Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Those that wish to irritate, and worse, those around them by setting off firecrackers and ariels, should have a special place from which to do it.

Guess where I'd suggest...
    In his pants?
    That's what she said.
    Sorry, just getting ready for an episode of The Office.

Comment

not sure how i can vote, but i dont want it to be banned. lol

Comment

If you are talking about the poll that went with this thread that poll has been closed for quite some time now. You still can reply to this thread with your opinion on the subject if you like but be advised that this thread or the poll has no bearing on the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
          I think the only effective compromise would be to re-legalize some of the aerial stuff, but ban the bombs and bigger aerial displays, and enforce the damn law! That way, you'll satisfy the masses and minimize the danger. To me, this won't make everyone happy, but it's a compromise.
          Interesting proposal. So how would authorities differentiate between the different categories of “legal” and “illegal” fireworks? Can you expand on these “bombs” that proved to be such a nuisance to you? i.e. Were they homemade or store-bought?

I recognize that fireworks opponents have legitimate gripes, but I don’t understand why more of the “anti” crowd don’t just do what Ryan did: take an off-island getaway for the night.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Interesting proposal. So how would authorities differentiate between the different categories of “legal” and “illegal” fireworks? Can you expand on these “bombs” that proved to be such a nuisance to you? i.e. Were they homemade or store-bought?

I recognize that fireworks opponents have legitimate gripes, but I don’t understand why more of the “anti” crowd don’t just do what Ryan did: take an off-island getaway for the night.
            These bombs are the super loud aerials that set off car alarms blocks away. I think I know most of us know what I'm talking about. Somehow, it seems people dismantle the stuff to get individual "cherry bombs" and set em off on the ground somewhere. Can't miss those. The corrupt law enforcement officials working down at the docks can at least intercept those. They're not just a nuisance to me, but are a disturbance to everyone and every pet. Heck, I bet the cockroaches are organizing a protest!

Also, if you wanna limit the air pollution, they gotta ban dem damn morning glories. They emit more smoke than the Puu o'o vent. Hope I said that right.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              [...]
              Ryan (and Mrs. Ryan!) shouldn't be forced from their home in order to protect the health of their children. They may not resent having to do that but I resent it for them! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't mind the NYE fireworks but I really don't feel people should be forced into a position of spending a fair chunk of change (which so many can't afford) to travel to protect their health. That said...I have no answers to the fireworks situation and I do know the PZ family enjoys their time on the BI.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Ryan (and Mrs. Ryan!) shouldn't be forced from their home in order to protect the health of their children. They may not resent having to do that but I resent it for them! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't mind the NYE fireworks but I really don't feel people should be forced into a position of spending a fair chunk of change (which so many can't afford) to travel to protect their health. That said...I have no answers to the fireworks situation and I do know the PZ family enjoys their time on the BI.
                I agree. Why should anybody be driven out of their home because their neighbor has no consideration for their neighbors?

My next door neighbor moved in (related to high police official) and the first New Years they set of some massive explosions. The charge that launched the bomb was louder than any other fireworks in the area. The bomb itself rattled windows all over the neighbor hood.

My wife spent that time in bed with the pillows over her head crying because of the noise.

Talk to them? They were so drunk I don’t think I could have said anything to make them stop. Also I was a little afraid they might become violent.

Call the police? What officer is going to do anything about the bosses relatives?

Fortunately the main guy behind that moved out, but the other family members continue with smaller but still illegal fireworks. Still a nuisance but a little more tolerable.

My solution … When you buy fire works you don’t get to take them home. They are held at a secure location. You then go to the designated park where you are given your fireworks only when it is legal to shoot them off. You must burn them at the park and if any are left afterwards you lose them.

Burning fire works anyplace other than the designated parks would be illegal and it would also be easier to police.

If that does not work then ban them altogether.
                "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                Ayn Rand

Comment

The whole illegal aerial things will still be there if there is buyers, there will be sellers. supply and demand basically.

if people want to know how aerials are brought into the state, easy. The guys that bring em in are the people whit pyro technician license. They can buy these aerials since they are licensed to do shows etc. When you bring them in, you need a space that as adequate storage which they have. basically, pryo guy tells vendor, i am doing NYE show, i need alot of aeerials. So then vendor sells to license pyro guy, pyro guy then has his group of sellers that makes these lists and sells them on the black market.

probally the people on your block with the most illegal fireworks will most likely be HPD or hpd related along with people that have access to these fireworks lists.. I herd of a few HPD going in and meeting up the sellers and buying illegal fireworks in uniform for personal use.

They should honestly band those foundtains and morning glorys, those are the WORST ever. Smoke Makers we call them.

Comment

To effectively ban the aerials, we need to understand how they are getting in and then craft laws that specifically target that abuse and follow it with enforcement.

However, it might be about as effective as the laws on scrap copper. They crafted laws, followed it with enforcement, and I don't think the problem went away until the price fell.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      To effectively ban the aerials, we need to understand how they are getting in and then craft laws that specifically target that abuse and follow it with enforcement.
                      Lack of enforcement becomes a problem itself. Such as is discussed on the looooonng HT thread about the no smoking law. For thought, is a law with no enforcement worse than no law at all?
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

hi this is sansei and since i once voted,i'd still say no,dont ban firework's is this is a tradition and it'll help our economy and without this,they would have to think of another way to help celebrate new year's so i'd say no.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

On KITV4 Web Site
                          http://www.kitv.com/news/18474981/de...s=hon&psp=news

HPD Chief Wants Total Fireworks Ban For Oahu
                          Correa Says Time Right For Ban Despite Lawmakers Previous Decisions

"HONOLULU -- Honolulu's police chief on Tuesday renewed a push for a complete ban on fireworks on Oahu.

Chief Boisse Correa made his case after many illegal aerials rocketed over the island on another New Year's Eve.

A similar push for a ban at the state Legislature eight years ago came close to passing. Correa said he thinks now is the right time.

"We've had a lot more complaints by the community by different groups involving animals, mentally ill, mentally challenged individuals," Correa said.

The chief said he feels things have reached a threshold and that enough is enough."

Ban New Years Fireworks? I look forward to it!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The HPD seems to be partially to blame for the matters.
                            They say they can't effectively control the illegal participants, (some of whom are HPD officers...), but I find this impossible to believe. I don't think they want to.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              The HPD seems to be partially to blame for the matters.
                              They say they can't effectively control the illegal participants, (some of whom are HPD officers...), but I find this impossible to believe. I don't think they want to.
                              Cash is KING!

Ever wonder why the Ice problem is soo bad in Hawaii and it never seems to get cleaned up?

Not all HPD is bad, there are a few good people. I too wanted to become HPD and got fairly far in the process but after finding out some stuffs, I didn't want to.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not a fan of HPD, even tho there are some good officers. It just seems to be corrupt, and there's certainly plenty of bad attitude, to say the least.

I can't imagine Boise's statements in the paper today about outlawing the whole fireworks thing is going to have any effect if they can't even manage the manini stuff happening right under their noses.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X