Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flat panel TVs

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    I'm still curious about whether or not to have it calibrated. It's hard to imagine that a brand new $1,000 TV set needs a $300 calibration.
    I'd say that calibration is about as necessary as the extended warranty. That's a lot of money for something that should have been done right at the factory before it went to the retailer.

Here's a couple options short of the $300:
    http://www.komando.com/toolbox.aspx?mode=print&id=5171

Spouse is still happy with her 1994-vintage Panasonic 32" CRT. With no incentive to upgrade, we may end up skipping over plasma & LCDs for OLEDs or the "next big thing".
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

One thing to consider is the energy usage of these flat panels. My 2007 model 50" plasma uses 500-550 kilowatts/hour and LCDs of the same size should use about 25% less. Some of the new technologies that are coming out are supposed to use far less energy than that.
      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Oh... my... GAWD!!!
        The cable guy just left, after installing the HDTV box, and the picture is indescribably amazing. I'm absolutely stunned with how crisp and clear it is!
        I've gotta give props to the cable guy. He also hooked up my LG home theater system to the new TV, so combine the exceptional picture with exceptional sound and WOW. And he programmed the Oceanic remote so it controls everything from the one remote instead of using three remotes. The guy was really helpful, and I'm going to send a note to Oceanic about him.
        I asked him about that $300 calibration, and he laughed. He said that most of what they do are things us mortals can do, like adjusting skin tones, etc. He said if I'd bought a $10,000 major home entertainment system, like a 60" TV and all the rest, then the calibration might make a difference. But for us mortals we might only see a couple of percentage points of improvement, probably not even noticeable. He agreed with you folks about just getting the calibration stuff on a CD, if I really wanted to bother with it.
        Anyway, I want to thank all of you who responded to my questions. Mahalo plenny!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yep...my Sony's picture is incredible, too. Huge difference, huh?! The Oceanic guy was great and programmed my remote. However, I'm a sleep button junkie and while it worked to turn off the DVR it didn't turn the TV off. Of course there was no picture without the DVR but there was still a glow from the screen that was unacceptable. So I need to use 2 remotes when in sleep mode! Certainly a small price to pay for such a great picture.

Comment

Ya isn't it *amazing* the difference!?? I really cannot go back to standard def now, even DVDs look like crap comparatively =D
            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Maybe most of you already have HiDef TV's and I'm 'preaching to the choir' here, but if you don't have one you're missing some amazing technology.
              I've been loving the last couple of days with the new TV. One fun thing is switching back and forth between a standard channel and its sister HiDef channel. The differences are shocking.
              One show I've always enjoyed is Survivor. I can do without the interpersonal drama (and sometimes I mute the sound), but the photography in all those scenic exotic locales has always been some of the best on TV. Well, I watched last Thursday's episode in HD for the first time, and the photography simply blew my mind.
              I think electronics stores are missing a bet. They always have all the HD TV's all bunched together, but if I was them I'd put one standard TV right in the middle so folks can see the difference. I'd bet that sales would increase noticeably.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Maybe most of you already have HiDef TV's and I'm 'preaching to the choir' here, but if you don't have one you're missing some amazing technology.
                I think that one of the best effects of HDTVs is that Craigslist has tons of bargains on CRT TVs and Series 2 TiVos...

I wonder when stores will stop selling CRT TVs & monitors.
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
                X