Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
    I gotta say I was impressed with Kailua's enthusiasm for fireworks. I've never seen anything remotely like it. And I mean REMOTELY!!![...]
    I'd be concerned for anyone with respiratory issues [...]I was amazed at how much money people must have spent. Some must have literally spent thousands of dollars.[...]
    This morning I expected there to be fireworks paper a foot deep. I didn't see but just a little.

I loved it.
    Welcome to your first NYE in Hawaii, Jim, and I'm happy you liked it 'cuz what are your options other than gettin' the heck outta Dodge?! Come to think of it, that's what PZ does because his 3 keiki all have breathing issues.

I don't mind the fireworks but as I mentioned before, the amount of money spent on them by so many who can't afford it is staggering. And then there are the safety issues. Still, I really did enjoy both the ATM and the amateur shows from my window while not having to deal with the smoke or the noise. The drive home was another story!

I'm very surprised you didn't find more FW trash. I spent NYE in Hauula one year and the entire street was a sea of red paper the next morning. A snow plow woulda helped!

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
      I grew up in Hawaii a 2nd-generation Japanese-American, so I played with a LOT of fireworks growing up. I'd lean towards a ban only because fireworks aren't as much fun to me anymore, and I'd rather have the peace and quiet.

Sure, the kids nowadays won't get to enjoy the same childhood I did growing up, but hell, I never had a Playstation 3.
      OR Wii, for that matter.
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Illegal, yet Kahului was boomin from all angles, way more than last year. We had our own fireworks show in every direction. So much smoke was like I stay WAIPAHU, or KALIHI, but was only Kahului, just like when HC&S burn cane on one day that no more wind ..
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
          suggestion of designated areas to have fireworks free-for-alls might be among the best and most balanced solutions.
          It's certainly worth a shot (no pun intended). But I think you'd need one in each major area. No one is going to travel across the island to get to "the one".

However, you'd still have to have a strategy to go after the ones that still do it where they shouldn't. Either it's going to take more enforcement then we've ever seen before, or it's going to take community pressure to shut them down.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Come to think of it, that's what PZ does because his 3 keiki all have breathing issues.
            Yep. Alex's first New Year's was spent in the emergency room. After that, it's been off-island, every year. Not that we need much of an excuse to take a trip to the Big Island.

There are still fireworks on the Big Island, mind you, and probably even worse in some "Wild West" areas where the pyrotechnics can get frighteningly big. But we rent vacation rentals in Volcano Village where, if you're lucky, you're 1,000 yards from the nearest neighbor. This year, we went to bed at 8:30 p.m., and there wasn't a sound, apart from the rain and the crackle of our fireplace.

Yes, there's vog, and it was especially bad this year. And my wife feels it in her lungs. Crater Rim Drive was closed, so we drove down to the coast instead... and no one was in much of a mood to hike in that air. Overall, though, the reaction to vog is nothing at all compared to what we felt in Honolulu, where -- even with all the windows closed, and fans and filters running at full power -- I thought we'd suffocate or cough ourselves to death. All at the hands of neighbors who we otherwise like.

Comment

It was louder this year in our area of the North Shore, but I'm sure nothing like what you all experience in the more populated areas.

My friend (an ED nurse) was driving home after her shift ended at 2400; drove slowly toward Ewa from Aiea due to thick smoke. Got pulled over by Honolulu's finest and checked that she was not drunk. She says it was due to driving slowly...not any weaving about. Oh, and she said they did treat quite a few fireworks-related injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                we rent vacation rentals in Volcano Village where, if you're lucky, you're 1,000 yards from the nearest neighbor.
                Did you happen to run into any (present or former ) HT members?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

In addition to safety concerns, there is also the environmental factor that needs to be considered.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28514008

Apparently, air quality was better than the previous New Year. I'd be in favor of severely limiting fireworks, or even banning them altogether, in the interests of public health and safety, as well as for the environment.

Personally, I don't care for fireworks, I'd rather have the relatively quiet calm of the environment as it is. So I am a bit biased.

Comment

And then there's this...

...as noted in the op-eds today - that war vets, especially those just back, have a real hard time with pops and explosions.

It's time those that can't seem to live without the bangs booms and pows grow up. There is no legitimate reason to continue with this foolishness.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I noticed a few differences this year. For one, the illegal aerials were more spectacular than I've ever seen it. I figure some household s must have spent thousands. I also noticed that there were almost no fireworks on New Years Day, or any day after that (at least where I've been). The ambience in general for this holiday season was a bit more subdued. New Years was no exception. It seems everyone was on a tight budget, even if it mean blowing things up. When it was over, it was over.

I've never been against fireworks until this year, when a few a_s_oles kept setting off those cherry bombs outside my condo. Some were going off at 3 a.m. prior to New Years Eve. It's only a matter of time before someone really gets hurt walking by when it goes off on the sidewalk somewhere. At the very least, the bombs have to go. Period!

Comment

KEEP FIREWORKS!

BAN fireworks abuse.

Fireworks don't cause problems, PEOPLE MISUSING fireworks causes problems.
                        But how do you enforce the law???
                        We don't need new laws, we can't even enforce the ones we have.
                        I called HPD to ID the name/address of someone shooting illegal aerials... they never came. They don't care.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          KEEP FIREWORKS!

BAN fireworks abuse.

Fireworks don't cause problems, PEOPLE MISUSING fireworks causes problems.
                          But how do you enforce the law???
                          We don't need new laws, we can't even enforce the ones we have.
                          I called HPD to ID the name/address of someone shooting illegal aerials... they never came. They don't care.
                          The only problem is you can't stop the abuse unless you get rid of the merchandise. I think the only effective compromise would be to re-legalize some of the aerial stuff, but ban the bombs and bigger aerial displays, and enforce the damn law! That way, you'll satisfy the masses and minimize the danger. To me, this won't make everyone happy, but it's a compromise.

Fact is, the authorities know when and where this stuff is, but it's big money. I mean, common! If dogs can sniff out bombs and tiny fragments of ice residue in a shipping container, they can find tons of aerials a mile away. It's big money not only for the "insiders", but for the economy as well. For example, I know for a fact that raids on many gambling houses are staged.

Comment

Those that wish to irritate, and worse, those around them by setting off firecrackers and ariels, should have a special place from which to do it.

Guess where I'd suggest...
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                              Those that wish to irritate, and worse, those around them by setting off firecrackers and ariels, should have a special place from which to do it.

Camden, New Jersey?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post

Iraq.
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X