Bad day on the sandbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad day on the sandbar

Michael W. Perry told his story this morning of taking his family out to the sandbar on Sunday and part way back to the pier, his boat started taking on water quickly. A hose broke and the more he ran the engine, the faster they took on water. The alternative was to stop the engine and sink slower. He opted for the former and made it about 50 yards from shore where they walked the boat in. Members of the Kaneohe women's canoe club saw them and helped tow them to their slip. The canoe club members had attended the Perry & Price Saturday show and were joking aftter they found him that being that they're in Kaneohe, he should name the boat the "Leaky Leaky".

Comment

All boat owners should always carry a supply of tapered wooden plugs of various sizes. They're perfect for putting an immediate end to the problem Michael had.
      BTW, he used to keep his boat just a few slips away from mine, before he got a slip at Kaneohe Yacht Club. Nice man, and a pretty smart boater. He used to use his boat at least once a week and sometimes twice, usually just going out on the bay for a couple of hours by himself, enjoying the peace and quiet.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        And snowbird. I feel ya. I lost a 31' Piver Trimaran due to divorce long ago...

It's Cool I Love My Life!
        Yeah, but Karma called.... The uninsured Hobie burned to the ground at his apartment garage. No, it wasn't me.

BTW, it's boating and racing season now, isn't it? I'll be looking for the new photos you guys post..... safe and happy boating, everyone.

Comment

As of a few hours ago, Aquadelica still sits in her slip, untouched. Still has those black plastic bags stuck in the through-hull fittings down by the waterline. She's sitting low in the stern, like there's water in the engine compartment. Assuming her batteries are dead (there's no electricity on the docks at Heeia Kea) and/or her bilge pumps don't work, all the recent rain may still be aboard. There's concern that she's going to sink in her slip.
          Also, the word from the locals there is that the insurance company has refused to pay for any repairs... as everyone expected. And they say that nobody has been on the boat for months. Must be getting pretty ripe inside! And all that salt must be corroding the heck out of everything. I don't even want to think what the engines and generator are like.
          But wait. There's more!
          Aquadelica was supposed to have moved out of its slip at Heeia Kea last weekend. Obviously it can't move on its own, so a boat was going to tow it to Hawaii Kai... but the towboat ran on the reef in the Sampan Channel in Kaneohe Bay and is high and dry and stuck there for almost a week!!! And the Coast Guard can't find out who owns it.
          The towboat, by the way, looks like a small ancient very rusty old landing craft. Somebody got a piece of junk to tow the Aquadelica piece of junk.
          Who's going to end up paying for towing the derelict towboat and for raising Aquadelica if she sinks in her slip? Most likely... we the taxpayers.

Comment

I've been meaning to post this for a while but got waaay too busy and forgot. Mea culpa.
            Anyway, the good news for all of us boaters here on the windward side is that Aquadelica got towed to Hawaii Kai a few weeks ago. Hallelujah!
            It's now tied up at a dock at someone's home in Hawaii Kai, and the Harbor Patrol folks there are keeping a very close watch on it in case it becomes party central there or in case it sinks again.
            I know Lavagal lives in Hawaii Kai but not sure if any other HTers do. Hopefully someone will pass along info if anything happens...

Comment

I believe 'Aquadelica' is for sale... http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/1443593229.html
              36' Welcraft "The yacht was partially submerged a few months ago right next to the sandbar. The back side of the boat was underwater for approximately 12 hours. The engines were not properly pickled so they don't work any more. I spent $20k on updating the boat and applying a fresh coat of paint on the hull last November. The interior has been partially gutted. The hull itself is in excellent condition."

Nope, don't want it!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Heh. Hehehehe. BWAAAHAHAHA!!!
                And yes, that's definitely Aquadelica. Not worth buying at any price. He should donate it to a charity (if he could find one who'd take it) and he could take the writeoff, although the IRS might disagree with him about its value.
                The ad has a nice photo of it at the sandbar (and I'll try to attach it here). Remember all those complaints about it earlier in this thread? Well, the photo proves the point. Check out the two giant stereo speakers on the bow of the boat! Now you see why almost all the other boats detested them.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  The back side of the boat
                  Very nautical jargon.

Gives me a lot of confidence in the rest of his marine surveyor's appraisal...

So what did the photo subject do after you snapped her picture?
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                    Very nautical jargon. Gives me a lot of confidence in the rest of his marine surveyor's appraisal.
                    No surveyor would ever say that; the words surely must have come from the seller himself, and as I noted way earlier in the thread the boat's owner had zero nautical knowledge or experience.
                    Also, look at the ad again. A surveyor would clearly know that Wellcraft has two L's in the name, not one.
                    But since we're talking about marine surveyors, remember that it can be tricky picking a good one. There are two main "governing bodies" -- NAMS (National Association of Marine Surveyors) and SAMS (Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors). NAMS is the one that requires extensive testing, including rigging a test boat with known problems to see if the applicant will catch them, plus a day-long written test. But the other one, SAMS, only required that you send them an application fee and then BOOM you were an "accredited" surveyor. Maybe that's changed recently, but.

Dunno. The owner took that photo and put it in his ad. I didn't take it, nor did MM. But having encountered Aquadelica at the sandbar numerous times, I can tell you that those "photo subjects" were, um, "professional dancers" who put on quite a show, usually after large quantities of adult beverages.
                    Use your imagination.
                    Last edited by LikaNui; October 29, 2009, 09:45 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo. [/slapping self in the head]

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                      HaHa! I remember what your referencing...

She fell through the deck hatch?!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X