage at all. But other appliances may be all electro-mechanical. It's possible for a surge to damage them, but it's got to be one hell of a surge.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              Luckily because of this - when both boxes started beeping at me just before the outage, I was able to get everything shut down before the power all went out.
              Yes, our UPS units gave warning as well. I think the first power "flicker" was at 6:36PM, but it didn't go out for good until 6:52. But just before that, they all started to scream. Not sure if it was low voltage or wrong frequency, but they knew.

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              set top boxes had gotten fried by surges?
              Folks may want to look for surge protectors or UPS units that have a built-in cable protection. Cable boxes are vulnerable because they are connected to TWO services - the AC power and the cable system. Spikes BETWEEN the services can zap them. A protector that connects to both the AC power and the cable can offer better protection. If your cable goes direct to the VCR or TV set, then that's in the vulnerable spot. At my mother's house many years ago, both the VCR and Stereo died at the same time. Both were connected to the cable.

Personally, I like the APC brand.

Comment

As others have pointed out, it's the size & speed of the transient. HECO doing operator training-- not much of a problem. Lightning striking the transformer outside your house-- big problem.

A higher-rated (more expensive) surge protector will clip/limit almost everything. However there'll always be that one earthquake hurricane lightning strike recovery really bad spike that could get through.

An UPS that takes in AC, charges its batteries, and then powers equipment from those batteries through a DC/AC inverter will be immune to just about everything. A power strip just expands the holes available from the receptacle and will stop nothing. In fact a piece of equipment dying on a power strip might take its neighbors with it, although that's uncommon. Electronics engineers are supposed to design around it and most electronics don't have the power to really blow out like that. But years ago when our 1980s receiver blew out a capacitor and caught fire, it took down the tape deck too.

Chips are most susceptible to the spikes, as are 5v power supplies. Bigger motors generally don't care, unless of course they use microprocessor controllers (as many do). So the motor may be OK, but the temperature circuits or selector panels may have fried cards.

We bought a Series 2 TiVo a couple months ago and have learned that their power supplies are particularly susceptible to voltage fluctuations. Since the lifetime subscription can range from $299-$399, it's probably worth getting a really good surge protector (that also feeds through cable TV & phone lines) or even a mini-UPS. But I haven't gone looking for one yet, so we're still living on the edge...
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I've got all my computer equipment and TVs plugged into surge protectors, but not my refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc. Do any HTers plug in those type of home appliances? Any damage from the recent power surge? I saw a news report where a store had lost a big refrigerator due to the surge.
                  I'm pretty sure most old appliances are safe from all but the worst surges. The only exceptions would be appliances that have high-tech digital displays or control systems. For example, those old-school washing machines with the crank dial timer control are probably safe. The new ones with the fancy push-button digital timer are probably not.

Maybe that store's refrigeration system had a modern computerized control system that got fried, but the compressors were probably fine.

Most appliances nowadays have some kind of sensitive digital control system; washers, dryers, dishwashers, ranges, ovens... even some refrigerators. I think they need to be protected from surges just like TVs, cable boxes and computers.

As soon as I realize the scale of a power outage is substantial enough that the power-on surge could be an issue, I turn off every circuit in my house at the circuit breaker box in the garage. The only ones I leave on are my two refrigerators. Both are on dedicated circuits and neither has any digital controls.

Shutting the house down from the circuit breaker box beats having to go around the house unplugging everything and worrying that I might have forgotten something.

Comment

We were in billeting on base when the power went out, it came back on at 3:11AM, announcing it's return with the smoke alarms blaring.

Until today, I didn't know what a UPS box was and since I'm going to be living in Hawaii for a good 3 years I should probably buy a couple, eh?

Good places to buy them? What brand? Yikes! Educate me pleaaase

I think going to the circuit breaker box would probably be a good call for us, as well. . . hmm i think we have control over that stuff in base housing.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                      [...]Shutting the house down from the circuit breaker box beats having to go around the house unplugging everything and worrying that I might have forgotten something.
                      I would've never thought of that but what a good idea! That's much easier for me than crawling behind or moving furniture!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        on the very strong advice of my brother, I keep all my computer, tv, dvd, cable box etc plugged into "Universal Power Supply" or UPS boxes - I have 2. Luckily because of this - when both boxes started beeping at me just before the outage, I was able to get everything shut down before the power all went out. Then those UPS boxes were also shut down. I don't seem to have had any power surge problems.
                        I would definitely recommend a UPS system for anyone with a home computer. If it’s plugged into the wall, it needs protection, as a power surge can cause hard drive failure. As far as your television/DVD, I don’t see it as critical. As long as you have a bonafide surge protector (not a $10 “power strip”) for those appliances, you don’t really need a UPS system for them.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

well, I bought the UPS my computer is on. My overly cautious Bro gave me the other one. So it would have been ungracious to not use it right?

ps: Happy Birthday!
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                            As soon as I realize the scale of a power outage is substantial enough that the power-on surge could be an issue, I turn off every circuit in my house at the circuit breaker box in the garage. The only ones I leave on are my two refrigerators. Both are on dedicated circuits and neither has any digital controls.
                            Yup. That's what I did too. Just the refrig and the lights.

Originally posted by Enamorada View Post
                            Until today, I didn't know what a UPS box was and since I'm going to be living in Hawaii for a good 3 years I should probably buy a couple, eh?

Good places to buy them? What brand? Yikes! Educate me pleaaase
                            Personally, I like the APC brand. You can find them at the Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy, Mail Order and probably even Circuit City. The important thing is to make sure you buy one big enough to power everything plugged into it.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            As far as your television/DVD, I don’t see it as critical. As long as you have a bonafide surge protector[...], you don’t really need a UPS system for them.
                            Note the surge protector in the picture has the connections to route the cable connection though it. That would have protected the cable box.

As for UPS vs surge protector, there's a couple of things to think about. Does any of the devices have a hard drive? (Like a DVR?) Secondly, how expensive is your TV set? One thing a surge protector can't protect against is a sudden off/on that catches the power supply just wrong. If you've got an expensive set and you didn't get that extended warranty, then maybe a good UPS will be some cheap insurance.

Just wait until they go on sale.

Comment

We had a power cut in England but it only lasted 2 and a half hours. I did the same as you fellers but when the power came back on ,,,,, it was a heck of a job to set the burgular alarm system ! Because during power cuts, it falls back onto battery.

Got it sorted.

Comment

Working...
                              X