Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laws I like, Laws I hate, Laws I'd like to have

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
    It means that the government has no business telling adults that choose to be on private property what otherwise legal activities they wish to enjoy quietly on that proporty. .
    Oh, Ok. I was wondering if you meant "right of ways" or public access to the beach or something. I do agree with the concept of private property being a place to practice individual rights.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

The government that governs least governs best.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Thanks, Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Thanks, Thomas.
          Ditto. ......

I also think beach access should be maintained since it is public space.

Comment

Perhaps I shouldn't do this because we have weird laws in this country which go back to the 1300's.

Can I give you a useless example which still exists ?

A a man can beat his wifie with a stick no wider than his thumb.

Hence comes the law a the rule of thumbs.

Comment

There might be a law like this already, but not enforced....

"Prohibit placing any kind of cover or shield over a license plate."

I see where people install "plate protectors" under the pretense of protecting the license plate. They are actually obscuring the plate to prevent people or cameras from reading the plate so they can drive like a--holes with impunity.

also...

"Prohibit installation of non-factory spec headlight lamps"

I see idiots installing aftermarket high-intensity headlamps on their cars or trucks. They are usually not aimed properly. By design they splatter blinding light all over the road, destroying the night-vision of oncoming drivers.
              You know these headlamps are illegal because the ads say "for off road or racing use only".

Comment

Laws I like: It is illegal to knock the teeth out of your child's mouth and to cut them with a knife, no matter "who" or "what" you think you are that would allow for such abusive actions.
                http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...901220363.html

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  Yes. Clearly, Wall Street didn't need any regulation and oversight from the govt.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Law I hate (among others)

Act 247 - 2005

Enough said.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      Law I hate (among others)

Act 247 - 2005

Enough said.
                      And now for consideration, how does this fit in?

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....9-801fe6562252

"Despite a pledge in 2005 to keep the city’s 12.5 percent surcharge for the city’s rail project, the Legislature and the governor are considering a plan that would move those revenues from the city’s rail transit project to the state general fund – and then extend the tax over the 15 years it is already in place "

Comment

Re: Laws I'd hate to have

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                        I can't believe we don't have motorcycle helmet laws, and I wish that motorcyclists were required to wear them. If, god forbid, I'm ever involved in an accident with a motorcycle, it's gonna take decades of therapy for me to recover after having to see someone's brain on the pavement.
                        This is an example of a "victimless crime" as well as a direct assault on personal liberties. Motorcycle helmets (at least the full-coverage kind) restrict the hearing and vision of riders, making it MORE likely they would have an accident. This has been argued in the legislature for over 10 years already. The bikers are right.

It is ALREADY a law that everyone have insurance; uninsured motorists don't play into this helmet discussion.

If you don't want to see brains on the pavement, BE AWARE, and SHARE THE ROAD! Most car-motorcycle accidents are the fault of inattentive car drivers, particularly turning left in front of a bike! The next most is changing lanes and not seeing the bike.

More better we make them more noticeable - like require headlights on at all times, and allow loud pipes, maybe even flashing lights? Makes more sense.

Plus, I think it is the choice of the rider how much protection he/she wears. Seat belt laws make sense because it prevents a driver from being jostled out of the driver's seat, and so they can recover control after an accident. Helmets have no similar benefit.

Just my not-so-humble opinion....
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          What is the law about stopping in an intersection?
                          We need more enforcement of the minimum speed law, and slow drivers in general.
                          It is illegal to move into an intersection unless there is room on the other side for your vehicle. This prevents you blocking cross traffic if the light changes.

I agree. Slow-moving left-lane Zombies should be subject to enforcement. Even the cops pass them on the right! Most people don't even know it's against the law to drive slower than traffic in the left lane!
                          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                            There might be a law like this already, but not
                            "Prohibit placing any kind of cover or shield over a license plate."
                            Yep, there is. Not enforced.
                            I have NO respect for our highway police patrol. They only enforce the laws that get them bennies (speeding, DUI), and ignore all else. Most of them don't even KNOW the law!

That's why (Chief) Boise is unpopular with the force - he wants them to enforce ALL laws, not just their favorites.
                            ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Yep, there is. Not enforced.
                              There is a growing list of laws that are not being enforced in Hawaii. Maybe there should be a law that there will not be any NEW laws until all the OLD laws are being enforced (or repealed).

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                ! Most people don't even know it's against the law to drive slower than traffic in the left lane!
                                What law is that in Hawaii?

Comment

Working...
                                X