Aloha from Orange County, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha from Orange County, CA

Thanks, Cyleet... now you got me scared. I don't mind my Orchids and other Pua in pots and all, but like to grow my food in the ground. Is all the Islands' dirt like that? I need to check it out better. I mean, I gotta grow my veg and some fruits, hmm? It's all about the kau kau.

SB

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
      [...]I gotta grow my veg and some fruits, hmm?[...]
      During my single family home days I had prolific papaya, mango and avocado trees. I never did have any luck with a veggie garden but, to be honest, I never had a green thumb! Maybe Turtlegirl can chime in!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        You need to make a "bigger noise," I'd guess. (Music joke. Someone here is bound to get it. Even if the song is about the town in Illinois.)
        It cracks me up--I'll call someplace to, say, order something, and they can't say Winnetka (California), but I had someone ask me once if it was the Winnetka in Illinois...and they said it perfectly, but stumbled over it in California--which makes NO sense, I know, but it's happened twice! HA! I love telling people I live in Winnetka, then watch their faces. These are people who live here in the Valley and have no idea where I'm talking about! Hey, our New Year's midnight was celebrated with some kids setting off "dud" fireworks in the street...Winnetka's the place to be, folks! Tee Hee!!

Comment

HM, I think Leo was referring to the Big Band era song called "Big Noise From Winnetka." They use this song a lot in movies... I love big band music, 'cause I'm old enough to remember those B/W musical movies. So fine!

Our New Years was peppered with the typical gunshots; the dog ran under the desk, and I was amazed no one at the fiestas was killed. Lolo!

Comment

HM, I think Leo was referring to the Big Band era song called "Big Noise From Winnetka." They use this song a lot in movies... I love big band music, 'cause I'm old enough to remember those B/W musical movies. So fine!
            Ding! Ding! Ding! We have our winner! Here's a video from Bing Crosby's brother, Bob. Bassist Kyle Eastwood has recorded it more recently, with his famous father, Clint, doing the whistling part.

Comment

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have our winner! Here's a video from Bing Crosby's brother, Bob. Bassist Kyle Eastwood has recorded it more recently, with his famous father, Clint, doing the whistling part.
              Mahalo, Leo, have not seen that in decades... one handsome Crosby! I love that music. Seems so comforting. Of course, most music is...

SB

Comment

FINALLY, something that is older than I am!!! That's at least a decade before I was born, and I've never heard of the song, but what a riot to watch!

I do remember Bob Crosby on TV, and he was very handsome! "Love That Bob"!

Comment

[...]Here's a video from Bing Crosby's brother, Bob. [...]
                  Love that! And love the bassist/drummer "duet"!
                  Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
                  [...]
                  I do remember Bob Crosby on TV, and he was very handsome! "Love That Bob"!
                  Pssst...HawaiiMama? "Love That Bob" is Bob Cummings! But, yes, Bob Crosby was very good looking!

I love that era...maybe 'cuz I remember it!

Comment

I don't really even know which island I would move to, as I have lots more visiting to do first. Each one seems to have some very good places to live. I like to grow things, so I need a small bit of dirt to do that on. Housing costs are same or cheaper than in OC where I live now.

I'll be retired, from nothing, just retired. And I promise not to be a burden on the State, or wreck anything that's natural, or pollute, or damage an ecosystem.... See, I'm pretty much a treehugger, and like to just hang loose. I will make the smallest footprints that I can, and give more than I take.
                    Aloha snowbird!! I used to live in North Hollywood, and I don't really miss it all that much anymore. Rent expenses have actually been slightly less here than we were paying in LA. Food expenses, though...don't get me started!

I'm retired too, but by accident...not enough work here in my field...and I gotta say, Hawaii is a great place to be retired!!

I've been growing lots of stuff sucessfully here. Papaya trees that I planted from seeds are now about 2 feet tall. We've grown tomatoes, peas, turnips, butternut squash, maui onions, lettuce, carrots, peppers, and eggplants. Artichokes, too, but they are growing veeeeery sloooowly. Tomatoes and eggplants have been growing like weeds!! All of these we planted right in the ground with a little potting soil thrown in to help out.

My friend on the Big Island had to make raised beds to do his planting - can't dig into lava rock - and his garden veggies are tastier and grow faster than mine. Wonder why.

Hooray for tree hugging!!

~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      "Love That Bob" is Bob Cummings! But, yes, Bob Crosby was very good looking!

I love that era...maybe 'cuz I remember it!
                      I used to watch "love that Bob" every morning; he was cute too! Yikes! I must be oldest here, 1951?

Oh, yeah, Turtle girl, then you know Cali soil is mostly clay, and needs a lot of amendments added for a good garden. I just like to grow what I like to eat, and a few fruit trees help me out too. Your garden sounds almost identical to mine... no Maui onions. Saw some seeds a few days ago at Hilo Hattie's store, but I had too many clearance shirts on my arms to grab me a pack. Those were hard to start anyways.

I retired by accident too! I rolled my Jeep on in AZ, while out on a rock collecting adventure, with no medical insurance. I was too poor to buy some health ins., and too rich to get welfare ins... ahh! but at least I'm alive! lol! More than I can say for that Jeep.

Ok to PM you for a few tips on my sluggish Papaya plants? When I was in coastal San Diego, it all grew so much easier. New learning curves, good times.

SB

Comment

Yikes! I must be oldest here, 1951?
                        Nope, you're not. I think the oldest might be the rarely seen Albert, who is older than dirt.
                        I'm a 1951 too, so you're not alone there.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Nope, you're not. I think the oldest might be the rarely seen Albert, who is older than dirt.
                          How does 1947 grab you ?

Comment

[...]Yikes! I must be oldest here, 1951?[...]
                            Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Originally posted by Barry View Post
                            How does 1947 grab you ?
                            You're all a buncha youngsters! Albert has me beat by only a coupla years. That makes me older than dirt, too!

Comment

You're all a buncha youngsters! Albert has me beat by only a coupla years. That makes me older than dirt, too!
                              Us whippersnappers take a bow. X

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                                How does 1947 grab you ?
                                I dunno. That's four years before my time, you old geezer.

Albert has me beat by only a coupla years.
                                You mean a coupla decades, don't you?
                                (By the way, I'm just teasing Albert in an attempt to draw him out of the woodwork.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X