Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    The HPD seems to be partially to blame for the matters.
    They say they can't effectively control the illegal participants, (some of whom are HPD officers...), but I find this impossible to believe. I don't think they want to.
    Like I stated, HPD is allowing the contraband to go through. Keep the legal ones legal and enforce current law. The paperless firecrackers are a lot less noisy and don't cause nearly as much of a disturbance. They also don't leave much residue or paper garbage. If HPD only does what it's supposed to, then Boisse wouldn't be pushing for a Ban.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Ryan (and Mrs. Ryan!) shouldn't be forced from their home in order to protect the health of their children.
      Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
      I agree. Why should anybody be driven out of their home because their neighbor has no consideration for their neighbors?
      Okay, I also agree, but like tutusue said, Ryan and his ‘ohana were not forced to do what they did... they wanted to. My question was why more people don’t follow his lead, not whether or not they should. At the very least, it supports your local airlines and the outer island economies!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        Okay, I also agree, but like tutusue said, Ryan and his ‘ohana were not forced to do what they did... they wanted to. My question was why more people don’t follow his lead, not whether or not they should. At the very least, it supports your local airlines and the outer island economies!
        What I thought I said was that they were forced to leave their home to protect the health of their children. That was a NEED. They found a place on the BI that kills 2 birds with one stone...that is, protects the keiki AND gives them some time on their island of choice. That is a WANT! Still, NO ONE should be forced from their home to protect their health from fireworks.

For those who cannot remain at home for health reasons, an outer island trip is a very nice solution. However, the affordability is not an option for so many people...esp. in our current economy. The current fireworks situation is terribly unfair to those people.

Comment

I just got back from Honolulu and my first New Years Eve there in a few years - I oppose a ban for several reasons:
          1 It won't work
          2 It criminalizes behavior that has been taking place for over 50 years
          3 It only happens once a year
          4 I like the fireworks and the local parties that accompany the fireworks

Paul valenti

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Valenti View Post
            It only happens once a year.
            Ahem. Try twice. Fourth of July ring a bell? And the fireworks don't just happen on the day of the holiday, they quite often start a week or so in advance, and last a few days afterwards.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ok twice - and, yes they do start early - but, so what! There are still over 350 days a year when it doesn't happen and it has been a part of Hawaii's tradition for over half a century. But, most importantly, it really doesn't matter because a lot of people - mostly people who were not born on the Island - have been trying to get fireworks banned in Hawaii for years - it has never worked and it will never work unless we want to have cops in ever yvalley from kalihio to niu and then some - and that probably wouldn't work because there are a logt of local cops who feel the way I do as well. There are far too many really important things to focus on than trying to stop something like fireworks in Hawaii. And, that's MY story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Ahem. Try twice. Fourth of July ring a bell? And the fireworks don't just happen on the day of the holiday, they quite often start a week or so in advance, and last a few days afterwards.
                And for Chinese New Year. And after any close football games, especially in Ewa Beach after September.

Ok twice - and, yes they do start early - but, so what!
                Thanks for your sympathy. Maybe next New Year's you could start with my respiratory system at my house, and I'll start somewhere else with clean lungs & clean air.

"It has never worked" is an excuse, not a reason, and usually a starting point for change.
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Lika Nui

Sorry, but you don't have my sympathy - you remind me of the folks who bought condo's in the tower next to Iolani back in the sixties knowing full well that the school played football games next to the Ala Wai and then whined and moaned about the noise and tried to stop the games. The same attitude affected the fools who sued the state so that they could build luxury homes in Royal Gardens despite being warned that it was a lava flow plain - and then tried to sue again after Madame Pele destoyed their homes. Fireworks have long been a part of Hawaii's culture - a decidely Asian culture - and the fact that a lot of newcomers don't happen to like it fails to move me in the same way that efforts to ban chicken fighting fails to move me. It has never worked because despite all the complaining - most people - local people - still use fireworks, still want to use fireworks, and are unlikely to stop just because someone tries to ban them. Finally, I can think of at least a dozen other issues that are both far more importand and far more likely to contribute Hawaii's quality of life than the fireworks issue - wasting time on manini stuff distracts us from solving serious problems like the high cost of living, the lousy schools, the the poverty of most Native Hawaiians, and the corruption in high places that infect many parts of Hawaii. Finally, in regard to your lungs and the air - I suppose you drive a car?

With respect,

Paul Valenti - Kamaaiana Portague Haole

Comment

Lika Nui
                    Um, I think you meant Nords, not me.
                    But I'll still answer part of your post:

Fireworks have long been a part of Hawaii's culture
                    Sure. But face it, it's just kids taking advantage of a chance to make noise. Ask any of 'em what the cultural significance is.
                    It's like when I encounter the young Rasta wannabe's and their Jawaiian pseudo-reggae music. They've got the dreds, they're wearing the colors... and I like to ask them about the culture (as you say about fireworks) and I ask them to tell me who Haile Selassie was.
                    They have no frickin' idea.
                    They just like the music and da ganja, mon.
                    And kids just like fireworks noise.
                    Nothing cultural about it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

OK - you have a point - part of my argument stems from a visceral reaction to people trying to change the place where I grew up and make it more like the mainland - I hate living on the mainland - I have grown very tired of it here, but I have a 13 year old who still needs her Daddy close - my wife and I are divorced - so, I kind of want some of old Hawaii to be there when I go home again. Actually, I would be quite happy with some sort of compromise that left the local folks in the valley's - Kalihi, Niu, Manoa, and in what's left of the old neighborhoods like Ewa and what used to be Makakilo - pre-California - to have their fireworks without inundating the entire Island with the noise and smoke - I noticed this year that Waikiki was - relatively speaking - a lot less smoky. Still, I remain unalterably opposed to an outright ban everywhere. Regardless of whether or not the youngsters even recognize their heritage in this regard - I still have fond memories, strong lungs and a stubborn streak.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I will ultimately have little to say about how this all plays out - I will just have to go with what develops - but, it has been interesting talking to you. It is almost midnight over here in moldland and I have to work early tomorrow so I am going to have to say - Mahalo and Aloha.

Paul Valenti

Comment

i agree with paul. when i have kids or adopt etc, i will make sure they celebrate new years with fireworks because its what i was brought up with, with my uncles. All my uncles are the same.

If i recall, you light fireworks around your house to shooo away the bad spirits and to start off the new year fresh and with new energy.

Comment

Thanks integlspwr -

As I said, what matters to me is that we don't just ban everything - local folks with keiki's who combine the festivities and fireworks with neighborhood parties bring the community together in a lot of ways - if the tourists and mainlanders want to ban fireworks in Waikiki - where a lot of local people won't even go anymore - that's fine. But, I don't think trying to do that in Makiki, Kalihi, Aina Haina, Niu, Kalani, Ewa, Waipahu or anywhere else that is largely populated by kamaaina residents is workable or desirable - And, as I said, my attitude may not make sense to a lot of people, but for me, it's what I grew up with, I have always looked forward to it, and still don't mind if da kine gets a little messy once or twice a year. Beyond that, I think bans and so-called "zero tolerance" attitudes are a very mainland thing - and I think I have been pretty clear about how I feel about that.

Hele on!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            HPD Chief Wants Total Fireworks Ban For Oahu
                            Correa Says Time Right For Ban Despite Lawmakers Previous Decisions

"HONOLULU -- Honolulu's police chief on Tuesday renewed a push for a complete ban on fireworks on Oahu.

Chief Boisse Correa made his case after many illegal aerials rocketed over the island on another New Year's Eve.

A similar push for a ban at the state Legislature eight years ago came close to passing.
                            Well, it looks like the city may grant Boisse his wish. Charles Djou isn’t waiting around for the state to reconsider a ban. He’s making this a county issue:

A resolution seeking county control over state fireworks regulations advanced through a City Council committee yesterday as councilmembers addressed public outcry over a perceived proliferation of fireworks.
                            Advertisement

The resolution, proposed by City Councilman Charles K. Djou, does not have the force of law but “urges the state Legislature to amend and strengthen the state Fireworks Control Law, by authorizing the counties to adopt laws more stringent than those imposed by the state.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

I think the chief's time would be better spent on other things - I seriously doubt that he has the manpower to effectively enforce a ban anyway. I suspect that the chief has political aspirations - this seems like grandstanding to me.

Comment

Most of us grew up with fireworks, both legal and illegal.
                                So what?
                                We're talking about illegality, along with all the major negatives that go with it that can and does include the loss of life, limb/sight, and property.
                                The bad greatly outweighs the very little good, and that some are nostalgic for noise and pollution as fun is a poor reason for continuing the assault and dangers.
                                Some say eating dog is OK because it's a tradition.
                                I enjoyed playing chicken as a kid, where you seriously risked your life or body parts and the same of others, often innocents. I wouldn't suggest it today..., nor should we keep other tired and hurtful traditions of the past that heavily afflict our neighborhoods.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X