Ban New Years fireworks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

As the husband of an asthmatic, I'd be happy to see them go.
    Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Smokeless/non flammable fireworks?
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Smokeless/non flammable fireworks?
        Can you still call them that? Fireworks?

Comment

I'm on the fence on this one... Having a firecracker go bang in your hand is a rite of passage as a kid.
          However, I am appalled by the huge clouds of smoke over the island and what it does to the enviroment. (I do like to pretend that I'm in a movie like The Mist however.)

Fools that spend hundreds of dollars for 1 aeriel deserve to just burn their money. This past NYE, fools were exploding those things wayyyyyy after 1am, my kids were scared by every explosion and I was thinking dark thoughts at those fools.

LikaNui, interesting facts. But I wonder how those numbers compare to alcohol related accidents? Should we ban alcohol again? Not trying to pick a fight - just thinking out loud.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I've always liked the fireworks, since I came here in '71. It's part of the distinctive character of Hawaii. In the 70s, when I lived in Kaimuki, after the New Years bang-bangs, the red-paper detritus was at least 5 inches high in the gutter in front of our house. Now, those were fireworks. All the complaints and new regulations since then have made life here more convenient, a day or two a year, but also made it less interesting. Now we're more like the mainland. Great.
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
              I've always liked the fireworks, since I came here in '71. It's part of the distinctive character of Hawaii. In the 70s, when I lived in Kaimuki, after the New Years bang-bangs, the red-paper detritus was at least 5 inches high in the gutter in front of our house. Now, those were fireworks. All the complaints and new regulations since then have made life here more convenient, a day or two a year, but also made it less interesting. Now we're more like the mainland. Great.
              First year I lived here, the NYE fireworks were really exciting and interesting. Just so much more enthusiasm here than on the mainland and it was kind of cool.

The first time I had to try and drive home on NYE from my in-laws place and couldn't see five feet in front of my car because of all the smoke hanging in the air. . . significantly less enthusiastic about that, far less cool.

That and seeing my wife have to wear a damned respirator in our living room because we have louvered windows and can't keep the smoke out. . . also not cool.

Comment

I have asthma. I love watching fireworks displays from a distance, but when I can't get away from all the smoke, it becomes a serious and possibly deadly situation for me.

I do have fond memories as a kid (pre asthma) setting off bottle rockets and mortars and the like. I also have memories of us doing very stupid things that could have caused injuries if we hadn't gotten lucky ("Hey, if we set it against this slope, wanna see if we can launch it over the road?"). And I know people-- not kids but "experienced" adults-- who have lost limbs and lives through fireworks mishaps.
                Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Gotta say these now quiet days/nights and the smoke-free air during holidays is something that endears me more to Hawaii than ever. I don't miss that little noisy/polluting part of Hawaii.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I'm starting to wonder if fireworks is a guy thing. I see more guys spending the Kala to buy the biggest and baddest cache of pyrotechnics. If that's the case then one way to curb excessive fireworks is to have the playoffs or MMA events held on New Years Eve. We'll be glued to the tube instead of watching Bombs bursting in Air!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I'm starting to wonder if fireworks is a guy thing. I see more guys spending the Kala to buy the biggest and baddest cache of pyrotechnics. If that's the case then one way to curb excessive fireworks is to have the playoffs or MMA events held on New Years Eve. We'll be glued to the tube instead of watching Bombs bursting in Air!
                      Right. When its midnight on Jan. 1st here, it's 5 am on the east coast. Perfect start time for a high profile sporting event.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        Right. When its midnight on Jan. 1st here, it's 5 am on the east coast. Perfect start time for a high profile sporting event.
                        Okay then...Girls Gone Wild PPV Free just for that one night! Boobs or Bombs? Take your pick!

Comment

This ban sucks. It will be the worst New Year's Eve ever. Hawaii is no longer Hawaii. It's turning into the mainland. Pretty soon, you won't even know you are in Hawaii anymore because the foreigners are trying to make us into the mainland. I don't know why those people even moved to Hawaii in the first place. They knew we had legal fireworks when they first came, so if they didn't like it, then why even move here? So lame. Well thanks a lot foreigners from the US continent. Thanks to you people, Hawaii will have many more drunk driving accidents because people will now go and drink at bars, clubs and hotels, rather than staying at home with friends and family. Foreigners just can't stand to have locals enjoy anything of our own because they feel left out like outsiders, so instead they just have to ban our own fun. Disgusting.

Comment

I don't recall fireworks being a particular tradition of the Kanaka Maoli. Didn't the tradition come over to Hawai`i with "foreign" workers, likely the Chinese (for scaring away evil spirits)? Fill me in, experts...and welcome to HT, Keoni Boy.

Comment

I blame two groups: The folks with breathing difficulties and the black market.

The black market was out of control. From what I've heard the illegal stuff came in disguised as legal stuff. That's why things like sparklers have been banned.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                I blame two groups: The folks with breathing difficulties and the black market.
                                Yes, curse those asthmatic children and adults with emphysema! Can't they just suffer in silence while I shoot off my fireworks and have some fun??
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X