Using a cellphone inside a movie theater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a cellphone inside a movie theater

My new favorite nitwits --- people who use their cellphones for texting or playing games during a movie.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Re: Cellphone users

So are these people tend to be in a group of other people or by themselves?

While I am part of Twitter I normally don't enable the service as a day to day kind of thing. While my cellphone is noramlly on during a movie I don't recieve calls, I think only once did I get a incoming text message during a movie but the notification is kind of brief.

Comment

when folks like that are sitting close to me, I have no problem with telling them to put the phones away. Of course, according to some folks on HT I'm not very nice so I guess that kind of fits my "profile" huh? I just get really tired of stupid inconsiderate folks.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It's the glare of their screens that's bothersome. In the darkness of a theater, it can be blinding. Perhaps they think because they're not "talking" on their cellphones, they're not really using them. If I'm close enough, I just tell 'em they're being rude. It's usually enough.
        Last edited by buzz1941; January 1, 2009, 09:58 PM.
        Burl Burlingame
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

talking on ur cell while ur at the gym RUNNNING on the TREADMILL....

inside i hope to god they trip and hurt themselves.. sorry but they just look plain S.T.U.P.I.D. !!!!!! and it'll teach them right to use their cells in a gym.... shouldnt be allowed !!!
          http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
          http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
          If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Comment

Originally posted by legal_secretary_in_mtl View Post
            and it'll teach them right to use their cells in a gym.... shouldnt be allowed !!!
            Some gyms have rules against having cell phones visible. I think the concern is the built-in cameras. But it doesn't seem to be enforced too well at the one I attend.

Comment

Why all the aggression towards cellphone users? If someone wants to waste their $10 movie ticket by playing with their phone for 2 hours, I'm not mad at them... I feel sorry for them!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

*smiles @ turtlegirl* seeking penance wishes you a happy new year

really is consideration....if you think about it.....no agression whatsoever....yet with the $10.00 I pay I would.....want to watch the movie without distraction..... it is more of a nuisance......

i politely tell them........

happy new year
                stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  Why all the aggression towards cellphone users? If someone wants to waste their $10 movie ticket by playing with their phone for 2 hours
                  Because it distrubes the rest of the audience who paid the same amount of money to watch a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    Because it distrubes the rest of the audience who paid the same amount of money to watch a movie.
                    Exactly. If you wanna play with your cellphone in a movie, sit in the back.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      My new favorite nitwits --- people who use their cellphones for texting during a movie.
                      I must admit & confess to this , my hubby & I were in a movie earlier today, I normally don't answer cellphones, (especially voiced once), but this one perhaps could be different, bu it was only for less than a minute.

My deaf friend asked me what I was doing? I suppose she wanted to hang out with me with other of our friends, so I told her (in short) "Nothing my hubby home today. Now watching a movie", & reply, that she would go with 2 of our friends to ward, then I said. "ok".

Cuz, I know that she would probably keep texting me until I reply, so best to reply & cut the texting to a minimum, & continued watching my movie.

I figure, I try to have an exception since I have a deaf friend, & another that is hard of hearing & they both text me from time to time.

If its not a deaf friend then I would let it go, unless they put a 911 emergency on the text to answer the voice messages that was left for me,
                      then I would step out to listen :-).

Other than that, I would just leave it on vibrate, unlike some other people in the theater who just LOVES to hear their phone ring, with no regards to others around them being in a theater .

PUT IT ON VIBRATE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!. GAWD!!. Don't let it ring loud in a theater !!.
                      Aches & Pains
                      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I was on the bus one day & heard this young man complaining that he didn't like his cell phone because it rang all the time. Guess he didn't realize that all phones have an on/off switch.

Cell phones are a part of our lives now, a necessity for most of us. However, there are times when they should just be turned off - a movie theatre is one of those places.
                        Most of us don't really need to be "connected" 24/7 and we all have voice mail on our phones (or saved text messages). If I can't disconnect myself for the time it takes to watch a movie, then I really need to re-think my life priorities.

Cell phones can be very intrusive and folks can be really rude with their usage. It really does come down to just good manners and common sense. I don't have the right to intrude MY cell phone usage into YOUR space. and the reverse is also true.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

This seems to be a universal problem. It will continue to get much worse, before it gets better, I fear. Even though the theater plays a short film about requesting the cellphones be turned off, ushers don't do anything about the careless offenders. Tell the managers on the way out too! They might ask the ushers to do their jobs.

Another similar thing... I have a wireless internet connection on my laptop, and any microwaves, cellphone airwaves in the next room or my front yard, or the like, cause my computer to sit and stall til the offending radio/mircowaves stop transmitting (don't know if I'm using the right terms, but you get it?) No biggie, usually.

NOW, let's carry that quirky circumstance to a life or death situation: I seemed to spend a lot of time in the hospital emergency rooms last year, with various relatives. All over these ER rooms and at the entrance doors, big signs were requiring cell phones to be turned off, as they interfere with the medical equipment. NO ONE seem to give a care, and just chatted away, and loudly. I was flabbergasted! Would you like to be the one responsible for a life-saving machine to fail, due to your blabbing away about dinner plans with the friend? And what if it was your loved one in jeopardy?

We are morphing into a narcissistic world, where it's all about ME, and each generation gives us a new way to be selfish and inconsiderate. Back to old fashioned values, as we move forward with the boon of technology, please. Manners never go out of style.

Comment

Turn it OFF for a couple of hours. Jeez.

Oh, and there are the people who have their cells on speaker phone and stand there yelling into the phone, generally in a public place, and we can hear both sides of the conversation. Last time I suggested to someone who was doing that that they were being loud, he yelled at me that I was interrupting a private conversation. This was in line at a bank.

On the other hand, people with Bluetooth headsets who walk down the street jabbering and gesturing merely appear crazy.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              On the other hand, people with Bluetooth headsets who walk down the street jabbering and gesturing merely appear crazy.
                              And some of those people aren't even wearing a working earpiece.

Comment

Working...
                              X