Bad day on the sandbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad day on the sandbar

Gotta be a bad day for someone. A couple of boats with blue blinking lights, a HFD helicopter overhead, and a boat sticking out of the water at a 45 degree angle.

As of nightfall everyone had left. The boat is still there. I guess salvage will have to wait another day.

Nothing on the news that I can see. Hopefully LikaNui has some info.

Re: Bad day on the sandbar

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    Gotta be a bad day for someone. A couple of boats with blue blinking lights, a HFD helicopter overhead, and a boat sticking out of the water at a 45 degree angle.

As of nightfall everyone had left. The boat is still there. I guess salvage will have to wait another day.

Nothing on the news that I can see. Hopefully LikaNui has some info.
    Joe Phillipson was onboard and Twittering/posting photos/video today.

http://twitter.com/JPhilipson
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Dropped his camera the day before, iPhone toast, camera questionable .... boy, he's having a bad day!

Comment

Happy to see that everyone's ok. But...DAYAM...that looks like it was a really nice boat. Then there's the loss of iphones and other equipment...not to mention house and car keys.

Comment

Oh My!
          I wonder where the water came in from?
          Must've been sinking real quick, or they could'a pulled it up higher on the sandbar.
          Can always dig it out later.
          Glad everyone was okay.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            Hopefully LikaNui has some info.
            I hadn't heard anything about it until I found this thread just now, so I don't know what happed to cause this... but I sure do know that boat.
            And I have a lot to say about it.
            If anyone is a friend of the owner, then prepare to get mad at me.
            I'll start by saying that I wasn't surprised in the slightest when I saw which boat it was. I've had to pull that same boat off of reefs not once but twice, and I know other people who have also towed him off.
            He's pissed off everyone at the sandbar numerous times. Every time he goes out, he first blasts by at high speed and the wake from his boat sends every other boat rocking wildly and knocks over anything set up on the sandbar's high spot (chairs, tables, volleyball nets, barbecues, whatever). Worst of all is that he has almost run over children several times! And that's all just as he approaches the sandbar. Almost every time.
            Then he tries to anchor his boat. Note the use of the word "tries." He also insists on trying to take the best spot, no matter how many other boats are already there. He'll try to wedge in between, and usually bumps into other boats in the process. He has zero boat-handling skills, and after several unsuccessful attempts he usually relies on other people to swim over to his boat and anchor it for him.
            Once anchored, the first thing he does is pull out a pair of huuuuuuge stereo speakers and proceeds to turn the volume up to 15 and blast the hell out of everyone within a mile. Then he and his friends proceed to get drunk and be lewd and rude and offensive to everyone else.
            When he finally leaves, he blasts off and his wake shakes everyone else's boats again, and he quite often runs into one of the coral heads as goes back to his slip at Heeia Kea harbor. He keeps his boat there because he was evicted from the first marina he was in when he bought the boat just over one year ago. And he recently ran into another boat while trying to pull into the fuel dock.
            Like I said, if he's a friend of yours I'm sorry, but this guy is a frickin' nightmare and he almost singlehandedly ruined all of last summer at the sandbar. As a matter of fact, if you look back at some of my sandbar photos in the Hawaii Boating Photos thread I'm pretty sure you'll see his boat "Aquadelica" in there.
            It's a shame to see what happened to his boat, but on the other hand I'll bet big money that a whole lot of the sandbar 'regulars' are cheering. Expect to see that photo posted all over town.
            And like my signature line below says...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Maybe someone got fed up and stealthily pulled his transom plug.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                And I have a lot to say about it.
                Wow, what a story, LikaNui. I'd be glad it happened to the captain too, except nice people on the boat got their electronics wet / damaged.

@JPhilipson has a video clip of the wreck. You can see someone helping the captain salvage his flat screen TV (actually I'm assuming it belongs to the captain).
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                  Maybe someone got fed up and stealthily pulled his transom plug.
                  Wouldn't surprise me. But more likely is that he hit a reef AGAIN on the way to the sandbar and the leak came in through a broken rudder post or a tweaked shaft. Maybe one of the through-hull fittings broke. Maybe the head (toilet, for you landlubbers) flooded.
                  It would be apropos if it was the latter.

Comment

I wonder if the people taking their picture with the boat, in the video, were boat passengers or people who disliked the captain
                    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                    "
                    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Geez Likanui, he sounds like his boating priveleges should be revoked. Is there such a regulation? At least no-one got hurt. There are worse places in the ocean a boat could fill up with water. You should copy and paste your thoughts above on the blog ZZtype links to in his post. Maybe he's already been told, but if he hasn't it sounds like he should be.

Comment

...except that's not a blog. it's a Twitter account, and you'd have to summarize it in 140 characters or fewer.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks Lika Nui for that story. I had caught Philipson's tweets, video and pix on this. Now I know another part of this developing story.

That all said, this is the kind of stuff that irks the environmentalists and cultural preservationists into action and may have a bad fallout for all the boaters and people who use the sandbar.

A few years ago State Senator Clayton Hee tried to pass a bill to ban the recreational use of the sandbar. I would not be surprised if another bill like that surfaces again this legislative session.

You folks better start monitoring the legislative session that starts on January 21.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                            Geez Likanui, he sounds like his boating priveleges should be revoked. Is there such a regulation?
                            No such regulation. No license required to operate a boat (unless you're taking passengers out for hire), but this jerk is a convincing reason why there should be a license requirement.
                            And by the way, a few of you have mistakenly referred to him as a "captain." You can call him the "skipper" of his boat, but calling someone a "captain" implies that the person is indeed licensed. Calling this buffoon a captain is an insult to real captains.

You should copy and paste your thoughts above on the blog ZZtype links to in his post. Maybe he's already been told, but if he hasn't it sounds like he should be.
                            As Scrivner noted, no can do. And I hope this JPhilpson person was just an innocent passenger.

Comment

Karma rocks!

Comment

Working...
                              X