Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Originally posted by Paul Valenti View Post
    Hey guys - this has been fun, but I have to get back to work - maybe we can do this again in the future. Ciao
    Darn, now we don't have Paul with us for the moment. I hate when that happens.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Good arguments on both sides. They should put this issue on the ballots too and let the people decide. It would be a fair vote and the people will be satisfied regardless of the outcome.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
        Good arguments on both sides.
        Can't we all just get along?

Rodney King.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Honolulu City Council may ask state for right to curb fireworks a Honolulu Advertiser report.

"The resolution, proposed by City Councilman Charles K. Djou, does not have the force of law but "urges the state Legislature to amend and strengthen the state Fireworks Control Law, by authorizing the counties to adopt laws more stringent than those imposed by the state."

The full council will consider final passage on Jan. 28.

Honolulu police, firefighters, and a coalition of community stakeholders plan to introduce a measure at the state Legislature this session imposing a total ban on all consumer fireworks." (I like this part!)

An all out ban! I can dream can't I?!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
            "The resolution, proposed by City Councilman Charles K. Djou, does not have the force of law but "urges the state Legislature to amend and strengthen the state Fireworks Control Law, by authorizing the counties to adopt laws more stringent than those imposed by the state."
            I thought the counties already COULD pass laws that are more stringent than those imposed by the state. ??
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
              Uhh, yea I posted this article to start today’s round of discussions. At least now I know who’s reading and who’s just posting to stroke their own ego.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

1) The majority of the community? How do you know that? I'll bet that if you polled all the folks in the back of the valleys, as well as the folks on the windward side and the North Shore you would find that is not the case. And, I think that would be a hard case to make considering the number of people who participate every year.

2) And, you are right, there is a lot less pot activity these days - maybe that's why Honolulu has become the ice capitol of the world - that approach has worked well hasn't it?
                1) It's what sticks in my mind from media polls, that the majority prefer to have less noise/pollution/dangers than those who wish to continue the tradtion. I think most grow out of the big joy from all that, and a growing number are seeing the sense in not.

2) No, it hasn't worked at all (but heroin use is almost pau), and if we hadn't elected Lingle and Bush I'll bet things would be different, if not in fact much better. Lingle won't even consider industrial hemp, for anything! What a freak.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I think everyone is wasting their time and effort on this when there is more important issues. Maybe ICE and corruption.

I guess if it doesn't affect them directly, it doesn't matter. It matters when that ICE head breaks into your house, robs you at knife and gun point steals your belongings to AMP your stuff for his next fix, then it will matter.

To put all your focus on something that happens only one night of the year, i think can be better focus on other things.

On a side note if your at ala moana around the ground level were Old Navy, SubWay, Thoms Barber shop is etc, that place has the WORST Polluted air in hawaii ever.

Comment

But you can avoid Ala Moana Center.

Yes, there are much bigger issues than the topic of fireworks, but not in this thread.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      Uhh, yea I posted this article to start today’s round of discussions. At least now I know who’s reading and who’s just posting to stroke their own ego.
                      Sorry I missed your link... and up yours buddy!
                      Go stroke yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Ryan (and Mrs. Ryan!) shouldn't be forced from their home in order to protect the health of their children. They may not resent having to do that but I resent it for them! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't mind the NYE fireworks but I really don't feel people should be forced into a position of spending a fair chunk of change (which so many can't afford) to travel to protect their health. That said...I have no answers to the fireworks situation and I do know the PZ family enjoys their time on the BI.
                        Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Okay, I also agree, but like tutusue said, Ryan and his ‘ohana were not forced to do what they did... they wanted to.
                        0)My question was why more people don’t follow his lead, not whether or not they should. At the very least, it supports your local airlines and the outer island economies!
                        If someone wishes to take a trip... good on them, but to do so for health reasons (escaping the smoke) is ridiculous!
                        0) Because we don't wish to.

Comment

Every time I hear the b-word taking away more of our freedoms it bothers me. Apart from hard drugs and a very few other things, bans are not the answer. It is the job of our government to be expanding our freedoms and putting more take home pay in our pockets, not the other way around.
                          Last edited by AlohaKine; January 15, 2009, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                            It is the job of our government to be expanding our freedoms and putting more take home pay in our pockets,
                            We done got us librul here!
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                              Every time I hear the b-word taking away more of our freedoms it bothers me. Apart from hard drugs and a very few other things, bans are not the answer. It is the job of our government to be expanding our freedoms and putting more take home pay in our pockets, not the other way around.
                              i agree! legalize the aerials, have the state tax it, so they can make money on it. Why should the state not get a piece of the action?

Comment

[...]And, if tutusue is really that concerned about the quality of the air two or three times a year - he/she should probably not drive - But, I'll bet he or she does drive.
                                She... And, I see fireworks much more than 2-3 times a year. I see and hear them once a week.

I have no health issues that smoke from fireworks...or cars...affects. On a personal level, I'm not concerned about a few days of poor air quality. But there are at least 154,000 people in our state who are affected and their needs should be considered. That's out of a population of approx. 1.29million. That's over 10% of the population. As I stated previously...I DO NOT SUPPORT AN OUTRIGHT BAN AND I ENJOY WATCHING THE FIREWORKS.

And, yes, I drive...maybe 4000 miles per year and I don't have a 'green' car. I'm very thankful for our tradewinds that keep smog to a minimum. I lived in the San Fernando Valley for years when smog was at it's worst, which was on a daily basis. I'll take Hawaii's 'smoke' problems anyday but will support a compromise that takes the large community of lung patients into consideration.

Please try to comprehend what others are writing before replying.

Comment

Working...
                                X