Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Israel vs Hamas

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    There have been hundreds, if not thousands of "true gods" in the history of mankind. The majority of people with a religious belief today consider those gods to be false. As an atheist, I merely take it one step further, and include the "god" of the present day among them.
    Meh. It still comes down to one's belief. I believe in a one true god. You believe there isn't.

It is the superstitious fallacy of a supreme being that is at the root of most of the world's conflicts. And that will never change.
    A big fallacy, true. But a very good motivational tool.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      I'm going to disagree with this. Hamas is getting great mileage out of the Israeli military offensive. Hamas has already won, when you see the pictures of the dead and injured coming out of Gaza. Firing rockets into Israel is not a military tactic but a political strategy. Hamas strategy is working brilliantly. Israel has taken the bait and will come out the loser in the long run.

I am not siding with either the Palestinians or the Israelis...there is plenty of blame to go around. But in my opinion, Hamas is making great strides to gain nationhood by firing rockets into Israel. Again, not saying it's right, just saying it is.
      That is unfortunate. It's like I can annoy you by continuously poking my finger into your cheek until you can't take it no more and start throwing blows.

*pokes*

Too bad Israel don't have a real-life Ignore button.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

this piece from salon.com offers a thought experiment and an opinion faceted differently than others i've seen.

Ironically, there is a much more freewheeling debate about Israel's policies in Israel's superb newspaper Haaretz than there is any American paper. In a searing recent piece in the paper, "And there lie the bodies," Gideon Levy argued that Israel's indifference to Palestinian casualties is a sign of a collective moral collapse. "The moral voice of restraint, if it ever existed, has been left behind. Even if Israel wiped Gaza off the face of the earth, killing tens of thousands in the process, as a Chechnyan laborer working in Sderot proposed to me, one can assume that there would be no protest," Levy wrote. No such piece could ever appear in any mainstream American publication.

Israel deserves lasting security. But it cannot kill its way into it. It may succeed in temporarily reducing the number of homemade rockets that Hamas fires into southern Israel. It may kill some Hamas leaders and militants and set back Hamas. As Benn notes, the Israeli assault has extremely modest strategic aims, and is merely intended to buy time: It is just "another one of Israel's long list of cross-border operations."
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Perhaps not, but it is certainly a worthy ideal to strive for.....and there are some situations where everyone comes out a winner. It does happen.
          The reality of it all is that it won't. And it's not because of "our" attititude. It's because of "theirs". We need to stick with reality and go from there, not dwell on fantasy.

Comment

It is the superstitious fallacy of a supreme being that is at the root of most of the world's conflicts. And that will never change.
            This is highly incorrect. On the surface it seems to be so, but it really isn't. It's in man's carnal nature to screw things up. Take nuclear power for example. It's a wonderful source of free energy to sustain and increase the quality of life. But what do we do? We use it to create the most terrible weapon to end life.

We have a wonderful democratic government founded on Christian principles. Whatta we do? We kick God from our schools and government and erode justice in court system and not hold politicians accountable for corruption.

Don't blame God for our woes. Blame ourselves. Organized religion is just a platform for the corrupt. Think about it. If Allah was God, why would he need a little girl to blow herself up to kill infidels? Would Allah really need their help? Some God, huh?

Radical Islam only serves to make people right in their own minds. People want to be right, so they kill others to prove their point. That is why organized sports is so important to society. This is why soccer games create so much violence, because people must win all the time. It's all about self. "Self" is god, and gods are never wrong.

If you don't believe in god, just look in the mirror.
            Last edited by Bobinator; January 7, 2009, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
              And it's not because of "our" attititude. It's because of "theirs".
              B, with this kind of attitude, we will never achieve world peace. This is sad. The view expressed is not one that the Christian community says it stands for. Jesus cannot be happy with Christians who repudiate everything he taught.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

We kick God from our schools and government
                Whoa, whoa, whoa......that was the founding fathers who did that. Separation of church and state and all that kind of "liberal" stuff. Why do people try to re-write history?

Don't blame God for our woes. Blame ourselves. Religion is just a platform for the corrupt.
                BINGO! We got a winner! THAT was the point of Leo's post!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Mr. B, I am sure you believe in your Christian faith, but do you really think this is the way Jesus would view the situation. "What would Jesus do?" Did Jesus bring a gun to a gun fight or did he turn the other cheek? Think about what you have written and ask yourself, "Is this the Christian I really want to be?"

Thank you with sincerity.
                  Jesus never said to be a fool and a pacifist. He never said to let our enemies overrun us and kill our women and children. That would be wholly irresponsible. Hey, read the Old Testament. God led the Israelites into battle. Which Jesus do you beleive in?

Comment

If you don't believe in god, just look in the mirror.
                    My uaifi says that I must think she is a goddess because whenever I cook for her, all I serve is burnt offerings!

Comment

B, with this kind of attitude, we will never achieve world peace. This is sad. The view expressed is not one that the Christian community says it stands for. Jesus cannot be happy with Christians who repudiate everything he taught.
                      Jesus said he didn't come to bring peace, but a sword.

Comment

My uaifi says that I must think she is a goddess because whenever I cook for her, all I serve is burnt offerings!
                        Now that's funny!

Comment

Which Jesus do you beleive in?
                          The one that was the progressive pragmatist. BTW, Jesus repudiated the Old Testament.

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa......that was the founding fathers who did that. Separation of church and state and all that kind of "liberal" stuff. Why do people try to re-write history?
                            I wonder about this myself. If you study history, you'll find that the separation of church and state is not in the Constitution. It was stated in a letter written by Thomas Jefferson, reassuring a member of Congress that despite the differences in Christian denominations shared amongst congressmen, that votes would be cast for the betterment of this country, and not to benefit any particular Christian denomination.

Sadly, most of our country has re-written history on this matter. Go check things out for yourself.

Comment

Jesus said he didn't come to bring peace, but a sword.
                              Isn't that the attitude you are criticizing the radical Muslims of? Maybe, takes one to know one.

This is fun, but I do really need to run and make some financial offerings at the altar of Costco. I will take communion of hot dog and soft drink while there.

Oh, one last thing, blessed are the peacemakers for they shall inherit the kingdom of god. Peace, brah.

Comment

The one that was the progressive pragmatist. BTW, Jesus repudiated the Old Testament.
                                Strike three!

Matthew 5:17- "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Comment

Working...
                                X