Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High surf warning for 01/13/09

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Nope. The wind seems to be very localized. Kaneohe is getting pretty frisky wind right now, and there's a power outage in Temple Valley, but just a few miles away the Kahana, Hau`ula and Punalu`u areas have very light wind with just occasional minor gusts. Typical Hawaii microclimates. Weather changes every few blocks.
    Biggest wind is still forecast for tonight and tomorrow, so we'll see.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

In expectation of severe weather, all public schools have been closed for tomorrow (all islands except the Big Island). and UH Manoa too.

"Issued at: 4:00 PM HST 1/15/09:

"High wind warning in effect until 6 pm hst Friday The NWS in honolulu has issued a high wind warning, which is in effect until 6 pm hst Friday. Winds on kauai, oahu, and niihau will gradually increase tonight, with local wind gusts of 50 to 60 mph expected late tonight and Friday. The strongest wind gusts are expected over the mountains and across communities north and east of mountains."

Comment

With the warm Kona winds the low temperature tonight should only get down to 74 degrees. But tomorrow night the wind switches to northwest and the low temp drops by 12 degrees to 62. Brrrrrrrrrr!!!

Comment

Is there a hurricane coming and I somehow missed it? Here's the latest Breaking News item on the Advertiser website:

State and City & County of Honolulu workers have been given administrative leave tomorrow (Friday) due to the potentially dangerous weather conditions.
          The leave does not apply to department civil defense coordinators, disaster response workers and other essential workers.

All state and county workers get the day off?! They're expecting a hurricane, I tell ya.
          I'm doing some work at a property on the beach in Punalu`u, and it's still very calm, with only occasional brief gusts to maybe 12 or 15 knots. I think maybe we're not getting the big downslope wind because the mountains are directly across the street, so the wind is blowing over the top and coming down farther out to sea.
          What's it like where you are?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            [...]
            What's it like where you are?
            Still pretty mild on the west side but I've followed instructions to have my flashlight and radio close by and my hurricane kit stocked! Oh, and I turned my fridge/freezer up to high in anticipation of the possible power outage! I didn't do that in town, tho'. Dayam. And that freezer is chock full of the results of days of cooking!

I was skyping with a friend of my dad's today so that he could see the angry surf. I just sent him an update on the pending storm and wrote: "They might as well call it a hurricane 'cept it's not hurricane season!"

Comment

Schools to be closed Friday Jan.9

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../90115062/1352

"All public schools in Hawai'i except those on the Big Island will be closed tomorrow because of the threat of high winds, the Department of Education announced today. The University of Hawai'i said all campuses would be closed except those on the Big Island. Many private schools will also close."

If you have children in school, or work in a school, check out the updates as the evening goes on.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

State and County offices closed Fri Jan. 16

Besides most schools (another posting), state and county workers are off.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../90115085/1352

"State and City & County of Honolulu workers have been given administrative leave for Friday due to the potentially dangerous weather conditions."

Wonder if it is ALL state workers ... if so that would mean that Hawaii county public schools are also closed (so far, they are to remain open).
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Re: Weather Alerts: High Surf, High Winds

Couple of big honkin' gusts, and the power has flickered three times in the past hour and a half.
                  And thanks to whomever for changing the thread title.

Comment

I'm kind of amazed at the precautionary measures that have been initiated by our city and state governments. I know that a storm is coming, but did they receive additional information?

As I look out from my window (it's 9:30 p.m.), there is not much wind blowing, but then again, I live in calm central (right smack-dab in the middle of Honolulu). I'm always surprised at how much damage there is on the Windward side, or Central Oahu, or in Waianae or Makaha or Maile during a so-called storm. Better to err on the safe side, I guess. I just hope that it will remain as calm as it is is right now throughout the island.

Comment

It's much calmer tonight than it was last night. Hopefully it will stay that way. Or is this possibly the calm before the storm? We'll see!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Or is this possibly the calm before the storm? We'll see!
                        Yup. Unless NWS blew it.

Comment

soo wheres the storm. talk about hyping this thing up..

its what the media does. Scaring the crap of their audience and hyping things up to sell papers or get viewers.

Comment

Well, someone has already lost a roof, and a tree down on the windward side.

The real test will come tomorrow. I haven't kept close track, but I think the storm is developing slower than forecast. So I wouldn't judge until they say the worst is here.

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
                              soo wheres the storm. talk about hyping this thing up..
                              its what the media does. Scaring the crap of their audience and hyping things up to sell papers or get viewers.
                              I wish I'd saved a copy of Pat Caldwell's surf forecast last weekend. Back when the storm was brewing and the buoy data was beginning to show what was heading our way, his forecast used the word "humongous". I wasn't sure if that was a technical surfer/oceanography term or if an intern wrote it up. It was gone by Monday.

My spouse the meteorologist says that NWS is usually under pressure not to scare the visitors, especially if it'd generate national news. So they usually put out the lower end of the wind/rain estimates, the most conservative forecast, and the least scary predictions.

This is apparently a big honkin' storm that's destabilized a lot of the normal moderating weather systems and made things more unpredictable. As another poster's mentioned, if this was hurricane season then the CPHC forecasters and the emergency-response folks would be freaking out because the mid-Pacific ridge (that usually pushes hurricanes south of the islands) has moved way up to the northeast and is no longer providing meteorological cover from the storm's weather system. I've learned that it's never good when she looks at the satellite picture and says "Wow!"

Maybe the schools have had some close calls in the past, or maybe someone at Civil Defense advised the state to pay attention to this one. Either that or Superintendent Hamamoto wants to catch a few of the big ones at Makaha or the North Shore.

Even the south shore forecast has risen from "less than three" to "2-4". I'm not going to go beat the crap out of myself with the Supe, but if our kid wants to gloat about her day off then we might go verify the south shore conditions...
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
                                soo wheres the storm. talk about hyping this thing up. its what the media does. Scaring the crap of their audience and hyping things up to sell papers or get viewers.
                                I hope you're kidding. Those warnings definitely -- and obviously -- fall in the "better safe than sorry" category.
                                In any event, the high wind warning has just been cancelled.

Comment

Working...
                                X