Clean House!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean House!

This Style Network show, of which I've probably watched 3 episodes, is on Oahu decluttering an Aina Haina home.

Clean House features majorly cluttered homes and sets up a yard sale for the clutterers/homeowners to earn money towards a makeover. The yard sale was today and I was curious enough to attend. I was also hoping to see more local crew members than I did.

The show, at least today, seems to be a well oiled machine. The on-camera ensemble team (Niecy Nash, Mark Brunetz and Trish Suhr) tends to come from a comedy background. Prior to the "Le Mans start" of the yard sale, the talent walks the crowd chatting and taking pictures. I was very impressed with their kindness and patience. There was also the obligatory hula and aloha wear!

There was enough time to view the goods from across the street prior to the start. Oh Lordy...junk! But, I guess, the possibility of being on-camera with a purchase, people were buying...junk! I wasn't even tempted! The episode airs in May.

Re: Clean House!

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    This Style Network show, of which I've probably watched 3 episodes, is on Oahu decluttering an Aina Haina home.
    Spouse faithfully records that show, whose episodes are shown literally 40+ times a week. After several years she thinks she's seen every episode. They do most of their work near LA, except for the annual "messiest house in America", so a Hawaii episode (even in January!) is an unusual move for them.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_House"]Clean House features majorly cluttered homes and sets up a yard sale for the clutterers/homeowners to earn money towards a makeover. The yard sale was today and I was curious enough to attend. I was also hoping to see more local crew members than I did.
    I'm sorry we missed that. If this was their first show here, you'd think they would've attempted to use more local crew.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_House"]
    The show, at least today, seems to be a well oiled machine. The on-camera ensemble team (Niecy Nash, Mark Brunetz and Trish Suhr) tends to come from a comedy background. Prior to the "Le Mans start" of the yard sale, the talent walks the crowd chatting and taking pictures. I was very impressed with their kindness and patience. There was also the obligatory hula and aloha wear!
    So Niecy's finally back, hunh? Now I'm really sorry we missed that. She's been off the show for at least six months with "Do Not Disturb" (already cancelled) and the substitutes kept saying that they were "filling in" for her.

It's been interesting to watch her enhance evolve her show persona over the years... and here, probably with a hibiscus behind each ear.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_House"]There was enough time to view the goods from across the street prior to the start. Oh Lordy...junk! But, I guess, the possibility of being on-camera with a purchase, people were buying...junk! I wasn't even tempted! The episode airs in May.
    They typically shoot for $1000 from the yard sales. No idea whether they actually hit their target or just pretend. Simply convincing the owners to part with their "valuable collectibles", even for money, seems challenging enough to keep a psychiatric team busy for months.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
      [...]They do most of their work near LA, except for the annual "messiest house in America", so a Hawaii episode (even in January!) is an unusual move for them.
      Does the messiest house in American episode tend to air in May? If so, then, possibly, the Aina Haina house won! Shows like that tend to shoot months in advance. IIRC, Extreme Makeover Home Edition shot in June for a Sept. air date.
      I'm sorry we missed that. If this was their first show here, you'd think they would've attempted to use more local crew.
      There might've been more local crew and I just didn't recognize them. Since I'm one of the old-timers I'm not as familiar with the youngsters like I used to be!
      It's been interesting to watch her enhance evolve her show persona over the years... and here, probably with a hibiscus behind each ear.
      During the yard sale segment she wore a head lei...ummm, what looked to be a colorful, faux head lei!
      They typically shoot for $1000 from the yard sales. No idea whether they actually hit their target or just pretend. Simply convincing the owners to part with their "valuable collectibles", even for money, seems challenging enough to keep a psychiatric team busy for months.
      There were 3 vehicles for sale! If even one sold they probably hit the $1000. mark!

Oprah has also done some messiest house episodes. Those were Clean House on steroids! Her shows seemed to involve homeowners with much stronger psychological issues than the few Clean House eps I've watched. IIRC, Oprah also offered counseling along with the clean up. Seeing homes like those featured on these shows absolutely scrambles my brain! I'm not a neat freak but I have no comprehension how anyone can live or even sleep under those conditions.

Comment

Clean House is one of my favorite shows. I also love How Clean is Your House? Does anyone know if Kellie Shanygne Williams is just a temporary hostess or a permanent one?

Comment

There was enough time to view the goods from across the street prior to the start. Oh Lordy...junk!
          That shows how some people can get emotionally attached to things. Even if they don't have any other redeeming value.

I have to admit our garage is cluttered, too. There's a lot of things that could be sold, discarded or just better organized. The hard part is letting go. And some of the worst cases in this show is people who just can't part with years of accumulated stuff.

Comment

I'd think emotional attachment to be the primary reason for mega-cluttered homes. But, Composite, a cluttered garage isn't unusual! What it's cluttered with might be!

IIRC, the show has owners separate all their worldly goods into 3 sections: Keep, Toss, Yard Sale. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I can't even begin to imagine what the tossed items looked like!

When I moved my office in 2007, I had no problem letting go of anything that wasn't going to fit in my new space. My biggest problem was motivation to get my rear in gear and just do it! I used to love moving! Really! It was a great opportunity to get rid of stuff, get organized and start anew someplace else. It's not fun anymore! Maybe it's just age related at this point!

Comment

When I moved my office in 2007, I had no problem letting go of anything that wasn't going to fit in my new space. My biggest problem was motivation to get my rear in gear and just do it! I used to love moving! Really! It was a great opportunity to get rid of stuff, get organized and start anew someplace else. It's not fun anymore! Maybe it's just age related at this point!
              I used to move alot.. It was not a big deal back then. I'd declutter at every move. I'm not sure I dread the thought of moving now because of age, or if it is because the less often you move, the more time there is between moves to collect more and more stuff. Having to sort through my stuff now to move would be .... horrid. For example, I still have old video tapes on a shelf (Disney, etc). I'd never have hung on to old video tapes if I was packing up and moving every year or so.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I like to watch Clean House and show the hubby how bad other people's houses get ... makes our look not too bad by comparison!
                I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

I moved into this smaller house 5 years ago and owing to ill health and age I was awarded a house cleaner. Karen comes in every second week and she has 3 large cardboard boxes in the cupboard. She knows I am a squirrel and can't help collecting junk. The boxes are marked and she goes around the house and appears with armfuls of stuff asking, 'when was the last time you used this ?' Then they are all put into various boxes before she starts the cleaning.
                  At the end of the month the first box will diappear when Karen leaves. She knows full well what junk to get rid of. This is an ongoing process and to be honest ! I don't miss any of the stuff but the house is a lot cleaner and tidier now.

Like if you haven't had a need for something (I don't mean ornaments or souvenirs, children etc.) for three months, then there is a reason to say goodbye to it.

Comment

Getting rid of the 'stuff' is the whole problem.

I think the solution for me is buying another house and using on to live in and one for the stuff. Or a house with a barn.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Aina Haina episode referenced in this thread airs June 3 and is, in fact, part of the 7 episode "messiest house in America" series. MidWeek (May 27 issue) covered it.

Comment

Mahalo tutu! Now I know when to look for this.

Last month I randomly remembered about this thread and looked through at least 3 weeks of Clean House on my guide and recorded many I thought "could be" it. Needless to say those eps were not set in Aina Haina.

I didn't realize it hadn't aired yet.
                        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Working...
                        X