Fast Food Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Food Memories

I recently blogged a silly (which is rare! I promise!) topic on combining a Jack in the Box Jumbo Jack with a Taco in honor of Jack's Jumbo Deal. Amazingly, it's become the #1 hit according to my visitor statistics. Go figah.

Anyhow, a few folks commenting mentioned Frings®, which apparently was a combination of - as obvious as it sounds - French Fries and Onion Rings! Duh.

Here's their online official documentation on it: "Gone, but not forgotten, Jack in the Box has a few renowned menu items that have gone the way of mood rings and shag carpeting, including a fish sandwich called the Moby Jack, introduced in 1970, and Frings, a combination of onion rings and french fries, introduced in 1979."

You know, now that I think about it, I don't think Kaneohe even had a Jack in the Box in 1979. Back then, IIRC, we only had McDonald's and Burger King.

Also, IIRC, the next mega-chain burger joint to arrive in Kaneohe before JITB was Wendy's. This is in Kaneohe Shopping Center where Time's Supermarket is still located. Then Wendy's left town and Jack in the Box took their spot there, but I can't remember exactly what year that was. Any "Kaneohe'ians" out there remembah?

Also, do you remember Frings®? I don't. I do remember the Moby Jack® though.

But I think the number one fast food menu item of the past folks will toast is none other than the McRib® Sandwich. I almost threw up just typing that. lol

What other fast food menu items of the past do you have memories of? Or location information, like who was there before, and who is there now? What was your favorite small keed grinds. Or a particularly-funny dine-in or drive-through/take-out experience. That kinda' stuffs.

This should be fun. (and Scriv', please don't scold me for this one!).

sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Fast Food Memories

As far as locations then and now, probably the most notable I can think of is McDonald's replacing Kenny's Burger House in "The Kam Shopping Center in Kaleeee-heeeee" (Kalihi). Man, I'll never forget Kenny's 10 cent Teriyaki Burgers. I'd buy, like, BAGS of that stuff. They weren't quite sliders, but a just simple, bare-bones burger with teri sauce glazed on 'em... and oh so good!

Hey, did you folks ever see this SNL skit spoofing Taco Bell called "Taco Town"? If you haven't you must! Totally hilarious! One of my readers hooked me up with this one. Can't believe I never seen it before. Check it out!....

---->TACO TOWN Saturday Night Live skit<----
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

When I first moved to Mililani 30 years ago, there actually was a Mexican fast-food restaurant called TACO TOWN in the Mililani Town Shopping Center near Foodland. It had also been named TACO TIME at some point before disappearing along with Mililani Bakery.

On past food items, McDonald's had a ROAST BEEF sandwich on the menu for $ .69. The Big Mac was $ .63, the Double Cheeseburger was $ .59. I'd go to the Palolo McD's, the second to open, because the Aina Haina outlet was too far away.

Comment

I really miss the McDonalds' McDLT burger. "The McDLT (McDonald's Lettuce and Tomato) was served with mustard, ketchup, pickles, sliced onions, lettuce, cheese, and two tomato slices."

The McDLT was sold in a novel form of packaging where the meat and bottom half of the bun was prepared separately from the lettuce, tomato, American cheese, pickles, sauces, and top half of the bun and both were then packaged into a specially designed two-sided container.[2] The consumer was then expected to finalize preparation of the sandwich by combining the hot and cool sides just prior to eating. The company discontinued the sandwich in 1990 to appear more environmentally friendly as it moved away from polystyrene packaging which was integral to the McDLT "experience"
        You'd buy this for around I think $1.99 each or was it $2.19. Got the container and assembled your burger for a nice big bite. Yum.

Sadly I have been told that poor sales hurt this burger. I also suspect enviro whackos had pressured McDonalds' and other fast food chains to discontinue the styrofoam packaging. I like that better than the paper which drips grease that most burgers come in today.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I remember I had a chipotle bbq snack wrap yesterday. it was just a sliver of chicken in a tortilla with lettuce and cheese.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            I really miss the [B]McDonalds' McDLTpickles, sliced onions, lettuce, cheese, and two tomato slices."
            -----------I also suspect enviro whackos had pressured McDonalds' and other fast food chains to discontinue the styrofoam packaging. I like that better than the paper which drips grease that most burgers come in today.
            Now that you mention the McDLT, I remember that one now! That was a great concept that perhaps should be revisited by all the burger chains. Just use a different packaging material. Easy to do.

Why hasn't there been an outcry yet on the white polystyrene clamshell "plates" used to serve the millions of plate lunches sold in Hawaii, along with the rest of the world? Ever since our local restaurants here starting using that I detested it, but what can you do?

Isn't the "old school" style paper Chinette plate with the wax paper liner and butcher paper wrapper more biodegradable than styrofoam? Remember Kewalo (Kanda's) lunch wagon used to serve it like that? Classic.

I read an article recently about environmental issues, where IIRC, they suggested to bring your own Tupperware container or plate and ask the take-out restaurant you're at to serve it in that. But would the restaurants be willing to do that? They might not for fear of some type of liability, as that's not yet part of their standardized operation.

O.P. I'm not at all surprised there was an actual restaurant named Taco Town. As for Taco Time, wasn't there also one on Alakea Street in downtown Honolulu? I think that's what it was called.

Mike L., you have an incredible memory.
            Last edited by Pomai; January 25, 2009, 09:19 AM.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Pomai, yes, there are biodegradable reyclable cardboard like containers that can substitute for the styrofoam ones used in many a plate lunch. The big resistance to that is cost. The biodegradable ones cost shop owners more money and if they are forced to use it that cost will have to be passed on to consumers.

The legislature proposed banning the use of styrofoam last year. I would not be surprised if a similar bill shows up again this year.

I have no problem with styrofoam. I am for anything that keeps business and consumer costs low. I don't like it when government mandates any cost increase. A ban on styrofoam will increase cost.

In this weak economy increasing costs on the private and consumer sectors is not the way to go to save government.

Getting back to Fast Food Memories...

As for Taco places, there was also a chain called Taco El Paso. The ad agency I used to work for had that small account at one time. I recall having a taco there in the Pearlridge Food Court.

Getting back to paper plates and tissue issue with plate lunches... Tsukenjo's on Queen and Cooke St. still put their take outs on these cheap plates. The food is good, cost is reasonable, and I don't complain about the plates.

Back when I was a kid my Dad was a partner in the local Dairy Queen franchise. Among the good food we had there were home made french fries where they'd slice the actual potatoes into thick fry sticks before dipping them in the deep fryer. They also made great burgers at this one. Back in the 60s... price for a small soft drink, burger and fries was less than 50¢.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

When I was going to UH in '73, a group of us played basketball on Saturdays. After, we'd go to Alex Drive-In and I'd get a Watermelon Freeze. It was watermelon sherbet blended with carbonated water. Ohhhhhh...so refreshing!

I also loved the shortbread cookies with a chocolate thumbprint that Woolworth's sold at Ala Moana.

I get them at other places now, but none match the ones I had back then.

Comment

Used to work for Jacque In The Box (to sound fancy) back in the 80's or Jack In The Crack (hehe) used to have I did prepare them was Steak Dinners w/ Wedge Cut Fries and Fillet of Fish Bits (forgot what they were called actually) & there was a 3rd one too also. The steak was my personal fave that I ALWAYS bought during my lunch breaks. There was also a Chicken Sandwhich which came in a metallic green foil wrapper that I always ordered, and Jack In The Box used to have Nachos! It came in a round bowl where ya basically fill it up with nachos and spreading it around, top it off with the cheese and ground beef meat,That was Fun to put together and also delicious!
                  The Paniolo Breakfast (Scrambled Eggs, Portugese Sausage,Rice) that was exclusive to Hawaii was another favorite
                  Apple Turnovers though not thee best I always was in the mood for them

But now all a distant memory

Comment

O.P. I'm not at all surprised there was an actual restaurant named Taco Town. As for Taco Time, wasn't there also one on Alakea Street in downtown Honolulu? I think that's what it was called.

----------
                    it was 'Taco HUT'...which I loved...especially their nachos!!! I missed them!

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                      When I was going to UH in '73, a group of us played basketball on Saturdays. After, we'd go to Alex Drive-In and I'd get a Watermelon Freeze. It was watermelon sherbet blended with carbonated water. Ohhhhhh...so refreshing!

I also loved the shortbread cookies with a chocolate thumbprint that Woolworth's sold at Ala Moana.

I get them at other places now, but none match the ones I had back then.
                      There was just SOMETHING about Woolworth's Ala Moana that HAD IT. Ya' know? Perhaps the combination of that textile smell of frangrance candles, new clothes and greasy fried chicken, along with the smell of fresh popcorn wafting over from Sears next door. Just magical.

Old Navy = boo hoo hoo. lol
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

At the tender age of about 10, or 1977, I got on the bus with Mom and Dad, as they were teaching me how to get around using mass transit. Found $10 under the seat. Took the whole family of 5 out to dinner at A&W for burgers and rootbeer floats. Total was under $9.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

15¢ burgers at McDs...circa mid 1960s.

During the early 60s I waitressed at a small ice cream parlor/diner in my home town. Not really a fast food restaurant; rather, a notch or so up. The soup/sandwich combo was 65¢. Got to serve Rock Hudson that special!

Come to think of it...it's now 40+ years later and those same McD's burgers are $1. Sure wish the inflation of real estate and gas was comparable!

Pomai...I, too, remember the Moby Jack but not the Frings!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            15¢ burgers at McDs...circa mid 1960s.

I, too, remember the Moby Jack but not the Frings!
                            Ditto, TutuSue.... first ever fast food I had, Grandpa sprung for the 15 cent Mickey D's.... 10 cent Coke, but no fries for me... he was kinda frugal.

Then as a high schooler, Moby Jack was the sandwich of choice. Moved on to Burger King Whalers, now back at Mickey's for the Filet O'Fish. Good times. Frings? Really? Missed it.

Comment

Interesting how as of yet, none of you (including myself) remember Jack in the Box' Frings® (circa 1979). Must have been a very short-lived item.

OK then, much more recent than that, did any of you get to try Taco Bell's Kalua Pork Soft Taco ($1.89), Grilled Stuft Burrito ($3.79) or Quesadilla ($2.99?...

I did. FWIW, it was pretty darned good! These three items were available for a limited time around March 2008. Notice on the poster it says it features May's Kalua Pork. I wasn't even aware May's MADE Kalua Pork until seeing that. Then sure enough, right there in the supermarket next to the May's chicken and shortribs was May's Kalua Pork. Well I'll be darned.

Don't know what the sales figures were like on them, but if it was well-received (like I thought), they should consider bringing it back, like how McD's brought back the Haupia and Taro Pie.

In some cases, the regional specialties at national franchises are more popular (because they just taste better) than their permanent corporate menu items. Not saying so for myself, but I bet more Hawaii locals order the Portuguese Sausage, Eggs and Rice over the Egg McMuffin for breakfast at McDs. At least that's been my observation.

The worst thing McD's tried to do though was make a "plate lunch" out of the same patties they use for their sandwiches. lol Remember that? I think the Aina Haina McD's was the one who started that. I actually never did any of them myself, but from what I heard about them, don't think I missed out on it.

With that it must be noted, the Aina Haina McDonald's was the FIRST location to set up shop in Hawaii back in 1968.
                              Last edited by Pomai; January 26, 2009, 09:45 AM.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X