TV guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV guides

So, I haven't really been paying attention to every detail printed in the local papers but I get both the Star Bulletin and the Advertiser and I just noticed that neither has the week's tv guide today. I called the Advertiser and was informed that "because of the digital conversion and to save costs" they are not going to publish a tv guide anymore but will have the tv schedule from 5 pm to midnight in the daily paper. I know, I can check channel 12 or I can check the internet but what a pain. What if I want to plan ahead for longer than is shown on Chanel 12? What if I don't have computer access? I know, times are tough for local businesses but it still feels like we're getting less worth for our money. /grumble

Re: TV guides

I wonder if the local TV stations wouldn't mind devoting a sub-channel for their programming schedule up to 14 days ahead.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

One of the few reasons I’ve been buying the Sunday Advertiser was the TV Guide. The reason given for its demise was the conversion of Hawaii’s television stations to digital. The decision to do away with the printed Guide was also part of their consolidation of departments/features to deal with their financial situation. So now, as far as I know, the only weekly TV guide is the back section in MidWeek, which isn’t very good (I’m also wondering if it will be around for long). Anyone know of another printed guide?

The only option now is to go through Oceanic’s daily listing, which is a pain. The Advertiser announced a weekly online guide, but that is a bit cumbersome to go through as well.

Comment

With the prevalence of tools like TiVo and other DVRs, I would imagine printed or scrolling guides are becoming less and less relevant (and less practical, with hundreds of channels). I don't know when any show is on anymore, as it just magically shows up on my recorder.

Okay. I know when "LOST" airs. It's the only show I go out of my way to watch live, so I don't have much need for a guide.

When I do need to look up a show time, I use iTV on my iPhone, which pulls data from Oceanic and makes it easy to navigate around on a grid.

Comment

I didn't think people still used printed TV guides anymore. I probably haven't used a printed TV guide -- either the magazine or from the newspaper -- since the 80s.

You know that period in your life right after high school where, for a few years, you're too busy studying and/or partying to ever watch TV? Well, the last time I used a printed TV guide was before that phase. By the time I came out of that phase in the 90s, I was dependent on the channel 12 guide, and my TV-watching habits were not sophisticated enough to need more.
          Last edited by zff; January 18, 2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

i also was dissapointed in what the advertiser tv guide did to everyone only i learned from a person i once knew who stilll is there doing his job and i learned that if you go to honolulu advertiser/tv,you'd find all from morning till nighttime grid's there so i hope this may help with everyone here?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

The daily TV guide is a space hog in a printed newspaper, particularly as channels are added. It's also run as a public service, because the papers don't get a dime for running it.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Well, in general, all of the articles of the newspaper are run as a public service because the newspapers don't get paid for those right? Aren't the newspapers primarily paid by advertising (eta: Well, and subscriptions)? When I realized that the Advertiser wasn't running the tv guide that covers the whole week, I was going to cancel the Advertiser and just go with the Star Bulletin, until I found out the Star Bulletin did the same. Now I may cancel both and just go with the news I can find online.
                Last edited by Adri; January 18, 2009, 07:32 PM.

Comment

hi this is sansei and if you go to www.honoluluadvertiser.com/tv,you'd find a link where it'll hook you up to zap2 it's tv listing and you'd have to register to look at the grid's from morning till night and you'd find at what time's your favorite tv show's will be on and i just checked it out and it does work and they run this with the honolulu advertiser so i thought to share this correct information with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

It's good to have a tv guide handy in case a series such as House moves to a different night. There were episodes that I miss because the show moved from Tuesdays to Mondays.

Comment

Ah, but then there's where a DVR comes in handy. It'll automatically record the show at the new timeslot without any intervention from you.

Comment

Thank you sansei. I did know about zap2it but I do find it more cumbersome to look up the tv schedule on a computer especially since I do not leave my computer on all the time.

eta:

I'm not saying this is a lifetime disaster, just annoying and another sign of the deterioration of service/goods from businesses during these times. I know there are DVRs and Tivos but I don't have them because 1) I am not so techy and am slow to adjust to new (for me) techy things; and 2) I don't like that they build user profiles although I know that a lot of service providers build user profiles and it's not like my profile would be all that exciting.

eta again:

Actually, it seems to me like it would make more sense to publish one tv guide that covers the whole week and do away with the daily guides to the evening programs that appear in every issue except Sunday's. The daily guides are redundant if the schedule is published all in one and doing away with the daily evening guides and keeping the Sunday week's guide would save the newspapers space while still keeping a more complete coverage of the schedule.
                        Last edited by Adri; January 18, 2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                          I know there are DVRs and Tivos but I don't have them because
                          In my case it's cuz I'm cheap! It's not the initial cost, it's the subscription.

Actually, I do have a DVR, it's just a manual kind, just like the old VCRs.

Comment

hi this is sansei and if your registered,you also can click on oceanic time warner and that'll take you straight to the honolulu tv listing's and you can pick a day and time for any of your favorite show's so i thought to share this with everyone.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

http://www.tvguide.com/Listings/default.aspx

I never tried the other website. This is what I've been using for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X