TV Signal Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Signal Amplifier

Anyone know where I can find a signal amplifier with a 15dB or higher gain?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Re: [REQ] TV Signal Amplifier

A couple of things you need to think about:

First, take a look at your cable. You may need to replace it with something with lower loss. Especially up at the UHF frequencies now they are being used by the first tear stations. If it's old, it may have become water logged.

Second, ignore the gain. What you need is an amplifier with a higher s/n ratio then your TV set's tuner. Otherwise it's louder, but nosier - a net loss.

Third, unless you are line-of-sight to the transmitters, don't be afraid to experiment and point your antenna in different directions. If there's something blocking your view of the transmitter, you may find your strongest signal is a reflection off of something.

That said, have you looked at Radio Shack? They seem to be more likely to carry that stuff then most stores. And they have a good return policy.

Comment

Aloha,
      I had pretty good success with a PCT signal booster purchased off of ebay. It doubled the number of stations I was able to bring in from Kaneohe. See my full experience in the DTV thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mred1269 View Post
        Aloha,
        I had pretty good success with a PCT signal booster purchased off of ebay. It doubled the number of stations I was able to bring in from Kaneohe. See my full experience in the DTV thread.
        What's PCT?

Comment

To be honest, I'm not sure what the company's initials stand for, but their product works well. If you jump onto Amazon.com and type in PCT signal booster, you'll see the product description and review.

Comment

Re: TV Signal Amplifier

Are you already using a yagi or some sort of directional UHF antenna?

Those will give you at least 8 dB of gain right there.

Make sure you're using good coaxial antenna cable and that the connectors are nice and solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
              Are you already using a yagi or some sort of directional UHF antenna?

Those will give you at least 8 dB of gain right there.

Make sure you're using good coaxial antenna cable and that the connectors are nice and solid.
              Don't know what's a yagi, but as I reported in the other thread, I got a Channel Master #3018 Near-Fringe Range VHF/UHF/FM directional antenna.

I'm currently using a 10dB signal amplifier. I think I bought it from Radio Shack several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Don't know what's a yagi, but as I reported in the other thread, I got a Channel Master #3018 Near-Fringe Range VHF/UHF/FM directional antenna.
                That's a multi-element yagi!

Question answered.

Comment

Working...
                X