Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Surf and Winds for January 2009

Default Re: High surf warning for 01/13/09

From my noon news, they said you were getting 35 foot waves and it might go higher...but they didn't say exactly where.

I think it was more of an 'I'd soo rather deal with 30+ foot waves than the -30 (or more) degree wind chill coming tonight.'

Ramsey Wharton (KGMB's 'Sunrise') reported from Shark's Cove this morning. As of 7:30a the surf hadn't hit the projected heights. Possibly it was bigger at Waimea and I wondered why that wasn't the location of the report.

It's a very angry sea in Makaha with relentless line-ups. But, the waves aren't very big. Yet! The wind is about the same as last night.

Still fairly light winds here on the windward side. (Well, in a Kona condition like this we're temporarily the leeward side.) Ocean surface is flat and glassy, and because of the wind direction the waves, though small, are beautiful! Usually waves on this side are choppy because the tradewinds are pushing them from behind and chopping them up, but in Kona conditions the wind is hitting the faces and making perfect shapes. Plenty of surfers out.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Still fairly light winds here on the windward side. [...]
    Maybe the worst has passed?

There's a really big difference between here and where you've lived before, TG. Here, the waves can rise from 6' to 30' within just a few hours, and then fall again just as fast.
    In California, the ocean floor shelves up verrrrry sloooowly as it approaches the coast. Ocean depth remains relatively shallow for tens of miles offshore and waves can take several days to increase in size and then several days to drop again. But here in the islands there's no shelf at all, just immediate dropoffs to depths that stagger the imagination, and that's why the waves leap up and back down in size so fast. That's the simplified version of why you have to be patient.
    But it's worth it!
    Oh, we were there all day. They definitely got bigger as the day progressed, but didn't hit the hyped up 35 ft everyone was buzzing about. Then I got home and heard the time had been pushed back. That morning the surf report had predicted the big waves to start rolling in around noon or so. But again- it was still a nice beach day!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Nope. The wind seems to be very localized. Kaneohe is getting pretty frisky wind right now, and there's a power outage in Temple Valley, but just a few miles away the Kahana, Hau`ula and Punalu`u areas have very light wind with just occasional minor gusts. Typical Hawaii microclimates. Weather changes every few blocks.
    Biggest wind is still forecast for tonight and tomorrow, so we'll see.

In expectation of severe weather, all public schools have been closed for tomorrow (all islands except the Big Island). and UH Manoa too.

"Issued at: 4:00 PM HST 1/15/09:

"High wind warning in effect until 6 pm hst Friday The NWS in honolulu has issued a high wind warning, which is in effect until 6 pm hst Friday. Winds on kauai, oahu, and niihau will gradually increase tonight, with local wind gusts of 50 to 60 mph expected late tonight and Friday. The strongest wind gusts are expected over the mountains and across communities north and east of mountains."

With the warm Kona winds the low temperature tonight should only get down to 74 degrees. But tomorrow night the wind switches to northwest and the low temp drops by 12 degrees to 62. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!

Is there a hurricane coming and I somehow missed it? Here's the latest Breaking News item on the Advertiser website:

State and City & County of Honolulu workers have been given administrative leave tomorrow (Friday) due to the potentially dangerous weather conditions.
    The leave does not apply to department civil defense coordinators, disaster response workers and other essential workers.

All state and county workers get the day off?! They're expecting a hurricane, I tell ya.
    I'm doing some work at a property on the beach in Punalu`u, and it's still very calm, with only occasional brief gusts to maybe 12 or 15 knots. I think maybe we're not getting the big downslope wind because the mountains are directly across the street, so the wind is blowing over the top and coming down farther out to sea.
    What's it like where you are?

[...]
    What's it like where you are?
    Still pretty mild on the west side but I've followed instructions to have my flashlight and radio close by and my hurricane kit stocked! Oh, and I turned my fridge/freezer up to high in anticipation of the possible power outage! I didn't do that in town, tho'. Dayam. And that freezer is chock full of the results of days of cooking!

I was skyping with a friend of my dad's today so that he could see the angry surf. I just sent him an update on the pending storm and wrote: "They might as well call it a hurricane 'cept it's not hurricane season!"

Default Schools to be closed Friday Jan.9

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../90115062/1352

"All public schools in Hawai'i except those on the Big Island will be closed tomorrow because of the threat of high winds, the Department of Education announced today. The University of Hawai'i said all campuses would be closed except those on the Big Island. Many private schools will also close."

If you have children in school, or work in a school, check out the updates as the evening goes on.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

Default State and County offices closed Fri Jan. 16

Besides most schools (another posting), state and county workers are off.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../90115085/1352

"State and City & County of Honolulu workers have been given administrative leave for Friday due to the potentially dangerous weather conditions."

Wonder if it is ALL state workers ... if so that would mean that Hawaii county public schools are also closed (so far, they are to remain open).
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

Default Re: Weather Alerts: High Surf, High Winds

Couple of big honkin' gusts, and the power has flickered three times in the past hour and a half.
    And thanks to whomever for changing the thread title.

I'm kind of amazed at the precautionary measures that have been initiated by our city and state governments. I know that a storm is coming, but did they receive additional information?

As I look out from my window (it's 9:30 p.m.), there is not much wind blowing, but then again, I live in calm central (right smack-dab in the middle of Honolulu). I'm always surprised at how much damage there is on the Windward side, or Central Oahu, or in Waianae or Makaha or Maile during a so-called storm. Better to err on the safe side, I guess. I just hope that it will remain as calm as it is is right now throughout the island.

It's much calmer tonight than it was last night. Hopefully it will stay that way. Or is this possibly the calm before the storm? We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Or is this possibly the calm before the storm? We'll see!
    Yup. Unless NWS blew it.

soo wheres the storm. talk about hyping this thing up..

its what the media does. Scaring the crap of their audience and hyping things up to sell papers or get viewers.

Well, someone has already lost a roof, and a tree down on the windward side.

The real test will come tomorrow. I haven't kept close track, but I think the storm is developing slower than forecast. So I wouldn't judge until they say the worst is here.

Quote Originally Posted by integlspwr View Post
    its what the media does. Scaring the crap of their audience and hyping things up to sell papers or get viewers.
    I wish I'd saved a copy of Pat Caldwell's surf forecast last weekend. Back when the storm was brewing and the buoy data was beginning to show what was heading our way, his forecast used the word "humongous". I wasn't sure if that was a technical surfer/oceanography term or if an intern wrote it up. It was gone by Monday.

My spouse the meteorologist says that NWS is usually under pressure not to scare the visitors, especially if it'd generate national news. So they usually put out the lower end of the wind/rain estimates, the most conservative forecast, and the least scary predictions.

This is apparently a big honkin' storm that's destabilized a lot of the normal moderating weather systems and made things more unpredictable. As another poster's mentioned, if this was hurricane season then the CPHC forecasters and the emergency-response folks would be freaking out because the mid-Pacific ridge (that usually pushes hurricanes south of the islands) has moved way up to the northeast and is no longer providing meteorological cover from the storm's weather system. I've learned that it's never good when she looks at the satellite picture and says "Wow!"

Maybe the schools have had some close calls in the past, or maybe someone at Civil Defense advised the state to pay attention to this one. Either that or Superintendent Hamamoto wants to catch a few of the big ones at Makaha or the North Shore.

Even the south shore forecast has risen from "less than three" to "2-4". I'm not going to go beat the crap out of myself with the Supe, but if our kid wants to gloat about her day off then we might go verify the south shore conditions...
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

soo wheres the storm. talk about hyping this thing up. its what the media does. Scaring the crap of their audience and hyping things up to sell papers or get viewers.
    I hope you're kidding. Those warnings definitely -- and obviously -- fall in the "better safe than sorry" category.
    In any event, the high wind warning has just been cancelled.

I hope you're kidding. Those warnings definitely -- and obviously -- fall in the "better safe than sorry" category.
    In any event, the high wind warning has just been cancelled.
    Lika (if you don't mind me abbreviating your name) I TOTALLY agree with you. It is better to be safe than sorry! My neighbor said to me the same sentiment as the other poster when I was out walking Manele & Koele, "so, you'd rather have disaster and damage than nothing happening, that's too weird" is what I said to her, she just shrugged and walked away.

The past few days furniture and an umbrella had flown into the pool and the yard now looks like it's abandoned due to everything put in places where the wind can't get to it.
    We have a shear opening in the valley here where even other houses in our neighborhood don't get some rogue winds like we have at our house.

Being a weather person is a great job, you never have to be correct and you still get paid. Oh, I know it's a hard job but it's still kind of odd to think about that.

And I am proud of myself, it's the first time I ever got a quote thing right! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! So a hui hou and signing off from the beautiful windward side where a torrent of rain is coming down as I write!

Let's see...

High wind warnings were posted -- fact.
    Schools were closed -- fact.
    Authorities were concerned about high winds and possible flooding -- fact.

So, "the media" dutifully reports all of this, as they should, and that's "hyping things up?"

I don't think the media is to blame here (actually nobody is really to "blame," I'm of the better safe than sorry school, myself), but rather "the officials" who up and closed things.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Definitely better safe than sorry! Maybe they're remembering the horrible storm last month and don't want to be responsible for any drivers out in it?

Anyway, J is horribly sick, so the cancellation was a total God-send since he can't take any days off. Yay for cautious weathermen! (And don't ask about the no days off...that's just how they roll down there)

And I know the whole "Turn around; don't drown!" is rhyming and catchy, and hopefully has saved people's lives, but it really is a kinda awful slogan when you sit there and think about it.

Can't think of anything creative this time

West side is a little bit of everything today! Very sloppy surf but not big. Sun is out now but it just finished pouring. Fairly windy with an occasional gust but I've been thru worse.

I just got home after taking my lunch up to Makaha Beach. One, lonely surfer was out but only catching shore break. There were occasional 5-6 footers outside but blown out, choppy, sloppy and all kapakahi! There were a few die-hard beach goers trying to catch the in and out rays. Same for in front of my hale.

I'm lovin' the unrelenting sound of the ocean. But I'm not lovin' how damp everything has become inside. Even my car, inside a parking structure and blocked from the ocean spray by a building, is wet on the outside and damp on the inside.

I'd like to thank the media for their "hyping". It caused me to pay attention and prepare for what I hoped would be nothing. Where was picture-in-picture when I needed it yesterday?! Forty miles southeast, that's where!

ETA:
    I spoke too soon! A big increase in wind just hit along with rain...not just a gust.
    Last edited by tutusue; January 16th, 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Yeah, TS...that's when it got ugly over here, too. Pouring rain constantly with steady wind now. The surf has lowered a little, but still stacked closely and rolling in. It's been worse for the last two-three hours that it has been all night for us. Coming home at oh-dark-thirty last night, occasional gusts I estimate around 30-40mph but I was seeing some stars and no rain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast