Where to stay on Oahu besides Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to stay on Oahu besides Waikiki

For a "used to be" local returning with his mainland family, Waikiki doesn't really hold any appeal to me. Actually, it doesn't matter where I stay, because I am not going to be spending time in the hotel room, nor "at the pool".

I'm looking for some suggestions for Oahu for economic, yet clean, places to stay for about a week.

In another thread, the Pagoda Hotel was suggested. It looks nice.

Anybody have thoughts on http://www.manoavalleyinn.com

Not sure what I'm looking for, besides to NOT pay $200+ for a fancy resort.

Thanks ahead for the help.

Re: Where to stay (besides Waikiki)

There are a couple things to look at. One quite obvious, the copyright date on the website is 2004 with pictures from that era. Another thing that is not so
    obvious is they still use a picture that was from the original owners' brochure
    printed in 1985 (the one of the couple on the lanai).

I cannot readily speak for the current situation but have read some very negative reviews on the net about the property. What I can tell you is that
    22 years ago it was a simply fabulous place and a wonderful place to stay.
    This I know for a fact having been the former Innkeeper prior to the sale
    to a Japanese corporation and now it is owned by someone else since then.
    It was never "kid friendly" in that the place (was) is filled with antiques and
    there was never anything for kids to do there. For adults it was a grand getaway from the masses and we hosted as many locals as visitors.

A couple years ago when we had our horrendous storms it made the news when the rock stone chimney collapsed onto the lawn.

There is another thread on this board where the Inn is pictured as part of the filming of "Lost" if you watch that show maybe you'd recognize it. I realize this doesn't answer your question but is just my 2 cents and seeing
    you have kids with you although you don't say how old. Good luck finding a place! I am sure you are anxious to visit!

Comment

I'd check craigslist for good deals.
      Here's the listing for Oahu: http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/vac/

Comment

Both Pagoda and Manoa Valley Inn are... unique properties. Lots of personality, some charm, considerable age. If you're in the mood for something different, either would qualify. But having recently visited both the Manoa Valley Inn (for "LOST" purposes) and the Pagoda (staying there for fumigation), I would honestly have to say that your typical visitor would be pretty disappointed, if not outright put off, by the condition of the facilities.

Have you considered vacation rentals? Private homes on the North Shore that you can rent? We started staying in vacation rentals on the Big Island a few years back, and I'm kicking myself for all the money I've wasted on hotels ever since. A home-like experience, more space, more privacy, for comparable or better prices.

Comment

Re: Where to stay on Oahu besides Waikiki

The VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) site is quite good for this sort of
          alternative accommodations.

It's too bad the MVI has been run down after it was such a grand place,
          it was a lot of work keeping it up especially as it was on the National
          Historic Register of Places at the time.

Comment

I suppose Pat's at Punalu`u isn't really the kind of thing you're after, is it? I've not stayed there (no need, what with family in Kane`ohe), but have heard favorable reviews from friends that have.

Comment

At $950/wk, this 3/2 oceanfront, Makaha house looks pretty decent. I am, however, very partial to Makaha! YMMV...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                But having recently visited both the Manoa Valley Inn (for "LOST" purposes) and the Pagoda (staying there for fumigation), ...
                Oh, Ryan. Were you staying there while your home was being fumigated, while the Pagoda was being fumigated, or while you yourself were being fumigated?
                Kinda like Composite writing earlier today that he's a small boat owner, then he justified that it was the boat that was small, not him. Heh.
                Anyway, to the original poster. Yes, check VRBO.com for a variety of rentals. All depends what you like. TutuSue prefers the dry and arid Makaha side, while I prefer the lush and tropical windward side.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The condo I live in is managed as long-term and vacation rentals up beachfront in Waialua, if you want to be up North Shore side. I know they do daily/weekly/monthly rentals. There's a small pool and pretty near Haleiwa, but you do need a car.

Hope you find a nice place! I know there are plenty of vacation rentals available.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Were you staying there while your home was being fumigated, while the Pagoda was being fumigated, or while you yourself were being fumigated?
                    Our home was being fumigated, but we were put up in the "condotel" tower of the Pagoda, which could've used some fumigating itself. We brought our own can of bug and flea spray. I wish I was kidding.
                    Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                    The VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) site is quite good for this sort of alternative accommodations.
                    Indeed. Focus on the comments left by prior guests.

A friend of mine always stays near Ke Iki Beach on the North Shore. It's a neat area, a wide swath of sand between two long patches of rocky shore.

Comment

Vacation rentals are exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for all the leads.

Comment

Working...
                      X