Would like a recipe for Hawaiian Happy Cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like a recipe for Hawaiian Happy Cakes

Oh, I know it's a closely guarded family and trade secret.... but there has to be someone who has a similar tasting delightful concoction to these costly cakes? No one on any web sites has this recipe...

I mean, if they can crack Mrs. Fields Cookies recipe, and the 11 herbs and spices of the Colonel. Well, sure would love some help here.

Mahalo, SB

Re: Would like a recipe for Hawaiian Happy Cakes

We have something in common, We are looking for the Hawaiian Happy Cake recipe. I have looked high and low. The restaurant in Wahiawa that owns the recipe is tight liped and has likley financial investment in the happycake.com to order the cakes at a heafty $34.00.

I am waiting on a fabulous AND CHEAP cookbook to arrive that may have the recipe in it. If it does..SUPER! If it doesn't it has some of the most fabulous cake recipes around and if ordered used from amazon.

Book is James McNair's Cakes

Comment

So this was all I could find:

Hawaiian Happy Cake

1 package yellow cake mix
      1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple
      2 eggs
      1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
      1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix
      1 cup milk (not low-fat)
      1 9-ounce carton frozen dessert topping, thawed
      Flaked coconut
      Chopped nuts
      Drain pineapple; add water to juice to make 11/2 cups liquid. Add to cake mix with eggs; beat well. Pour into greased and floured 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until middle of cake is set. Cool. Combine cream cheese, pudding mix, milk and pineapple; mix well. Spread on cooled cake. Top with dessert topping, then sprinkle with coconut and nuts. Refrigerate.

But somehow I doubt that's it...

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Hi I'm looking for a recipe for Happy Cake too. the one previously posted is definitely not it. There was a fabulous picture of it in the current Hawaiian airlines magazine. What I've been doing is looking for a great recipe for pineapple macadamia nut cake and then plan to add coconut,and put some kind of clear glaze on top (because that's what the picture looks like). it doesnt' have any icing. it's in bundt form.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          So this was all I could find: {YUMMMYYYYY looking...says SB} But somehow I doubt that's it...
          Thanks, SG... I found quite a few with toppings and frostings... not the same as the original (which, BTW, I have NEVER even tasted. Jealous, I am...)

Marya... "great recipe for pineapple macadamia nut cake and then plan to add coconut,and put some kind of clear glaze on top"...YES!! this is exactly what I found this week, when an in-law from Montana showed up with a laptop full of 100,000 recipes. She made me hand write it out, and I proceeded to lose the page temporarily. It's just missing the coconut.

SO I went out, and bought all the ingredients, and just need to find (besides that paper with her recipe) my springform pan... no worries, I'll do it this week. We did argue already on the proper ways to whack-whack the coconut. My chef daughter had brought home a pineapple from her culinary school, and the macadamias are in the backyard waiting... stay tuned!

Zit doctor... James McNair, eh? Don't have this one yet.... I sell a million three cookbooks on eBay, too. Bought a grip of them this week, as I had no response before now to my plaintive needs for tropical goodness: three Sam Choys, a Hawaiian fruits book, two from some unknowns, and a bunch from eBay (I'm their best customer!). None of the books which arrived have anything remotely close to the genuine Hawaiian Happy Cake.

What I DO know.... this secret is not so secret that the Sunshine State, with the OTHER Orange County...hmmph! well, they have almost the exact cakes for sale online. I put this search in: "tropical cake macadamia pineapple coconut", and viola! NO recipe, just the replica Florida cakes for sale.... ew! no! Not da kine.... almost!

I will post my recipe here, if it's ok to do so?? And if anybody else wants it, I'll ask my ex-sis-in-law who gave up this treat; she didn't say the author's name, but has the info. Then we can bake it, and compare?

Has anyone actually had one of these cakes, and likes them? Enquiring minds...

Thanks so much for responding, you guys!!! I love cake. I love Hawaii. I love to be happy.

Comment

Smacking my blonde head! I forgot I re-typed this recipe into my WP program... 'cause I'd lose it! yup! Here we go, untried, and minus the coconut and glaze.

Hawaiian Pineapple Macadamia Nut Cake

¼ c butter, softened
            ¾ c light brown sugar, packed
            2 eggs, beaten
            1 ¾ c flour
            2 t baking powder
            ¼ t baking soda
            ½ t salt
            ¾ c macadamia nuts, chopped
            1 c shredded fresh Hawaiian pineapple with juice

Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.

Stir nuts into butter mixture. Stir half the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, then add the pineapple and stir well.

Add remaining flour mixture, and beat to a smooth consistency. Turn batter into a greased springform pan, bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for an hour. Test with toothpick.

Makes 12 servings

12 servings? Really? No, seriously, this sounds like it should be doubled first. Anyone want try? I figure a good 3/4 cup of medium shred coconut might be enough? As for Marya's glaze? Take some leftover pineapple juice, add some sugar at a 2 to 1 ratio maybe, bring to a boil, and after it cools, drizzle atop your creation? Sound about right? I'll take mine plain.

If anyone else can come up with a recipe, please send it along too. Now, if you should happen to need a Poke recipe? I got plenty.

Comment

Hi All,
              I just got the "James McNair's Cakes cookbook. It is a fabulous cookbook for cakes. One of the best I have seen, but no Hawaiian Happy Cake recipe..

If anyone does try the "Hawaiian Pineapple Macadamia Nut Cake" recipe let me know. From what I have tasted as well as seen it looks close. It might be "Mrs. Fields close"

Comment

Sorry about the Hawaiian Sad Cake posting. Your other recipe, the right one, looks really good. I think I'll have to try it out once I get back to Texas and have the proper pans and such for baking again. If anyone else tries it, let us know how it turns out!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                  Sorry about the Hawaiian Sad Cake posting. Your other recipe, the right one, looks really good. I think I'll have to try it out once I get back to Texas and have the proper pans and such for baking again. If anyone else tries it, let us know how it turns out!
                  Yeah, thanks, SG.... You know, I bought all the ingredients for it, and then couldn't find my pans. I will try it tomorrow, as soon as I research the proper way to safely open a fresh coconut. The way I do it now is scary: smack hard with the hammer. Shell goes everywhere. Same for the macs, if they don't just roll away first.... I qualify for a cooking comedy, with 3 stooges antics sometimes.

When I do get this baked, I will take photos and pretend I know how to upload a picture of it... more research!

Zitdoctor, glad you like your McNair book. I will have to buy one. But the 4 Sam Choys this month put me in the poorhouse. And NO Happy Cake in any! That Sam, he does have great recipes, and I will try some soon.

Four rainy days ahead, plenty good weather to be baking cakes. Thank you all for the help. Aloha, sb

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                    Yeah, thanks, SG.... You know, I bought all the ingredients for it, and then couldn't find my pans. I will try it tomorrow, as soon as I research the proper way to safely open a fresh coconut. The way I do it now is scary: smack hard with the hammer. Shell goes everywhere. Same for the macs, if they don't just roll away first.... I qualify for a cooking comedy, with 3 stooges antics sometimes.
                    HAHA.. I can just picture the scene with the coconut and the mac nuts! I hope you're not trying to crack fresh mac nuts My wife and i gave her dad a sack of those "hardest nuts to crack" one year and he jokingly cursed us out about a week later. He said he had to use vise grips to crack them lol. As for the coconut, my first attempt was successful with the back side of a chef knife
                    -kp!

Comment

I would love to try some of these recipes but there is no way I can get Mac nuts in England. My friends on Oahu who have been here send me small packages containing Choc covered Mac nuts and Kona coffee >>> these are things I would die for.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                        I would love to try some of these recipes but there is no way I can get Mac nuts in England. My friends on Oahu who have been here send me small packages containing Choc covered Mac nuts and Kona coffee >>> these are things I would die for.
                        Try Harrod's.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                          HAHA.. I can just picture the scene with the coconut and the mac nuts! I hope you're not trying to crack fresh mac nuts My wife and i gave her dad a sack of those "hardest nuts to crack" one year and he jokingly cursed us out about a week later. He said he had to use vise grips to crack them lol. As for the coconut, my first attempt was successful with the back side of a chef knife
                          KP, what do you consider "fresh"? I am going to use store-bought pieces right now, as it's raining here, and if macs go flying everywhere, the dogs will eat them... poisonous to dogs! I have a 5+ pound crop each year on a small tree.

The coconut opening went better than expected. Only two stooges were necessary; the third one watched with trepidation. All went well until I had to grate it. One bloody knuckle was worth it. We had two coconuts, and one was obviously too under-ripe. Who knew? I did some web research on the entire process, but should have done it before I bought them. Now I will know: purchase the darkest shell you can find.

Two have provided over 4 cups of shreds, with a few nibbles from the stooges and their dogs.

Moving on to the rest of the process: pineapple decapitation. I always save the tops, as they make awesome plants, and I do get keiki from them. Eventually!

** Barry, if you can't get them from Harrods, I can send some along, provided the crop is good.

Back to the laboratory! Stay tuned! Aloha

Comment

I shouldn't have said fresh. I meant to say pre-bagged tourist stuff that said Macadamia nuts "the hardest nut to crack" They were light brown in color.
                            -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                              I shouldn't have said fresh. I meant to say pre-bagged tourist stuff that said Macadamia nuts "the hardest nut to crack" They were light brown in color.
                              Oh. Were they in the shell, and sold to tourists? Yeah, any macs in the shell ARE hard to crack. Especially if you plan to have them come out whole.... and folks wonder why they cost so much....

Cake is done, cooling off now. Had to put it into the angel food pan, and that makes me a little nervous. I'm still playing around with how much coconut shreds to add, so I used a cup this time. Maybe too much? We'll see.

Now what do you think if I add in some candied cherries, for color, next time? I happen to fall into the small group of people who actually enjoy fruit cake (my OWN). I love the colorful candied fruit bits. I was wondering if the REAL Happy Cake used fresh or candied pineapple, because the website doesn't say.

OK, back to tweaking my recipe; real Happy Cake uses a 1/2 pound of macs ( they say....) I followed this recipe exactly, for now, and only added the cup of fresh shredded coconut. Think I will increase (double) the nuts, and go to 3/4 c. coconut next batch.

Still cooling. See you in a few hours. Hopefully the cake will not fall apart after it cools, and I remove it from the pan. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X